If Luke Beats Costa, Don't Be Surprised if He Becomes Champion Again - Bisping

Rockhold (16-5 MMA, 6-4 UFC), a former Strikeforce and UFC middleweight champion, has struggled in recent years. After he dethroned Chris Weidman at UFC 194 in 2015 to win the title, Rockhold has lost three of four by knockout, including his first attempted title defense against Bisping.

A failed stint at light heavyweight against Jan Blachowicz, who went on to win the 205-pound title, prompted Rockhold to take some time off. But the 37-year-old is set to return for the first time since July 2019 when he takes on Paulo Costa (13-2 MMA, 5-2 UFC) at UFC 278 on Aug. 20.

“If Rockhold beats (Costa), don’t be surprised if he becomes champion of the world once again,” Bisping said on his YouTube channel.

Bisping thinks Rockhold’s well-rounded skill set and strong ground game could pose some problems for UFC middleweight champion Israel Adesanya (22-1 MMA, 11-1 UFC), who defends his title against Jared Cannonier in Saturday’s UFC 276 headliner in Las Vegas. In a recent interview with MMA Junkie, Rockhold said he’s the only man who can beat Adesanya at 185 pounds.

“Adesanya needs fresh meat,” Bisping said. “What does Rockhold have that could trouble Adesanya? Well, for one, he’s about the same height. He’s probably about the same reach. Athletically, he’s just as good. Granted, he’s a little bit older, so maybe not quite as fast. Maybe the reflexes aren’t there. But we know about the ground game of Rockhold, we know about the top pressure, we know about how deadly he can be on the feet.

“I’m just saying, with this new reinvigorated Luke Rockhold, this new version, this samurai that went away and learned from his past mistakes and now has come back centered, grounded, hungry, sober, personal problems behind him, I think this Luke Rockhold could be a nightmare for a lot of people in the middleweight division.”

1 Like

“I think Izzy’s a great champion, I think he’s a good character, I like Izzy. I’m not going to lie. I want to fight him, for sure. I think he wins this fight, I mean, Jared Cannonier throws hard. He could hit a leg in the wrong spot – you never know – or land something wild. But I think Izzy’s range and his dynamicness is going to be too much. Jared can try to take him down, but he doesn’t have enough solid top game to hold him.” (h/t MMAJunkie)

Luke Rockhold continued, “I think I’m the only one that can beat Izzy. Employ the right tactics, and I’ve got that fight.”

1 Like

Sober? Was Luke struggling with alcohol or substance abuse issues?

Might just be alcohol.

1 Like

Believe, Achieve

1 Like

He’s got the talent, but I doubt very much he has the chin. Toss up with Costa, hope Luke beats him, but I think his chin will give way early

2 Likes

Lukes chin has been suspect as of late, if he gets by Costa great, but Costa just needs one. If he fights Izzy then Rockhold might get it to the ground and thats his only shot, he wont last 5 rounds with Izzy standing, he will get slept, Izzy will hit him and he will hurt him, he has sleo way better chins

2 Likes

My guess is costa.doesnt make weight and this fight never happens

Luke said he didn’t have a problem but he did stop drinking. Maybe enjoyed too much for a bit.

1 Like

ya think

2 Likes