If our gravitational pull to the sun just stopped.

Would we just instantly die or just chill for a bit then die? Phone Post 3.0

I'm pretty sure the affects would be felt immediately but it wouldn't be instantaneous.

Let's say the gravitational pull stopped instantaneously. The earth would probably take off on a trajectory tangential to its orbit. So it would be travelling away from the sun at 67,000 miles per hour. I'd give us a few days at best before the temperature drop kills us.

Of course, that's assuming we don't collide with the moon or something.

Our ozone layer would hold in the remaining heat for maybe 100 years then we'd be in trouble.

We would end up meeting Mars in a very bad collision

PoiuPoiu - have you ever seen the game were people place their forehead on a bat, then spin around the bat like 10 times.

when they stop spinning, they die
That totally explains middle school, thanks. Phone Post 3.0

In for real answers. To me the answer seems to be a definite "we would die instantly". But I dunno. Phone Post 3.0

StevetheWeasel - We'd be fine.

Even without the sun, most of us have indoor heating and lights. Even indoor growing lights. So we don't have to worry about food.

We've honestly passed the point of needing the sun at all. We would hardly know it was gone.

This

Elephants would become mammoths again Phone Post 3.0

The real answer is our doom would be met when Jupiter sucks us in. The earth is being tugged on by the sun and Jupiter, take one away and we're fucked. Phone Post 3.0

OGT - The real answer is our doom would be met when Jupiter sucks us in. The earth is being tugged on by the sun and Jupiter, take one away and we're fucked. Phone Post 3.0
I wish I believed you. Phone Post 3.0

TFK_Tom O'Bedlam - In for real answers. To me the answer seems to be a definite "we would die instantly". But I dunno. Phone Post 3.0

Not instantly, but we could not avoid the others planets that are also circling the sun

thedogofdogs -
TFK_Tom O'Bedlam - In for real answers. To me the answer seems to be a definite "we would die instantly". But I dunno. Phone Post 3.0

Not instantly, but we could not avoid the others planets that are also circling the sun

I just don't see how we could survive a gravitational shift of that magnitude. Phone Post 3.0

TFK_Tom O'Bedlam -
thedogofdogs -

I just don't see how we could survive a gravitational shift of that magnitude. Phone Post 3.0
That's what im thinking also. Phone Post 3.0

If the sun were to disappear the earth would actually continue on its current orbit for the approximately 7 minutes it takes for light to reach us. Nothing goes faster then the speed of light not even the effects of gravity Phone Post 3.0

TFK_Tom O'Bedlam - 
thedogofdogs -

I don't think we could either, luckily there is no chance of this scenario happening :)

In for grady, who should be able to explain this by virtue of going to the same gym as NDT.

thedogofdogs -
TFK_Tom O'Bedlam - 
thedogofdogs -

I don't think we could either, luckily there is no chance of this scenario happening :)

True. Phone Post 3.0

Reading a book right now by CM Kornbluth and Frederik Pohl about the earth being pulled away from the sun by aliens. Cool shit. Phone Post 3.0

PoiuPoiu - have you ever seen the game were people place their forehead on a bat, then spin around the bat like 10 times.

when they stop spinning, they die

LMAO