If you don't know, shut your mouth. UR opinion sux

Really. Case in point on the thread about the Christian woman sentenced to death. You feel like you have a point to make? You've heard of the Crusades. You know who the principle parties were (Christians and Muslims). So you think, hey, I'll just drop this nugget of knowledge on all these folks who apparently remain unaware of history.

Please, please, please think before you do this. Unless you have the knowledge necessary to place the Crusades into historical context, and knowledge regarding not just that period of time but also the centuries before and after as well, just don't say anything. Because at that point, what you have is not an informed opinion. You possess merely a collection of facts and nothing more. This is not the basis for an opinion. And an uninformed opinion is worth nothing.

And please, feel free to extend these guidelines to every other topic of conversation that you might come upon. Want to talk about modern warplanes? You should have knowledge not only of at least the last 25 years of aerial combat, but also the current production capabilities of each country in question.

Too many people talking while not knowing what they're talking about.

CoolStoryBro.jpg Phone Post 3.0

Thank you, Nitecrawler. I appreciate your support in getting the word out.

Soul Gravy - Thank you, Nitecrawler. I appreciate your support in getting the word out.

Phone Post 3.0

Lol nc always does that shit. I agree op and im also a hypocrite cause I may or may not get called out for this all the time. Phone Post 3.0

This is the downside of encouraging kids to have a positive self image without actually making them into people that would justify that self image. Half the population are below average intelligence, many more are ignorant or have stupid ideas, but I guarantee almost all of them think they're smart, well informed people. Phone Post 3.0

So how far back should we know before we can talk about the crusades? Should we know how Mohammed took parts of Christianity, Zoarastrianism, Judaism and a few other hybrid versions of those religions that were floating around the arabian peninsula at the time and created islam using a former Pagan stone god named Allah? Or do you want a full social studies lesson in 1000 AD euro asian economics and how they traded with each other?

Hey Kirik can we get a history ground going for this guy? History ground would be fun. Phone Post 3.0

As a history major that took multiple classes on the Crusades, I feel your pain. But you are fighting a losing battle. People will talk out their duodenum no matter how much they do or don't know. It's part of human vanity. Phone Post 3.0

You know this shit was like 1000 years ago? Phone Post 3.0

The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias which can "manifest in one of two ways:

- Unskilled individuals suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly rating their ability much higher than is accurate. This bias is attributed to a metacognitive inability of the unskilled to recognize their ineptitude.[1]
- Those persons to whom a skill or set of skills come easily may find themselves with weak self-confidence, as they may falsely assume that others have an equivalent understanding. See Impostor syndrome."

Nitecrawler - 
Soul Gravy - Thank you, Nitecrawler. I appreciate your support in getting the word out.

Phone Post 3.0

Haha, I saw the thing on Yahoo! questions, I'm glad the OG adopted this. Fucking hilarious.

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/7f/7fb2721b2e1c44e827f66b559e6006ed71389d5aae65a4490a10569f544794b5.jpg

ThePrinceThatWasPromised -
rbl - This is the downside of encouraging kids to have a positive self image without actually making them into people that would justify that self image. Half the population are below average intelligence, many more are ignorant or have stupid ideas, but I guarantee almost all of them think they're smart, well informed people. Phone Post 3.0

Opinions are like assholes everyone has one and they all stink.

I've always taken this to mean you should treat your opinions like your anus, as in keep them to yourself and not flash them around at dinner. Great advice.

Not all opinions are equally dumb though, just like some assholes are pink little early 90s Jenna Jameson ones and some are blown out hairy disaster areas. Phone Post 3.0

Information - "You possess merely a collection of facts and nothing more. This is not the basis for an opinion."

Facts can't form the basis of an opinion? I don't know about that, man.

lol. I was thinking along similar lines. Now I hate myself (based on the collection of facts presented).

The problem is that you think you know how to use the OG but you don't. Phone Post 3.0