if you don't listen to history......

I think it's funny that people are complaining about wrestlers wrestling their way to victories..... It seems no matter what rule set we basically wind up at this point.

NHB - takedown and headbutt

Grappling- win on takedowns and top control

MMA- wrestle for position and control the rounds.

Judo- trying to stop wrestling as much as possible.

I just think it's funny people keep trying to change the wheel and wonder why it either doesn't work or they keep ending up with the same design. The techniques of wrestling were developed thousands of years ago and many of the fundamental basics are still the same BECAUSE THEY WORK!

I know wrestling might be boring to some much like pbf's defense is boring to many but the main issue I feel like people are not comprehending is wrestling IS the most effective and needed base for the martial arts.

I have always wondered if the reason for wrestling at all was they realized that the better wrestler was winning most of the fights anyhow lets not bother punching each other and just wrestle to find the better man.

Fuck Yeah! Another wrestling thread!

it's a third of mma, Y wouldn't there be one?

blank - well to be fair, look at the rule changes FILA has made over the years trying to make freestyle and greco more appealing to the masses. Instead of trying to educate the uninitiated, they alter themselves and in the end don't gain any more popularity and piss off the current coaches, athletes and fans.

UFC should do more events that let people interact with the athletes and basically teach people a bit more about the different aspects of mma. Look at what the NFL did with some of their skills competitions and simulators.

I should really be on the UFC payroll, there's so much potential they're just not seeing.

exactly and each time they change the rules, it seems basic fundalmental positions and techniques still win! I'm just saying I seriously doubt a few brothers in brazil figured it all out, or a couple thai's kicking bags figured it all out.... I think the sport that has been around for thousands of years seems to have a huge advantage in age to mature it's techniques and it is "big brothering" the other martial arts at the moments. Not saying the other ones don't have techniques or good merits worth learning, but a rule change like people are wishing for other than outright banning of techniques like judo is trying isn't going to help.

I agree with you. It's actually really pathetic how fanboys try to make excuses and come up with some mythical ruleset under which wrestling isn't so effective. It's the same old shit. First it was "A wrestler would never take me down", then "I'd just poke his eyes out/kick him in the groin etc" and these days we have a variety of new versions of wishful thinking, each more tenuous than the last. Like, "knees to the head would stop wrestlers". Whatever.

It's not even just the wrestling abilities of people from that background, it's their overall athleticism and will to win. To think they couldn't adopt to the most minor of rule changes and still dominate is absurd. There is no rule set under which Mousasi would reliably beat King Mo, or Hardy beaten GSP(or any of GSP's recent opponents beat him), or Daley beat Koscheck, or Marquardt beat Sonnen, or Tiago/Saunders beat Fitch.

You have to be able to stop the takedown, or you have to be able to threaten with sweeps or subs from your back. there is no magic alterative. If you can't show any signs of being able to do those things under the current rule set, you have no chance of beating a wrestler most of the time.

You are right RUSRedDevil, wrestling just ends up floating to the top. I wrestled in high school so I like watching it. I put on the free prelims at a party Saturday night and everyone watching made a comment as it being either boring or gay whenever it went to the ground. So fuck it! It is what it is, wrestling dominates as usual and mma isn't for everyone.

You have to be able to wrestle.  If you want to keep it on the feet, learn some fucking TDD and circle out when you are against the cage.  No excuse to bitch and moan when another fighter nullifies your strengths because you have no wrestling ability - or don't utilize it.

RUSRedDevil - I think it's funny that people are complaining about wrestlers wrestling their way to victories..... It seems no matter what rule set we basically wind up at this point.

NHB - takedown and headbutt

Grappling- win on takedowns and top control

MMA- wrestle for position and control the rounds.

Judo- trying to stop wrestling as much as possible.

k i dont even know what this thread is about but arent you missing the word submission somewhere in there?