If you don't want to engage,don't become a fighter

First, let me say that I am a huge Anderson Silva fan.

Second, I am not the "casual" fan who is out to see blood, and a knockout 30-seconds into the fight. I have trained in Muay Thai and BBJ for the last 2 and a half years. I do appreciate a "tactical" battle.

Regarding Anderson's performance tonight, Joe Schmo off the side of the road can stand in the center of the Octagon, pawing at their opponent, refusing to engage. A professional fighter on the other hand, presses the action and... well.. fights. Fighting is an inherently violent, and dangerous competition. A fight is not standing on the outside, refusing-- blatantly-- to do anything. What is fighting if not to defeat your opponent in convincing fashion? The goal in any combat sport is to win, and win decisively. If you don't want to do so, and are willing to settle for a five-round decision then do something else. As a mixed martial artist, how can you be satisified with a performance like that? Theoretically, that's what separates a fighter from the average person: the willingness to put yourself in harms way to defeat your opponent. If you don't want to get hit, take up another profession.

Does anyone go into any kind of competition-- athletic or otherwise-- saying, "Okay, I want to do as little as possible to win"? No. And certainly, not those who wish to be deemed the greatest athletes in their respective sport. Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, Bobby Orr: these people never settled. They have a competitive drive that pushes them to do whatever it takes to win, and win in such a fashion that there is no doubt in anyone's mind that they are, indeed, the best.

Anderson, on the other hand, sat on the outside doing nothing, flashing "fancy leg side kicks" at his opponents knee. That's the equivalent of Michael Jordan performing 50 consecutive crossovers until the 24 second shot clock expires.

Certainly, I can appreciate the role defense plays in a match, but what was displayed by Anderson tonight was a pure lack of effort, and truly horrifying to watch. Anderson Silva did not fight tonight, he showed us how not to get hit. Sorry Joe Rogan, that was not a technical battle-- that was a snoozefest.Next time I want to see two people dance, I'll turn on Dancing With The Stars or Starnes vs. Quarry.

LOL anderson engaged a lot more than leites.

^^That's a small victory

Go look at a picture of Leites face dumb ass. He made a top contender look like a fool. Everytime Anderson jabbed Leties he rolled to the ground. You are no Anderson fan so shut the fuck up wit hthat. Go back to lurking

And lol @ you telling Anderson not to be a fighter he domianted Franklin, Marquardt, hendo, and now Leites yeah he shouldnt be a ifghter why dont you tell us who should.

VectorWega - 
totalwreckage - Everytime Anderson jabbed Leties he rolled to the ground.  
Which round was it that Anderson punched above Leites's waist?

so I guess it was just magical that Leites face was bloodies and bruised, maybe he took all that damage by rolling on the ground?

Third round I think. Everytime Silva's hand got anywhere near Leites's head, he'd just flop. I think Silva even tried to clinch a couple of times after throwing combos, and Leites would just flop.

From: trueblues Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile
Posted: 1 hour ago
Edited: 04/19/09 2:29 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up

come on there noob tell us all how it should be!
Tool. You never trained a day in your fucking life.
GTFO

every MMA fighter thinks leites is a pussy right now. thales included.

and you can quote me on that.

to BEAT the CHAMP...you Gotta not buttflopp all night. also avoiding his kick, jabs and overall mockery of your "ground game" also helps.

Did this idiot just compare hockey and basketball to mma? when i saw this i just stopped reading instantly.. you're stupid give up.. all i get out of this post is.. "EVERYONE SHOULD BRAWL AND SWING NON STOP!"

^That's not what I got out of the post. This is a response to the hordes of threads asking why on earth Anderson would put himself in harms way. OP is saying that if you're not willing to put yourself at risk, don't fight. Yes, Silva has engaged in the past, and he was exciting when he did. Hell, he won in convincing fashion when he did. BUT if you get to a point in your career when you stop wanting to "put yourself at risk", I'm gonna whine about it and feel justified in doing so. I like this thread. VTFU.

Totally disagree with the thread starter. Combat sports are different. Let's see Michael Jordan and Tiger Woods get in the octagon then. If you want any kind of career longevity, then the goal is to absorb as little punishment as possible. Lennox lewis and Vladimir Klitchko don't slug it out with their opponents. The goal in boxing is to do the most damage while taking the least. Getting in slugfests just cuts your career shorter. Then once you lose, you are forgotten...screw that...

Leites and his horrible gameplan survived to lose a 5 round decision. Who else has done that?

That, in itself, is worth more than getting KTFO because you chose to play in the deep end of the pool before you were a strong swimmer.

"Lennox lewis and Vladimir Klitchko don't slug it out with their opponents."

And people learned REAL quick to stop buying their fights

i agree with the threadstarter. silva was playing the counter-striker the entire time and was satisfied with that.

there is a reason fedor is p4p #1.

People use Leite's face as an example of how badly he was beaten by Silva. If Silva could pound on him so easily and bust him up in about oh... 2 minutes ot cumulative fight time, why didn't he just go ahead and take another 10-15 seconds and KHTFO?

Silva's antics are unfathomable to me. I'm not sure I care to watch him fight again.

greco yeoman - "Lennox lewis and Vladimir Klitchko don't slug it out with their opponents."

And people learned REAL quick to stop buying their fights

And people are free to do that. However, that doesn't take away from their fighting skills or their ability as a fighter. How the fuck someone who has "trained in Muay Thai and BBJ (WTF is that?)" can say they're not real fighters is bullshit. The threadstarter is just being an ass. How can someone who has never been in a professional fight talk about what a professional fight is supposed to be, and how champions aren't real fighters? Oh yeah, you train in BBJ...

Grakman -  why didn't he just go ahead and take another 10-15 seconds and KHTFO?

Because doing so would have been an unnecessary risk. In order to finish Leites he'd have had to get close, and stay close longer than is a good idea against a fighter like him.

Smart champions do not take unneccsary risks.

Smart champions also do not lose their titles to guys that couldn't employ their own game plans.

AmidaHidan - LOL anderson engaged a lot more than leites.
if anyone wasn't engaging- it was thales. It's thales job to take the belt from Anderson. Anderson should of just stood in the middle of the octagon IMO

I think it's bullshit that you guys expect Silva to engage the entire fight throwing caution out the window. He was up against a very dangerous ground opponent and so he stayed on the outside. This is exactly what Machida did against Ortiz. And guess what, as soon as he got on the ground with Ortiz in round three he nerely lost. Silva used his strength and I felt he was pretty damn convincing.

trueblues - The goal in any combat sport is to win, and win decisively. If you don't want to do so, and are willing to settle for a five-round decision then do something else. As a mixed martial artist, how can you be satisified with a performance like that? Theoretically, that's what separates a fighter from the average person: the willingness to put yourself in harms way to defeat your opponent.

That wasn't a decisive win? So, are you saying that Leites won most of the rounds or that it was a draw? Because, if you think either of those things was the case, you don't know what you were watching. The only valid conclusion, watching that fight, was that Anderson Silva won the decision. So it was an unquestionable, ergo decisive, win. That's exactly what winning decisively means. Silva wanted to win decisively. He did win decisively. By your own criteria, he did what MMA fighters are supposed to do. Your complaint is that he didn't win pretty or entertaining: if that's it, fair enough, but don't pretend that it has anything to do with a desire to win.

The basketball comparisons kind of suck. This fight was more like they showed up for a hundred yard dash and Leites started crawling. Silva would win at a walk by a wide margin, so if winning decisively is what matters why would he run as hard as he can?

Just admit it. This has nothing to do with skill, and nothing to do with competition: Silva's skills were clearly superior, he clearly won the competition. These are non-issues. The only issue is your entertainment, and there are plenty of people complaining about that already, so don't start with such obviously false justifications.