If you live in these eight states, you might be able to conceal carry soon no matter what - who will?

They can do what NYC does, which is purposely under-fund the NYPD dept. responsible for reviewing applications and issuing permits.

And that is with NY being a may issue state. Imagine how many more applications they’d get in NYC alone if NY became shall issue, all while the budget wouldn’t include another dime to increase permitting.

2 Likes

That shit is soooo wrong. A right delayed is a right denied.

1 Like

CNN had on their frontpage that Justice Sotomayor warns SCOTUS will show a dramatic conservative turn in upcoming decisions.

This is FANTASTIC foreshadowing for the 2A case.

They added another opinion day for this Friday. It’s technically possible we’ll know by the end of this week.

3 Likes

Won’t ever happen in CA.
I live in a county that won’t issue conceals unless you’re a well connected LEO.
Good luck changing that shit.

I share your skepticism as well. Still hoping for the best and this is the best chance. The dominos are falling, though - it’s already in place where HALF of US states are constitutional carry. Appears that it will ultimately trend in this direction. They also address how all the states with people carrying have not turned every public place into the wild west, as is being argued. If you listen to the oral arguments, they are aware that states will try and declare most places like Times Square or the subway as sensitive places so that most public places would be no different than being inside an airport. Hopefully it will be specifically addressed.

THE WISE LATINA (LATINX)

That’s why I never applied for my CCW in MD when I had my business. There’s such a bias that I was afraid I could easily run afoul of the law. Ie carrying gun outside of business hours, or not having large sums of cash. As much as I wanted it, wasn’t worth the risk.

1 Like

Just went through in Ohio a couple weeks ago

6-3 struck down. This does NOT mean consitutional carry. This means shall issue instead of may issue. If you are a legal person to possess a firearm they cannot deny you by some vague “good cause” permission anymore.

Excerpt:

The constitutional right to bear arms in public for self-defense is not “a second-class right, subject to an entirely different body of rules than the other Bill of Rights guarantees.” McDonald, 561 U. S., at 780 (plurality opinion). We know of no other constitutional right that an individual may exercise only after demonstrating to government officers some special need. That is not how the First Amendment works when it comes to unpopular speech or the free exercise of religion. It is not how the Sixth Amendment works when it comes to a defendant’s right to confront the witnesses against him. And it is not how the Second Amendment works when it comes to public carry for self-defense.

New York’s proper-cause requirement violates the Fourteenth Amendment in that it prevents law-abiding citizens with ordinary self-defense needs from exercising their right to keep and bear arms. We therefore reverse the judgment of the Court of Appeals and remand the case for further proceedings consistent with this opinion.

Correct me if wrong…say I’m in a restrictive county like SF.

This ruling changes nothing immediately…until someone sues the county, forcing them to abide?

Well, it’s California, they’ll try to. But technically, your head honcho sheriff will have to make a decision on how they will proceed but technically, you should be able to apply now and they cannot use good cause as a reason for denial. Every department that was may issue is scrambling right now. Get ahead my friend and apply now.

sounds like IL’s CCW laws… you can get it… but they make it as hard as fucking possible. I have to do my renewal class the end of next month. Its been taking 6 to 18 months to get the FOID/CCW cards. And now I guess there is no expiration date on them, but they still expire. I hate IL.

2 Likes

wow

effective immediately, as in today?

thanks for the summaries and explanations, BTW

1 Like