If you’re a young fighter and want to make serious money

If you have a following and a big personality, looking at Sean O’Malley for instance, why not clique up with Jake Paul’s crew

He wants the credibility. Increase your social media numbers, beat the shit out of mediocre talent, make real money.

If I were Mike Perry, I’d definitely try this avenue out.

2 Likes

Case in point, the Diaz brothers.

They got paid. Their sport ability and successes aren’t what got them paid.

It was their persona.

Same with Masvidal, only it took 15 years.

The boxer Ryan Garcia is another example. He is a talented young fighter that is worth MUCH more becuase of his social media presence.

1 Like

100%

I’ve been saying this for a while.

Building a following and getting a reliable fanbase used to be a promoter’s job but now, its on the fighters. And when the fighters have that fanbase, they can dictate the terms to the promoters before they sign the contracts. I sincerely hope more fighters follow the Jake Paul example.

1 Like

GSP agrees:
“I’m not one of the haters,” St-Pierre told JOE.co.uk in a recent interview (h/t Alexander K. Lee of MMA Fighting). “I think they’re doing well. They’re great athletes and they ride the wave, they make a lot of money with it, and I’m glad for him. My friend Jean Pascal trained with one of them in Puerto Rico, I think they’re both there actually. He said they work very hard, they’re hard workers, they ride the wave, you know. It’s a new era with social media and all that, so why not, you know? Who would not have done it? Who would not take advantage of it? And they do it.”

1 Like

You say this like it’s just obvious and so easy to just get a following the level of the Paul brothers…

Never claimed it was easy. Then again, neither is training for a fight.

We know who the marketable fighters are. They know too since their followers are larger than typical.

Math tests are hard too, what’s your point?

Having personality and working hard don’t just give you the kind of following you are saying would help them. That shit takes years and years of consistent work and material.

You really think no fighters have tried this?

This is a legit point. It’s not enough to just be a great fighter when it comes to earnings. The new era of how many followers on social media now seem to be nearly as important. I don’t know it as fact but I’ve heard it’s a metric the UFC uses when negotiating contracts.

Some people are more gifted in terms of personality, but to increase your perceived worth it doesn’t hurt to push yourself out of your comfort zone. A friend in Bellator has done well and is ranked in the top 10 for his weight class. Had he been gifted with the Chael personality the UFC would have offered him a contract. His career and platform would have been very different. Not knocking him, he’s a beast but when it comes to earnings charisma is a huge factor.

Excellent idea.

1 Like

Id .much rather put my time and energy into training. When I fought I had a decent following without doing barely any social media work . I much rather train then pretend to be someone I’m not . All that trash talking and looking like a fool on social media is not who I am .but if it works for other people then more power to them .

Will Ferrell Yes GIF

That is why @Roejogan said to clique up with them, not to emulate them.

If you are a young prospect and get in with those guys you piggyback off their work. It is a smart move for sure.

Get in with the Paul bros, start fucking some hot streamer girl, career made.

It wouldnt even be that hard. Despite being rich and famous already they are still clout chasers. A legit fighter would have an easy time getting in with them because having legit fighters openly on your team makes YOU look more legit.

1 Like

I’d imagine most of the fighters are “alpha” male types. Overwhelmingly, I’d imagine.

This is why I was always surprised to see fighters back off, seemingly playing a role because that is what is expected.

Yet, Diaz bros kept it real. Imagine if they were coming up now and trying to make it only through merit

Wouldn’t it benefit them to promote their IG. Craft an image. Show their true nature. Most fighters could craft a persona that sells.

Shoot, plain old Chael is still relevant (and excels) in MMA becuase of his efforts to craft an image.

We know it works in WWE. Public relations for nearly every actor/actress.

That these fighters are hoping to go on a win streak, fight for belt, finally earn PPV points isn’t happening.

1 Like

Easily, a guy like Mike Perry that has no title chance at this point could benefit.

Shit, he could join the brothers and turn on them. Beat one up and that’s be 5 million followers overnight.

It’s all theater. Play the game.

1 Like

Exactly. Look how many guys go on incredible streaks and cant even get a top 5 fight much less a shot at a belt.

This isnt a tournament, it is prize fighting. The UFC wants champs who SELL. Anything else is secondary to that.

I’d say that any fighter, especially ethnic ones, with a look and talk to match, could explode

All it would take is being a “UFC fighter” and the MSM picks up story.

Just call out any bitch ass rapper. Immediate clout.

1 Like

Mike Perry is literally one guy that was with Jake Paul sparring.

Dillon Danis couldn’t have been closer to McGregor but it didn’t get him shit.

I understand what you’re saying about buddying up and piggybacking but even that isn’t just a given.

If you can get in that circle it could be great but good luck. I feel like these guys don’t need other fighters around and if it’s not a 2-way beneficial relationship they may not keep you around unless you’re a legit friend…which is even harder I’m sure with the clingers and hangers that must be huge in numbers.

Decent idea, hard to achieve.

I dont know how you can say that. People know who he is and he is making a killer living now.

1 Like

Danis:

• Over a million followers now
  • Only 2 fights into his MMA career
  • Jake Paul’s first choice for an MMA opponent

He’s a tool, or at least he pretends to be one. He plays that part of his image up. He understands the social media game and is making $ becuase of it. Doesn’t seem too difficult

Isnt there a BJJ guy at 155 that is super good but nobody wants to fight him? Believe he fought BJ Penn. that guy is a word champ BJJ and hardly anybody knows him.

Do you think he shouldn’t try and expand his social media image? Is his path to money winning a belt and then PPV points? Good luck with that.