If you stream a UFC ppv, is it still wrong if....

you choose to stream a european stream that doesn't have the ppv format instead has the free ufc on tv format?

Like if you stream a ufc ppv and there aren't any commercials but there is the occassional mention of a sponsor(Harley Davidson/Xience), that is wrong because you are watching something illegal that is being charged for most people?

But if you stream a ufc ppv that isn't a ppv in another country, meaning it's free in that country(but you have to see the occassional european commercials), UFC isn't charging that country anything to be on free tv, then is it the same thing?

What are the rules if you live in the country it is free in, but stream it anyway? Like maybe your tv is broke?

Seems to be some grey areas.

Nothing to grey about it. It's either free or not in your home country.

let your life be directed by your own moral compass.

RicGillespie - Nothing to grey about it. It's either free or not in your home country.

So in this scenario, it's okay to stream?

SevenLeggedSpider - 

What are the rules if you live in the country it is free in, but stream it anyway? Like maybe your tv is broke?

Seems to be some grey areas.

To add to that, if you say it's okay to stream if I live in a country where it is free, what if I stream an American ppv stream, where I don't have to see the commercials?  Is that stealing or is that ok?  I would feel i'm getting a benefit of no commercials by streaming a ppv product, so this makes it grey in my eyes.

Excellent thread my fren. I think it depends on the policy of the Tv channel that is airing it for free. Once a certain channel is at play (not PPV), it's out of UFCs hands.

Ziga - Excellent thread my fren. I think it depends on the policy of the Tv channel that is airing it for free. Once a certain channel is at play (not PPV), it's out of UFCs hands.

Interesting.

I bet this gets even more complicated when you bring in streams where the UFC isn't ppv, but isn't free, but is part of a package deal or monthly fee.

Best resolution is to sign Ben Askren, increase fighter pay, have tournaments again, and put on the occassional super fight, and no one will have a need to stream.

I know some people won't buy the pay per views because of all the advertisements within the ppv programs like for movies and beer and all that junk. Phone Post 3.0

SevenLeggedSpider - 
Ziga - Excellent thread my fren. I think it depends on the policy of the Tv channel that is airing it for free. Once a certain channel is at play (not PPV), it's out of UFCs hands.

Interesting.

I bet this gets even more complicated when you bring in streams where the UFC isn't ppv, but isn't free, but is part of a package deal or monthly fee.

Best resolution is to sign Ben Askren, increase fighter pay, have tournaments again, and put on the occassional super fight, and no one will have a need to stream.

Yes, it ultimately has to come down to who (which company) is suffering damages as a result of your stream. This is why it gets interesting; Channels that are free make their money by commercials. So a stream of such channel does not cause damage to the companies being advertised, but if the channel gets paid for commercial airtime, by views, then that channel does suffer.
Perhaps if these streams of free channels added a legitimate view counter that would hold up officially in increasing the channels airtime value, hey could become legitimized.

I don't think that above logic implies to your second example (non ppv payable channels),because they suffer damages simply for not purchasing the "package".

And I'm always up for tournaments, a bunch of competitors, streamed towards one winner.

I streamed 168 from a dodgy site, but then i have BT so i had payed for it, i just couldn't be fucked staying up :P.

Ziga - And I'm always up for tournaments, a bunch of competitors, streamed towards one winner.

I C what you did there

Is this a serious question?

rockafella - Is this a serious question?

2 answers.

At first.....NO lol(hence the troll face)

But as discussions unfolded, it has brought some serious curiosity from me and perhaps others as well.

The answers probably don't matter at all in the long run, but I am kind of interested on this stuff and the loopholes and laws and whatnot.

Good stuff that stream is Phone Post 3.0

UGCTT_WarHunt - iirc streaming is not considered piracy or illegal by the supreme court b/c nothing is being stored on your device.

You have to understand that copywriting is a slippery slope. If you buy a dvd, can you let your friend borrow it? If ufc succeeds you won't be able to, b/c its not about the disc, its about their intellectual property.

and NO COURT especially those of your peers would ever, nor have ever convicted anyone. It's not going to happen until everything is digital and online. Until they stop "selling" you something and you start "renting", or whatever word they choose to use.

This post may have gone over my head. Seems like a lot of smart mumbo jumbo stuff to me, but in lay-man's terms....

Are you saying that it is not illegal to watch a stream, but it is illegal to provide a stream?

Meaning if I go to streamufc.com(not a website) and watch the next ppv via stream there, it's legal for me...

however the website owner of streamufc.com it's illegal and he is breaking the law and could get fined and/or arrested?(b/c he provided the stream)

Whole new can of worms-

What about finding an online upload an hour or 2 after the event has happened?

That's not streaming it.  

steam, stream, stream the tv, stick it to u f c.....marily marily marily marily I wish they brought back Dream

jk

Pride

Never Die!!

I've always been under the impression that it's illegal to host a stream, but there is nothing they can do to stop/convict you of watching one. Phone Post 3.0

SevenLeggedSpider - 

I don’t know who you are. I don’t know what you want.

If you are looking for permission, I can tell you I don't have that authority. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you.

If you stop streaming now, that’ll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don’t...

-CindyO

^^Ending is gold!!