If you think Cain will take down Werdum

Cain would beat Werdum up against the cage if they were to fight. Werdum would gas hard and fast, and Cain would finish him wherever he wanted after that.

sparkuri -
MasterofMartialArts -
sparkuri -
fryingarmbar - Cain is too athletic for Werdum. He'd box him up and wrestle defensively if he had to.

I like Werdum more but I think it's fairly obvious JDS and Cain are on another level compared to the rest of the division. Phone Post 3.0

That's not true.
Werdum can beat Cain. Styles make fights. Werdum could easily catch a sub on Cain.
And Cain's striking is no better than Fab's, and Fab has better knees and harder kicks.
Guys like JDS and Reem may have his number.
Another example. Reem could probably beat Cain more often than not, and JDS could probably beat Reem more often than not. Bigfoot can beat Reem, but Cain's got his #.
And on and on.
Many would agree though, Cain's gas tank is second to none. Phone Post

Werdum COULD beat Cain, but its not likely. I disagree about the stand up, I think is much more technically sound, better movement and footwork, and is much quicker. He could not EASILY sub Cain. He could if Cain put himself in a position like that, but Cain is too smart to play to Werdums strength. He can beat him in the stand up, yeah Werdum can throw kicks without regard for the takedown, but his kicks are slow and I can see Cain catching them and making him pay. Werdum also showed that he didn't train for a 25 minute fight, and that is a mistake against Cain. I think his only chance is if they get caught in a scramble and he comes away with the quick submission. Even with that, I think Cain is too smart. I also think people tend to underrate Cains power, he KOd Nog, Bigfoot, and finished Brock in under a round (something Carwin couldn't do), hurt JDS bad with a right hand and had him in survival mode the whole fight, his power is definitely underrated, and his punching accuracy sure helps it. Phone Post 3.0

Cain's standup is VASTLY OVERRATED.
The reason he finds success is surprise. No one he's fought really expects a stand up fight with him, which is a credit to him.
But his footwork is NOT good, NOR is his head movement. It's sloppy, and anyone in boxing will tell you that.
Werdum is better in the clinch(knees), and short range(jabs). He's better on his back as well.
And sure he could easily sub Cain. He easily subbed Fedor & Nog, & countless others in his life.
Wrestler with scrap and gas vs. BJJ master with strength, ect..
Both guys are smart. I'd give mental fortitude to Cain.
But keep in mind, Cain doesn't(or hasn't) changed his style. There is no secret to him. It's full steam ahead, and no one loves that more than a bjjBB.
Not as easy a call as some make out. Phone Post

Ghost doesn't think so. And I'm preeeetty sure he's a boxer.
http://www.mmamania.com/2013/5/2/4293686/mayweather-vs-guerrero-ghost-calls-ufc-cain-velasquez-boxer-mma Phone Post 3.0

IAmNotImpressedbyYourStocktonSlap -
sparkuri -
MasterofMartialArts -
sparkuri -
fryingarmbar - Cain is too athletic for Werdum. He'd box him up and wrestle defensively if he had to.

I like Werdum more but I think it's fairly obvious JDS and Cain are on another level compared to the rest of the division. Phone Post 3.0

That's not true.
Werdum can beat Cain. Styles make fights. Werdum could easily catch a sub on Cain.
And Cain's striking is no better than Fab's, and Fab has better knees and harder kicks.
Another example. Reem could probably beat Cain more often than not, and JDS could probably beat Reem more often than not. Bigfoot can beat Reem, but Cain's got his #.
And on and on.

Werdum COULD beat Cain, but its not likely. I disagree about the stand up, I think is much more technically sound, better movement and footwork, and is much quicker. He could not EASILY sub Cain. He could if Cain put himself in a position like that, but Cain is too smart to play to Werdums strength. He can beat him in the stand up, yeah Werdum can throw kicks without regard for the takedown, but his kicks are slow and I can see Cain catching them and making him pay. Werdum also showed that he didn't train for a 25 minute fight, and that is a mistake against Cain. I think his only chance is if they get caught in a scramble and he comes away with the quick submission. Even with that, I think Cain is too smart. I also think people tend to underrate Cains power, he KOd Nog, Bigfoot, and finished Brock in under a round (something Carwin couldn't do), hurt JDS bad with a right hand and had him in survival mode the whole fight, his power is definitely underrated, and his punching accuracy sure helps it. Phone Post 3.0

The reason he finds success is surprise. No one he's fought really expects a stand up fight with him, which is a credit to him.
But his footwork is NOT good, NOR is his head movement. It's sloppy, and anyone in boxing will tell you that.
Werdum is better in the clinch(knees), and short range(jabs). He's better on his back as well.
And sure he could easily sub Cain. He easily subbed Fedor & Nog, & countless others in his life.
But keep in mind, Cain doesn't(or hasn't) changed his style. There is no secret to him. It's full steam ahead, and no one loves that more than a bjjBB.

Ghost doesn't think so. And I'm preeeetty sure he's a boxer.
http://www.mmamania.com/2013/5/2/4293686/mayweather-vs-guerrero-ghost-calls-ufc-cain-velasquez-boxer-mma Phone Post 3.0

Is that Pavlik?
Can't see on phone.
AND HE'S WRONG.LOL:-) Phone Post

Cain will KO him with a quick combo, like he did NOG Phone Post 3.0

Genuine question as I can't remember off the top of my head-have we ever seen Cain's submission defence?

Werdum is a horrible match for Cain.

Cain has great striking with the threat of a takedown. Without that threat I would say Werdum is the better striker.

Cain has better stamina but he will get tagged by Werdum and if it goes to ground as a result Werdum has a great chance.

Cain is still favorite due to his energy and wrestling which he could utilize takedowns without too much ground work (Brock vs Mir style) and simply tire out Werdum to TKO him later.

Werdum on the other hand can utilize knees and kicks as well as decent improved striking and hope that if it goes to ground he has enough time and energy to work. The energy is really the main problem.

Should be much much more competitive than Cain vs Bigfoot. Phone Post

D241 -

On paper, Cain should win this.

But when you play it out, it's not as easy.

wrestling advantage is Cain but against a guy the caliber of Werdum, that advantage is nullified unless Cain uses his wrestling to gain a good position on the ground, which against Werdum, good luck with that.

So you move on to the next aspect, the feet. Werdum looked great on the feet against Roy Nelson, and Werdum has proven he can take a punch(as long as it's not an uppercut from hell from JDS). 

Cain has proven, he has great stand up, mixes it up well, but doesn't have devastating power.

I feel this fight is a stand up fight to see whose stand up is better.

I give Cain the advantage for his ability to keep it against the cage and work a high pace.

Cain via decision in a fight that doesn't live up to all the hype.

I dig it Phone Post

Judging by the Nog fight, Werdum seems to have forgotten all his standup improvements he'd been showing and will get annihilated on the feet by Cain.

Jesús X - 
Bootsy Collins - Genuine question as I can't remember off the top of my head-have we ever seen Cain's submission defence?

he beat bigfoot who outgrappled fedor ,cain hasn't been submitted in his career,his only weakness seems to be large strikers with takedown D and good striking,I would give the reem a better chance that werdum, cain outwrestled lesnar,o'brien, and big foot who took fedor down, no way werdum takes cain down, if he does be might get GnP till he gasses

Thanks for the reply.
I know Cain has beaten legit grapplers but I was trying to think of a time we actually saw him in a position where he had to actively defend against submissions and drew a blank.

Again, just curious- I have no agenda or dog in this fight. :)

Bootsy Collins - 
Jesús X - 
Bootsy Collins - Genuine question as I can't remember off the top of my head-have we ever seen Cain's submission defence?

he beat bigfoot who outgrappled fedor ,cain hasn't been submitted in his career,his only weakness seems to be large strikers with takedown D and good striking,I would give the reem a better chance that werdum, cain outwrestled lesnar,o'brien, and big foot who took fedor down, no way werdum takes cain down, if he does be might get GnP till he gasses

Thanks for the reply.
I know Cain has beaten legit grapplers but I was trying to think of a time we actually saw him in a position where he had to actively defend against submissions and drew a blank.

I don't recall Cain ever being threatened on the ground in a fight. Brock took him down 2x and as soon as Lesnar tried to advance position, Cain got right to his feet.

I think the major knock against Cain is his lack of punching power (multiple fights of 100+ strikes landed where the other guy was still hanging around) and his defense/chin. Werdum isn't the kind of banger that can cause a problem for Cain on the feet, and Werdum's not quick enough to play the point fight game.

ABE FROMAN -

'You're'

If you think Werdum can win then you are out of yours.

This. Phone Post

Werdum doesn't fear the TD and its hard to say which fighter has the better striking.

This fight would be closer than a lot of people think.

Why the fuck would be take him down when he can destroy him standing Phone Post 3.0

Personally, I think the fight would be over with a quick KO by Cain. Werdum is notoriously a slow starter and with the kind of pace that Cain puts on guys from the beginning - the fight would probably go similar to Cain/Bigfoot II

Bobby Lupo - 
Bootsy Collins - 
Jesús X - 

Thanks for the reply.

I don't recall Cain ever being threatened on the ground in a fight. Brock took him down 2x and as soon as Lesnar tried to advance position, Cain got right to his feet.

I think the major knock against Cain is his lack of punching power (multiple fights of 100+ strikes landed where the other guy was still hanging around) and his defense/chin. Werdum isn't the kind of banger that can cause a problem for Cain on the feet, and Werdum's not quick enough to play the point fight game.

I wonder would Werdum pull guard against Cain

Bootsy Collins - 
Bobby Lupo - 
Bootsy Collins - 
Jesús X - 

Thanks for the reply.

I wonder would Werdum pull guard against Cain

If Cain's punches are beating his kicks and Cain isn't initiating TDs, then he has to

Will look like cain vs nog Phone Post

I used to think werdum could beat Cain... But idk anymore. Phone Post 3.0

sparkuri -
MasterofMartialArts -
sparkuri -

That's not true.
And on and on.

As sloppy as his footwork is, it is still tons better than Werdums. Werdums footwork is horrible and his head movement non existent, at least Cain hits angles, while Werdum is always in a straight line. Werdum has a good jab, but in a close range fight, Cain lights him up. His punches are much more technical and accurate, Werdum is too slow to get on the inside with Cain constantly moving. It's not hard to figure Cain out, but nobody else has the combination of striking, wrestling, and cardio in that division right now. Just because Werdum is one of the best grapplers in the world doesn't mean he WILL easily sub Cain, he COULD, but that is a long shot, like I said, Cain is too smart to play around in Werdums guard. I'm not saying Werdum can't win, but I don't think he will. Phone Post 3.0

Also, Werdum was tired after one round with Nog, imagine how tired he will be with Cain pressing forward every second. Cain has cardio for days and Fabricio hasn't impressed me with his yet (and I really like Werdum). Phone Post 3.0