if your wife's friends are divorced...

your wife is much more likely to divorce you. this applies to cheating as well.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2013/10/21/is-divorce-contagious/

McDermott and her colleagues found that study participants were 75% more likely to become divorced if a friend is divorced and 33% more likely to end their marriage if a friend of a friend is divorced.

“Approaching the epidemiology of divorce from the perspective of an epidemic may be apt in more ways than one,” McDermott and her colleagues wrote in a forthcoming article in the journal Social Forces. “The contagion of divorce can spread through a social network like a rumor, affecting friends up to two degrees removed.”

Sociologists call the phenomenon “social contagion”—the spread of information, attitudes and behaviors through friends, families and other social networks.

Examples of social contagion run the gamut from adolescent sexual behavior to the spread of phantom diseases in a workplace. Economist Ilyana Kuziemko reported in a 2006 paper titled “Is Having Babies Contagious?” that brothers and sisters are significantly more likely to have a child soon after a sibling gives birth. A research team in Arkansas tracked how obesity appeared to spread in elementary school classrooms.

Leigh - Is it peer influence? Or are similar types of people more likely to be friends? Maybe a bit of both but interesting post, cheers Phone Post 3.0

i would love to know too

all we know for now is that it is correlational. we can't tell if they pre-select each other. a more in-depth longterm study into people's relationships would have to be done.

i think it has to do with women.

tell me how many times you've seen this:

their friends start getting married. suddenly, they are pressuring for a ring.

their friends have kids. suddenly, they want kids.

men are influenced by their friends too, but to a lesser extent.