I'm a former Green Beret. AMA.

Hi Skip! Phone Post 3.0

Slapsymaxi - Can you do that awesome garotte throw that special forces guys in movies do? Phone Post 3.0
No. That shit doesn't work in real life. Phone Post 3.0

phydeau - What language?
Russian. Phone Post 3.0

CombatVette49 - How do you guys feel about the support troops that are attached to you? Do they try and act like they are tabbed when around other non-sf troops?

I know a light wheel mechanic that's attached to them that acts that way. Phone Post 3.0
Of course they do. It's funny to watch at a bar. Most guys that say they are a GB at a bar are support guys. Phone Post 3.0

How many years did you serve?

18Doc -
DaSiccness - Why wasn't your team chosen to take out Obama? Phone Post 3.0
Because the general of HSBC was and is a SEAL. Fags. Phone Post 3.0
I assumed you meant Osama. Phone Post 3.0

18Doc -
18Doc -
DaSiccness - Why wasn't your team chosen to take out Obama? Phone Post 3.0
Because the general of HSBC was and is a SEAL. Fags. Phone Post 3.0
I assumed you meant Osama. Phone Post 3.0
By HSBC I meant SEALs Phone Post 3.0

Any interesting work opportunities for you when you got out?

Why do you think so many people who have served feel it necessary to make that point known within minutes of meeting them?

REMEMBER MY NAME - How long were you in for? Where have you been stationed/deployed? What is K/D? Whats the difference between green berets and rangers? Have u seen the doc 2 weeks in hell? Its on Netflix. Why did you choose the Green Berets? Why did u get out?
I was in for about 6.5 years. It was busy. Phone Post 3.0

If you were ordered to fire upon US citizens, would you obey?

IDXtreme - If you were ordered to fire upon US citizens, would you obey?
Fuck no. Most GBs are republicans. Then Libertarians. No way that happens. That's cop shit. Phone Post 3.0

Thunderhorse -

Why do you think so many people who have served feel it necessary to make that point known within minutes of meeting them?

Because its a big deal, under the right circumstances. If they've been in a fire fight, that's a big deal. They have put their life on the line harder than anyone else you know for your country. Politics aside. Phone Post 3.0

BigJohnSTEWD - Any interesting work opportunities for you when you got out?
Yeah contracting for overseas companies pays well. I went to PA school though. Phone Post 3.0

18Doc -
IDXtreme - If you were ordered to fire upon US citizens, would you obey?
Fuck no. Most GBs are republicans. Then Libertarians. No way that happens. That's cop shit. Phone Post 3.0
I don't mean cops will do this, I just mean this is a cop mission. Phone Post 3.0

In 8th grade we had a green beret from the Vietnam war (who was a classmate's father) come speak to our English class.

We weren't allowed to ask him who he killed or how many or anything like that. But the first question was exactly that "Did you ever shoot anyone?"

"SO, the first person I shot, was a 12 year old kid. At least we think he was 12, he looked it. Anyway, he was hauling a bomb on his back into a village, so I shot him in the back from afar and killed him."

It was an experience I'll never forget. This man was so honest. To admit to a class of 14 year olds that you have killed people that same age was incredible.

A couple other Vietnam vets were there. One was a drafted soldier, the other a huey pilot. Once the Green Beret opened up about the reality of what went on over there, the other men did too. I learned that you sit on the flak vest while in a helicopter to protect your butt from getting shot from below. I learned that Green Berets were expected to far exceed the specifications of their rifle by being accurate from extreme distances. I learned that green berets got dropped into Laos and Cambodia.

The green beret had spinal problems from Agent Orange and he had a disabled daughter that may have been caused by agent orange. His hair was falling out in odd places and he blamed it on Agent Orange.

Thanks Mr. Angel and Mr. Fondacaro, I learned a lot.

To this day I owe a local SF vet a beer.

I had been doing some reading about the second world war, and the German paratrooper units. I just happen to be walking past this guy in a store, and I heard him use the word "Fallschirmjager."

Me - "Fallschirmjager? They were German paratroopers back during World War II."

Him - "They still are. I trained with them."

"You trained with the Fallschirmjagers?"

"Yeah, when I was in the Army."

"You were in the German Army?"

"No, the US Army. I was detached to the West German Fallschirmjagers for training."

"What unit were you with, that they would detach you to the Fallschirmjager?"

"I was part of a Special Forces unit at Fort Devens."

I live near what was Fort Devens, and I thought to myself "There's no was in hell there was an SF unit at piss-ant Fort Devens." Turns out that back in the '80s there totally WAS an SF unit at Fort Devens. But I didn't know that at the time.

I had met fake SeALSs before, when I lived in San Diego, and I thought to myself "This guy is laying on some thick-ass bullshit and I am gonna call him on it."

"So when you were in special forces, what language did you qualify on?"

"German."

"German? Really?"

"Yeah. I'm blond and blue-eyed, so they decided I'd blend in best with German speakers."

Now I was like "This guy is so full of shit I could smell it across the street. I'm gonna corner him."

"Lots of times Commands will give their soldier coins..."

I didn't even get to finish the sentence. His hand went in his pocket, then SLAP on the table.

"You got yours?"

"HELL no. I was a mechanic in the Navy. They don't give Navy mechanics coins. But I owe you a beer."

He was cool about it. I've seen him several times since then. Each time I always say "I still owe you that beer."

FetusofFury -

In 8th grade we had a green beret from the Vietnam war (who was a classmate's father) come speak to our English class.

We weren't allowed to ask him who he killed or how many or anything like that. But the first question was exactly that "Did you ever shoot anyone?"

"SO, the first person I shot, was a 12 year old kid. At least we think he was 12, he looked it. Anyway, he was hauling a bomb on his back into a village, so I shot him in the back from afar and killed him."

It was an experience I'll never forget. This man was so honest. To admit to a class of 14 year olds that you have killed people that same age was incredible.

A couple other Vietnam vets were there. One was a drafted soldier, the other a huey pilot. Once the Green Beret opened up about the reality of what went on over there, the other men did too. I learned that you sit on the flak vest while in a helicopter to protect your butt from getting shot from below. I learned that Green Berets were expected to far exceed the specifications of their rifle by being accurate from extreme distances. I learned that green berets got dropped into Laos and Cambodia.

The green beret had spinal problems from Agent Orange and he had a disabled daughter that may have been caused by agent orange. His hair was falling out in odd places and he blamed it on Agent Orange.

Bad ass story. I meant to VA but VA on accident. My bad. Phone Post 3.0

18Doc -
FetusofFury -

Will VU tomorrow. There is a lot to be learned about the honesty of combat. People don't understand how closely tied courage and cowardice are to each other. Phone Post 3.0

18Doc - 
FetusofFury -

Thanks. I'll always remember that day. He even wore the beret!