I'm growing fruits and veggies in a potted garden

joesonshuevos -

Lookin good. Still not 1 sprout in the gardens

Not sure sure what you're doing wrong. Is the soil moist? Are you using too much pressure and pushed the seeds down? 

StrikingMMA - I planned out my garden back in October of last year and ordered the seeds. I planted in peat pots around Jan 1. Put the small plants into the ground March 1 since the last frost date is already past in Central Florida. I now have some small zuchini and cucumbers on the vine and my watermelon plant is blooming. My yard long beans have been blooming and are starting to fruit. My pole beans are now blooming also. I should be harvesting zuchini within the week.

That's awesome would love to see the harvest! 

Mutant - 
StrikingMMA - I planned out my garden back in October of last year and ordered the seeds. I planted in peat pots around Jan 1. Put the small plants into the ground March 1 since the last frost date is already past in Central Florida. I now have some small zuchini and cucumbers on the vine and my watermelon plant is blooming. My yard long beans have been blooming and are starting to fruit. My pole beans are now blooming also. I should be harvesting zuchini within the week.

That's awesome would love to see the harvest! 

I’ll take some pics when it’s time to harvest. It’s looking like the Yard Long beans will be ready soon also.

Joeson,

What are your soil conditions and air/soil temps? What are you attempting to sprout? Lots of factors that could be affecting your success.

Now that we’ve migrated, maybe I’ll download the app so I can post pictures.

Garlic is going well. Pepper, pea, and onion chive sprouts are doing well. Lettuce and beets became a micro green salad. They sprouted too quick and my light wasn’t here yet. Got leggy and weren’t transplanting right.

A second light, small grow tent and more fabric pots should arrive today. I need to go get additional soil for the pots.

Having great success with these lights for sprouts. $30. Only complaint is no on/off switch. It’s on a timer but a pain when I need to mess with it and it’s on.
https://www.amazon.com/Osunby-Growing-Indoor-Plants-Hydroponic/dp/B075JFPLY1/ref=sr_1_34_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=grow+light&qid=1617289213&sr=8-34-spons&psc=1&smid=A2XZROUAKP2IL2&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzRTYzOUFWVDBUSUwmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA0MzI4MTEzS1owUzk0RVhMR0hQJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA0ODk4OTZZT0ZWSVNGMUdBOSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX210ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

1 Like

Overnight temps are still too low. I’m going to get more starts going and fill the grow tent up more.

What is everyone using for soil in their pots?

I’ve been overwatering! I got a little meter that should help from here on out.

1 Like

Still way to cold. He’ll, I’ve got a space heater going in the spare room I’m doing all the starts.

Tell us about this meter

That looks awesome is that one of those Marijuana grow things?

I use one as well to help to test the soil moisture. They are awesome!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BR52P26/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glc_fabc_M9VVK0VS4T4TEJSDFAG9

I use one of these it tests the soil for moisture and is it’s wet I skip watering if it’s dry I water. You can also test pH levels.

1 Like

Pretty sure that is what is was originally designed for. No plans to grow cash crop…yet. I would need temp/humidity control and more knowledge. Legal rec weed in my state so no supply issues.

Figured I can use it for starts, micro greens, and over wintering at least. Did one batch of microgreens so far. Delicious.

Been impressed with it so far.
https://www.amazon.com/VIVOSUN-Hydroponic-Observation-Window-Growing/dp/B01DXYMQ9M/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=grow+tent&qid=1617902088&sr=8-3-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExRVkwTzdXUjE3VUs1JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwODU3MzIwMUJTU1dIOEpVTFY4TSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNzI1NDU0M0RRNEVRN1o3TlI3QSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Fancy tent to start seeds in. I have a smaller T5 set up that I’m gonna use to get my seeds started.

I do have a grow tent with weed in it so that’s a no go for me, lol.

Any of you guys ever consider using an instapot to start seeds? Apparently putting it on the yogurt setting is a good way to get the seeds started.

Definitely a nice set up I just start my seeds outs in the pots I’m going to grow them in.

I just put the seeds in the dirt and they grown. Nothing fancy for me.

I’m looking at daytime temps in the low 50s and low 30s for overnights. They are calling for 30 and snow on Saturday. I’ll sow direct to ground or pot once we warm up. Garlic is doing great. Growing Garlic - #24 by FIJI

Justification to myself on buying the tent.
Our grow season is short and plant starts get spendy, are weak, or I can’t get the varieties I want. Payback should be one season to less than two. I wanted something to contain the UV light and humidity.

I’ll be reaching out to convert at some point @NoNeed4aScreenName

Exact same one I’m using.

You have to right seasons. Perennials haven’t quite come back from the winter in my area yet.

I’m far behind. I should have started my seeds 2 a week or so ago

Guess I’m lucky being in zone 9b and it’s already in the 90s here.