I'm kind of embarrassed to admit this but

I gave your post a thumbs up…get it?

4 Likes

This. I’m sitting here and I’m not even sure I can get my hand/wrist into the right shape to throw it palm down. It’s like trying to throw a ball with my left hand. I’m completely confused and I’m pretty sure I’d hurt myself if I tried it.

1 Like

This, there’s always been two schools of thought

1 Like

The video I linked talks about thumbs up way gives you options for both close and non close range hooks.

Meaning if it is very close quarters you can bend the wrist(thumbs up) to hit the target easier than if you did palms down.

I understand the logic and explanation, I just have a few years of doing it a certain way that I now will have to adjust.

I usually only land a left hook to the head if my opponent is circling to my left, other than that I only have one set up shot that ends with a left hook(to the body) so I will try my set up shot and see how it feels.

Absolutely thumb up is better in close IMO.

Palm down isn’t something I have ever done with a hook.

A Russian hook isn’t palm down… it’s more turned over.
I prefer it at range.

2 weapons are better than one.
Any man, either hand – that should be the goal.

1 Like

Tyson throws his hook thumbs up.

3 Likes

I teach hooks “thumb up” and thumb in. They’re different punches IMO. Most people will have better success with the thumb up version.

I was taught they are two different punches as well. For inside range palm down generates the most power for me. Was taught to bring the punch downward as it gets closer to the target generating more torch. For longer range thumbs up and it makes sense when clinching as well.

In my training I would agree with this. The gym I trained at taught only palm down but a friend of mine was taught only palm up. I think a concern with palm up hooks is that you can break your thumb more easily. That’s probably more likely if your technique is wrong but is more problematic with smaller gloves. What I learned over the years from combining the philosophies with my style is that I operate better using palm down in close range and palm up in medium to long range.

Edit: I have not watched OP’s video yet.

1 Like

Both work but palm in is what good guys use more frequently.

1 Like

Palm down or thumb up?

I’ve tried the other variations and always feel more comfortable thumb up. If I am in close typically I am throwing the left hook off a right uppercut. If I am midrange they are more likely double body shots off a right hand, but my most common place is at full range off of a combination.

Throwing palm down while close and if you miss you can cut them with your elbow. Little dirty boxing trick I was taught by my coach

1 Like

Practiced it some tonight. Wasn’t hard to transition to a different way. I kind of like it.

1 Like

I was taught palm in and to aim with your index and middle knuckles. Ring and pinky knuckles are more susceptible to a boxer’s fracture.

2 Likes

Palm in if MMA because of the gloves. A lot of guys fuck up their thumbs if they throw palm down. With boxing gloves it is about preference.

What about “casting” hooks?

They have the palm almost out.

I think I may have mentioned them.

1 Like

Oh…

‘walks away feeling much shame’

3 Likes

Thumbs up for body shots
Palm down for head shots
At least that’s the way i was taught