Imagine if this level of striking was in the UFC-enjoy

Imagine the response from the crowds?

8 Likes

From my understanding, boxing/kickboxing is a different sport than boxing/kickboxing for MMA. Those guys arenā€™t continuously worried about being taken down.

17 Likes

That wasnā€™t really my point. DUH. Iā€™m curious why almost every fight in the UFC guys stand up for 90 percent of the fight and itā€™s boring as fuck and looks like shit.

1 Like

He just solved the mystery of your curiousity.

Theyre worried about takedowns

11 Likes

Another few points.

-grappling will tire out your arms and make way harder to strike

-Its easier to sharpen one tool set then sharpen 3 without losing some edge in another

5 Likes

how many fights do we see now where people stand and strike vs grapple anyymore? If you are going to be a bjj blackbelt and try to impress the UFC by getting a KO, whatā€™s the point besides takedown defense. Muay Tha has this thing called grappling as well and is utilized for knees and to wear down your opponent.
Granted, Iā€™ve been involved since 1995 and I just canā€™t understand the lack of the level of striking in the UFC except for greats like Anderson Silva who actually trained and USED his stand up it makes me not want to waste my time watching bad non comittall stand up when they are standing. JMHO

2 Likes

A lot of the reason that they stand, you fucking moron, is because the majority of the fighters are already black belts in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.

Furthermore, I wouldnā€™t be at all surprised to find that thereā€™s some kind of incentive or bonus for knockouts.

In fact, we see this with the way the crowd and commentators react to someone being knocked unconscious.

1 Like

Itā€™s a culture thing too. ONE has former lumpinee champs fighting in MMA now. The focus in SE Asia has always been striking.

In North America itā€™s always been a wrestling base.

1 Like

If I am a moron, then you are too because Iā€™m going to qoute you because my point is there is so much stand up time and non committal to striking itā€™s a bore except when fighters clash for 3 rounds

AND to qoute you ( what I have said numerous times )- and you are RIGHT
Furthermore, I wouldnā€™t be at all surprised to find that thereā€™s some kind of incentive or bonus for knockouts.

In fact, we see this with the way the crowd and commentators react to someone being knocked unconscious.

You are right. There is a clip of Joe Rogan talking about Muay Thai and how showing it would benefit MMA. To me itā€™s obvious. Itā€™s thrillingā€¦

And you are right that Asia is the home base for striking arts.

Johnathan Haggerty grew up in a MMA gym. His dad was a MMA fighter. He also is a BJJ practicioner but look at his striking. simply amazing. Competing and manhandling a Lumpinee champion in his last fight. At 24, should he go to MMA, he would be a prototype of what people want to see.

Thereā€™s rumours that he still might. However he will look like a lot more like other Thai guys that have crossed over.

Yeah zealot, youā€™re really not understanding what everyone is putting down for you here, youā€™re a bit of a goof

1 Like

Because thereā€™s more money in striking than in MMA. The best boxers in the world make so much more than the top MMA fighters that itā€™s not a real question. Iā€™m not sure about the money in MT, but a top striker faces a lot more risk in MMA for less rewards.

And any time there is a decwnt striker coming up then a legion of haters start demanding he be matched up against a wrestler to ā€œderail the hype trainā€.

I dont care what people think of me. I guarantee that people who watched those fights enjoyed the. Of course they are different sports Is a person a goof because they would like to see better boxing technique in MMA or better BJJ or whatever. Isnā€™t that what MMA is all about ? taking the things that make you better in all ranges of fighting and discarding the rest? ā€˜If you are going to be a bear be a Grizzlyā€™. There is alot of useful things in Muay Thai but also, who are the most ā€˜exciting fightersā€™ in the UFC. They are the guys delivering KOā€™s very few submission guys are moved up the chain into title contention because their PPV numbers donā€™t do well.

People love striking and KOā€™s because it goes to the root of that which is most feared. Getting hit or KOā€™d. And people pay to watch others do things they cannot do or do as well. Remember all the 'If tyson had 6 months of sprawl training? Iā€™ve been on this forum since 99. Striking has gotten better, Iā€™ll give you that. Plus I enjoy sharingn good fights.

Here is the British phenom whose dad runs a MMA gymm in the UK against recent Lumpinee champion. he trains in both since he was a child but focused on Muay Thai. These are the athletes of the future and no on will be complaining, even me. Fighters so well rounded that literally anything can happen and happen with beauty and skill.

Zealot, random but weā€™re you the guy who would write about Rhodesian and South African SOF units?

2 Likes