Improve your BJJ with a lesson from Poker Players

I'm guest blogging and wrote this article today.  I'd love some feedback:

http://www.uchimatapro.com/improve-your-bjj/

Instructors - there's a second obvious question afterwards, which is "what should we, as instructors who want to help our students improve, do about this?"  I'm curious how y'all feel. 

Either the student makes adaptations that allows their "against the grain" technique to work against everyone or they don't.  If they don't, they need to pursue another solution.

I guess what I'm saying is, in my experience, this is a self-correcting problem.

In the long run, I agree.

But I've also had students who could've progressed MUCH more quickly if they'd accepted the idea of EV.  And I've seen many a blue belt fall off because he's frustrated...and looking for esoteric silver bullets instead of following directions.  

As coaches, how can we keep them?  Is there a way to "have this talk" with them?

twinkletoesCT - 

In the long run, I agree.

But I've also had students who could've progressed MUCH more quickly if they'd accepted the idea of EV.  And I've seen many a blue belt fall off because he's frustrated...and looking for esoteric silver bullets instead of following directions.  

As coaches, how can we keep them?  Is there a way to "have this talk" with them?

I may be speaking from a position of ignorance here, but I'm not so sure we can "keep" them.  I mean, as adults, they are going to decide to do what they decide to do.  Most folks I've trained with are very open to the "you might consider trying insert technique fix here*". 

But not everyone, and I don't know what to do if someone refuses to change and insists on doing the same thing that doesn't work, over and over and over.