"In 10 years there's never been a serious injury"

Really?

No one has ever been hurt so bad they had to retire?

Not one career-ending injury?

I'm trying to think of one. Nate Quarry was a maybe but he's back and better than ever.

...so far so good... think...

I'm still thinking...

I am just having a hard time believing that.

Seems like at least one person would have been hurt severely.

Especially back in the days of head-butts and groin-kicks.

maybe in bjj, but so far nothing in mma as far as i know...

Tom O Bedlam - Especially back in the days of head-butts and groin-kicks.

Was that within the last 10 years?

It was when season 1 was going on.

Not from now though.

Zinoviev was the worst, by far. After that, maybe Sylvia's forearm?

(Also, you have to remember that Quarry hadn't fought in the UFC when Dana said that, considering.. it was the TUF season Nate was on. :P)

Chagrin - Zinoviev was the worst, by far. After that, maybe Sylvia's forearm?

(Also, you have to remember that Quarry hadn't fought in the UFC when Dana said that, considering.. it was the TUF season Nate was on. :P)

Good point...

But Quarry came back so that one wouldn't even count.

Tom O Bedlam - Really?

No one has ever been hurt so bad they had to retire?

Not one career-ending injury?

I'm trying to think of one. Nate Quarry was a maybe but he's back and better than ever.

There have been plenty, just not too widely reported.

One of many:

"Robert “Buzz” Berry Retires After Cage Rage Injury"

"It looks like Robert “Buzz” Berry’s beating last Saturday at the hands of Neil Grove could be his last. Berry (13-8), who suffered a second-round TKO loss at Cage Rage 27 and who has dropped three of his last four fights, announced his retirement last night via the Cage Warriors forums, writing the following:

Just to let you all know I have had to retire. After my fight with Neil Grove I was taken to the hospital and had to have surgery on my face. They have had to put two plates in, one in my cheek bone and one on my eye socket. So that is it, over for me.

Can I take this opportunity in congratulating Neil Grove on the fight and good luck in the future. Thank you to all my camp and other camps for their help over the years in getting me ready for fights. Thanks to all my fans in their support for me, it has always meant a lot. A real big thanks to John Close, he has been a diamond — we have been joined at the hip for a few years. Neil Wain has been a star for me and wish him all the best in his fight in the UFC. Thanks to the guys at Cage Rage for their part in my fighting and to anyone I have missed out: Thank you.

As you can see in the video from the Berry/Grove fight (above), Buzz was on the mat for about three minutes after the loss, in visible pain. Grove’s leg kicks were responsible for breaking Berry down during the fight, but his final flurry of punches turned out to be a career ender for the man who’d previously knocked out Ken Shamrock at Cage Rage 25 in March. With the win, Grove increased his record to 6-1; in the post-fight interview he called out Cage Rage British heavyweight champion Mustapha Al Turk, as well as (who else) Kimbo Slice."

Edited for me not paying attention

I think what they are trying to imply is that there is nobody who is a quadriplegic or in a wheelchair after their MMA career. If true I think this will change with time.

Yikes, that sucks about Buzz.

They did preface it by saying in the UFC, and not MMA in general.

The worst I can think of is Sylvia -vs- Mir, or Belfort -vs- Eastman.

Maybe Delucia's elbow popping? I dunno...

How about Mike Kyle & Brian Olsen, is Brian ok after his surgeries?

Doctors say MMA safer than boxing.

(29) [916] by nattravn - 1 2

Guy Breaks His Back Grappling-vid

(34) [1596] by GrapplerHK - 1 2

Arm break video

(4) [120] by jake revelle

momita - How about Mike Kyle & Brian Olsen, is Brian ok after his surgeries?

Doctors say MMA safer than boxing.
(29) [916] by nattravn - 1 2

Guy Breaks His Back Grappling-vid
(34) [1596] by GrapplerHK - 1 2

Arm break video
(4) [120] by jake revelle

He posted here earlier this year petitioning to keep Mike Kyle from fighting any more. I think he will eventually be ok but probably won't fight again. IIRC (which I probably don't)

No one has mentioned Bas Rutten?

RIP Sammy Vasquez?

does death count?

Some of you guys have listening comprehension issues.

He said no one in the UFC...not MMA...not Cage Rage, but the UFC. Shouldn't have quit in the 6th grade. 

mjbreese - I think what they are trying to imply is that there is nobody who is a quadriplegic or in a wheelchair after their MMA career. If true I think this will change with time.

No, he wasn't. He stated simply what the question was. Anyone seriously injured that had to retire as a result of being injured.

I answered that question.

Go troll somewhere else.

TwistYouUp, why don't you troll somewhere else? I already answered your question.