In Aldo, was/is Conor preparing for "a striker"?

Just last year, in Feb 2014, Aldo fought Ricardo Lamas, a wrestler/grappler.

Lamas took Aldo down on 1 of 6 attempts. Aldo's TDD is badass.
Aldo took Lamas down on 2 of 2 attempts. Aldo's TDs are badass.

As former opponents/training partners such as Mendes, Faber, Edgar, Lamas and Gray Maynard - as well as every respected analyst on the planet - have said, Aldo's wrestling is legit, both defensively and offensively. There's a good reason many professional analysts consider Aldo perhaps the most complete MMA fighter in the game.

When Conor and his team switched their preparation from Aldo to Mendes they were switching from a guy with killer takedowns to another guy with killer takedowns.

Only one UFC fighter who has consistently fought high level opponents from all backgrounds has a TD success rate better than Aldo's.

Not Chris Weidman.
Not Jon Jones.
Not Cain Velasquez.
Not Daniel Cormier.
Not Chael Sonnen.
Not Rashad Evans.

And no, not Chad Mendes.

The one and only Georges "True GOAT" St-Pierre is the single UFC fighter I can think of who's consistently faced top opposition and who also has a better TD accuracy than Aldo, and like Aldo he would use it against both strikers and wrestlers depending on his gameplan.

Now, to be clear, I believe Coach Kavanagh 100% when he says the prep was hampered by the knee injury. He said that the knee was fully healed by two weeks prior to the fight and that Conor had zero problems with the knee during the fight, but the fact they trained only light wrestling as a precaution makes sense.

But this idea that some fans have that Conor's team weren't expecting to have to defend takedowns when Aldo was the opponent is dumb as fuck. And neither Conor nor Kavanagh are dumb as fuck. They knew they would be facing takedowns. And they know they will be facing takedowns when they challenge for the title.

Aldo's wrestling is good.

His grappling, however, is far superior to Mendes.

I look at the escapes Conor timed to get back to his feet against Chad and think a savvy grappler like Aldo takes total advantage. Aldo knows how to set you up to get you to seek the escape and then, bam, he's on your back.

Connor should train jiu jitsu all day, everyday. He should have top level guys smother him one after another. The time he has to prepare won't be enough but he needs to understand what he's facing (im sure he does). Aldo will not keep this on the feet.

Aldo said Dede told him he saw "some things" when watching the fight. Stevie Wonder saw those same things. Connor needs to be concerned about hitting the mat with Jose. Phone Post 3.0

They said they were preparing for takedowns from Aldo, as he couldn't handle Conor on the feet. They just couldn't train wrestling due to the injury.

Aldo does have good TDs. But he hasn't controlled guys on the ground, dealt out punishment, or gotten submissions. I'm sure he'll try this vs McGregor, but he'll have to be more effective than he has. He'll also have to avoid getting his rib broken like his training partner did to him.

Malvert the Janitor - Aldo's wrestling is good.

I look at the escapes Conor timed to get back to his feet against Chad and think a savvy grappler like Aldo takes total advantage. Aldo knows how to set you up to get you to seek the escape and then, bam, he's on your back.

Connor should train jiu jitsu all day, everyday. He should have top level guys smother him one after another. The time he has to prepare won't be enough but he needs to understand what he's facing (im sure he does). Aldo will not keep this on the feet.

Aldo said Dede told him he saw "some things" when watching the fight. Stevie Wonder saw those same things. Connor needs to be concerned about hitting the mat with Jose. Phone Post 3.0

I've been trying to think of a way to articulate exactly what you just said, so I thank you sir and enjoy this tasty VU.

I hope Aldo finishes him viciously a la Bones/Machida or Story/Maia.

SHOGUN250 - 
Malvert the Janitor - Aldo's wrestling is good.

I've been trying to think of a way to articulate exactly what you just said, so I thank you sir and enjoy this tasty VU.

I hope Aldo finishes him viciously a la Bones/Machida or Story/Maia.

Haha, I'm the opposite.

I want Conor to be champion, I'm just pointing out that there's no way Conor and Kavanagh weren't game-planning for an opponent who shoots for takedowns when they were still in Aldo-prep mode.

Mendes has a different style and shoots more often, but Aldo shoots plenty and is even more accurate and effective than Mendes. And like Malvert says, Aldo's top game is better than Mendes too.