Indepth Bret Hart Interview

Continued

"In Sydney, on May 21, my music played and my heart pounded as I gingerly walked down the ramp. My mind adjusted to the idea that I was once again walking to a ring and my fans were screaming. By the time I climbed into the ring, memories of every great match I'd ever had spun through my head and my emotions hit me -- hard. My throat clamped shut and my chest grew so tight I could barely get out something like, "Thank you for having me. It's too hard for me to talk. Good bye."

I lost my first match back. As understanding as everyone was, I was so disappointed in myself.

Two days later, I was back in Melbourne, backstage again. I was terrified. I feared I was not the Hitman the fans knew and loved any more. I was uplifted by many of the wrestlers, especially by a merry band of midgets -- who insisted I'd do fine.

There it was again, my music. The long, hard walk to the ring -- and the chanting crowd. I took my time. I sat down on a stool in the centre of the ring and told the crowd this moment was my toughest challenge ever. I stayed cool and spoke from the heart, asking them to give some thought to some of my wrestling friends who recently departed. The British Bulldog. Mr. Perfect. And Miss Elizabeth. It was just about the fourth anniversary of my brother Owen's death and I told them I knew he would be proud to see me sitting there talking to them.

And in that moment, I saw it ... I was a survivor!

Bret (Hitman) Hart wasn't a character invented by a bunch of writers. I'm a real person who has endured! Unlike too many of my peers, I'm still here to talk about it. Amazingly, people are still listening!

I had just won my first big match since having a stroke -- and it was the toughest bout I'd ever had!

I left the ring and high-fived my way back to the dressing room where I was congratulated by the rest of the wrestlers.

I eventually ended up in Thunder Bay at a sports celebrity charity dinner. I stood at a podium in front of 500 people in a banquet hall and found myself saying how people will always remember me pulling myself up off the mat when taking a beating from some much bigger foe and then courageously fighting back -- with my fans cheering me on to victory. Almost one year after my stroke, I can see that part of my life really hasn't changed.

I'm beginning to realize God gave me this challenge so I could become the hero I always portrayed myself to be."

Reading that interview reminds me of why Bret was my childhood hero.

It was like he was the average everyday man to me when I use to watch him.
He was the greatest average everyday man who was the greatest technical wrestler.(to me)

His recent accomplishments make me ponder,maybe some men are far greater then others?

TTT