Indian Food, TME

absolutesperry - VINDALOO BEEF w/ garlic naan. Phone Post 3.0
Vindaloo shrimp with regular naan is my go to meal. Phone Post 3.0

I was on an oil tanker for two weeks and the entire crew was from India. They had a chef on board that cooked the meals for the crew. I can't name anything I ate but it was some of the best food I've ever had. Phone Post 3.0

Rock the Gaspare - Do they use Turmeric in everything? I love that stuff Phone Post 3.0
? Phone Post 3.0

Ghengiseanie - Yes turmeric in everything

Rohan Josh a nice mild curry. Madras slightly hotter. Anything Nepali will be quite hot. Goan Fish curries super hot. There are thousands of variations of course. The traditional curries in The UK are mostly Bengali. Vindaloo was invented in Glasgow.
My whole family are in the business Phone Post 3.0
This man knows! Phone Post 3.0

Im a massive fan of Indian food

my rectum is not.

Rhymenoceros - Y'all are only talking about northern Indian btw. Southern Indian food is legit as fuck. Phone Post 3.0
This.

There really is no such thing as "Indian food".

There is so much difference between food from the north vs the south and the coasts. Same is true with language and culture.

India is kind of like a mini Europe.

The food most popular in the U.S. is Punjabi. But the food from other regions is completely different. Phone Post 3.0

Most important thing you need to know: India is a sub-continent and the variety of regions is ASTOUNDING. Don't pigeon-hole the cuisine until you've tried a shitton of restaurants.

Even within a region there are dozens of variations of each dish, so don't count out a certain dish because you didn't like it. Try it at a few places before deciding.

My personal favorite is the Mughlai, but of course Tikka Masala, Saag Paneer, and Tandori wings are a perennial favorite.

Cookie Monster - There are also very degrees so hot. Mild, medium, hot, and Indian hot. You can order to taste

I'm excited for you and your journey into that which is Indian food. I'm glad to see we were beginning to enjoy the most delicious food on the planet. Phone Post 3.0
A proper Indian shouldn't have you ordering to taste....you shouldn't be able to order a mild madras, if you order a madras you should be getting something relatively hot Phone Post 3.0

Lamb madras. Garlic naan. Pakoras and samosas. Keep the mango lassis coming so the madras doesn't melt your tonsils. Phone Post 3.0

Vindaloo with any protein is one of my favorite dishes in the world. Phone Post 3.0

Rhymenoceros -
GelderdEnd - 
Cookie Monster - There are also very degrees so hot. Mild, medium, hot, and Indian hot. You can order to taste

I'm excited for you and your journey into that which is Indian food. I'm glad to see we were beginning to enjoy the most delicious food on the planet. Phone Post 3.0
A proper Indian shouldn't have you ordering to taste....you shouldn't be able to order a mild madras, if you order a madras you should be getting something relatively hot Phone Post 3.0

Bull fucking shit. I spent a month in India in July and I was traveling with people from India. Every time the waiter asked how spicy we all wanted our dishes.
I don't know about other dishes, but if it isn't stupid hot it's not madras. Phone Post 3.0

Lamb rogan josh, loads of naans, some samosas, pakoras and onion bhajis, washed down with a lassi. Phone Post 3.0

I say go easy on the nan and rice and get more veg/fish and meat down your neck.

I like sag (spinach) dishes. Prawn sag rocks. Phone Post 3.0

GelderdEnd -

I don't know. Maybe you're right. But if you wanted to be at all edible, the heat needs to be toned down if you come with a Western pallet. Phone Post 3.0

brigsy - I say go easy on the nan and rice and get more veg/fish and meat down your neck.

I like sag (spinach) dishes. Prawn sag rocks. Phone Post 3.0
Saag, bro Phone Post 3.0

mm samosas

had the other day and am hittin that place up again

There is so much bad indian food out there (way more bad than good tbh) but when you get a good one its incredible.

My current favorite go to is:

Chicken Jalfrezi (BIR (British Indian Restaurant) Style)
or
Laal Mans

Sides of;

Tadka Dal
Palak Paneer

Garlic Coriander Nan, pilau rice and a box of cobra ftw!

Madras should be as tangy as it is spicy. Spiciness is only one of its elements.

Rhymenoceros -
youarewhatiswrong - 
Rhymenoceros -
GelderdEnd - 

Bull fucking shit. I spent a month in India in July and I was traveling with people from India. Every time the waiter asked how spicy we all wanted our dishes.
I don't know about other dishes, but if it isn't stupid hot it's not madras. Phone Post 3.0

Cookie Monster made a general comment about how it's ok to order your Indian food to taste, and you tried to find one fucking dish that is supposed to be spicy no matter what.

You didn't disprove his point, you found the exception that proves the rule.
You are getting way too emotional over this. I didn't try to prove or disprove anything, I only mentioned what I know about madras specifically, and clearly stated that I didnt know if it held true to other dishes Phone Post 3.0

Keep in mind REAL Indian home cooked, traditional food is different than the modern, saucy, restaurant food. There is overlap now, but different styles,tastes, etc.