Industries or "career fields" moving forward

I get the obvious statement is everything other than medical is down now.

That said what industries or areas of work does the OG see being somewhat "stable" or returning to some form of decent business levels ?

I work in an inudustry that is pretty much not necessary and will be challenged greatly moving forward. Maybe the industry can adapt, but that is a big question. Even if it adapts I do not see it prospering.

Thinking of retooling or re "training" to find something else.

Getting trained in the WFA would be a help OP !

Nurse seems obvious 

1 Like

Moose09000 - 

Nurse seems obvious 

Agree

Call me an excuse guy but I don't think I have the nerves.

Can a mod move this over to the industrious people on the OG please ?

Utilities, IT projects, roadwork, construction

Slash -

Utilities, IT projects, roadwork, construction

this answer plus some trades (electrical, plumbing, etc)

Look how busy places like Home Depot and Lowe's have been during this mess.  I would guess a lot of people are starting projects that will eventually be finished by someone else.

Delivery/transportation 

ttt

Thanks for moving this over to the OG where a bunch of hard working business owning, doctoring , lawyering, actoring , mechanizing , car designing , motorcycle racing, store clerking , store owning, pet boarding , pet grooming, country club managers, militarying , hotel presidents, oil Barron, police offeciering, land lording straight Shooten sons of guns talk shop.

1 Like

Set up a small business that focuses on transitioning office workers to work at home situations

2 Likes

williepep - I get the obvious statement is everything other than medical is down now.

That said what industries or areas of work does the OG see being somewhat "stable" or returning to some form of decent business levels ?

I work in an inudustry that is pretty much not necessary and will be challenged greatly moving forward. Maybe the industry can adapt, but that is a big question. Even if it adapts I do not see it prospering.

Thinking of retooling or re "training" to find something else.

In.

I do network admin-break fix at a data center. Now I work from home instead of on site. Make the same money, only now I work 1-4 hours a day instead of 7-8. Haven’t skipped a beat since this started and won’t be back on site until June at the earliest. Other than not being fed 2 meals a day on site, this is great!!

Construction is a risk. There's often a delayed reaction following an economic downturn. Projects that were already funded keep going, and the slowdown happens as current projects finish while new ones fail to break. Then the union halls get packed. 

This shutdown is doubly problematic, because the major reductions in commuter volume mean less toll revenue, less gas tax revenue, and less fare revenue for transit agencies. Those funds pay for capital planning projects i.e. bridge, road, rail, airport and seaport infrastructure repairs and upgrades. I went through it in 2009, and now my friends and family who are still in the industry are very concerned about the job prospects in the near future.

In

Telecom

Why not train into something that isn't industry specific. Focus on a function that isn't industry specific and something that's skilled with growing demand. 

I can only really comment on the area I'm in which is IT. But there are huge shortages in data (whether more engineering/architecture or data science/analytics/reporting) and cloud computing talent. 

These are both much much easier to learn than programming (or coding for you peasants who insist on this word) is but pay similar. Cloud computing especially. You can probably train up in days and get paid good money $$$. It's almost a scam how easy it is compared to the amount of money in it.

There are vendor specific certifications that cost just a couple hundred to take the exam and you can self study for free to save on costs for retraining. 

1 Like

3d printing. Telecommunications. Home repair and maintenance services. Logistics.

Those are what come to mind.

bullson -

3d printing. Telecommunications. Home repair and maintenance services. Logistics.

Those are what come to mind.

All good thoughts.

I can say I'm happier than ever that the Army encouraged me to become a nurse. I'm an old man(coming up on 50). They pulled me from my regular job, now I'm working as a covid icu nurse for a few weeks. It's fucking awesome, challenging as all hell, and I feel dumb every single day, but I love this period of time. Only downside is some people are very sick and dying.

Life as a nurse here is great. I make good dough, can support my fam, work 4 days a week (no weekends or holidays). Have a house with a backyard that we can ride out the apocalypse in.

I gotta do 15 more years as a nurse. This pandemic has given my career a new life. I'm hoping I can find some sidework in hospital doing emergency preparedness or something.