Inflatable kayak- anyone got one?

Anyone got an inflatable kayak? Pretty much convinced myself to buy a three seater one so me and my two boys can get some river kayaking in this summer... a rigid one is pretty much out of the question due to logistics of getting to and from suitable rivers....

any tips on what to buy or avoid would be appreciated... thanks

I’m looking for one to take into the Gulf of Mexico...in

I bought an Intex Explorer K2 inflatable last spring for me and the wife. Seats 2 and sets up easily and quickly. Comes with two oars and a pump. Was surprisingly inexpensive. Bought it on Amazon for around $115 if I recall correctly. 

I had one a few years back. We had fun on it. The most memorable was in Crystal Cove in So Cal. As my kid and I were coming back to the beach a wave came and pushed us forward. As we rode the wave in we learned why not to ride a wave in an inflatable. It folded in half and dumped us and my camera into ocean. Lost a decent camera that day but it still a memory we lol about all the time.

I can row a boat, canoe?

Intex k2, I’ve used it a few times. I love the portability the only drawback is even with the skag in they don’t track as well as a hard body. I got it for 70$ at this time last year. It’s worth the money.

If it doesn't have a skeg to put on, don't bother. I highly recommend a canoe instead, it can be strapped to the top of any vehicle relatively easily and will last you FAR longer than the kayak. It also sports much more room for everyone.

3t

I've used an inflatable stand up board and it works great. I dunno about the kayaks tho.

Get a Tributary 2 person.

Mountain Medic -

That's at a much higher price point than the other suggestions. I'm sure it has much better materials. Are there other stand out differences?

willis007 - 

If it doesn't have a skeg to put on, don't bother. I highly recommend a canoe instead, it can be strapped to the top of any vehicle relatively easily and will last you FAR longer than the kayak. It also sports much more room for everyone.

This! I have 2 hard kayaks and 1 inflatable. The inflatable is shit. Of you have never been spoiled by a nice kayak then it might be ok. Just hope you have a good current and no wind. Have only used the inflatable once on a lake and once in a river because we didn’t want to pack the 2 plastic kayaks. Will never use it again.

Intex K2 is a great starter boat,  had one for 2 years until one of the chambers exploded. Look at Sea Eagle, they have a little better quality/more comfortable kayaks, buy an electric or battery powered pump and a better paddle (you can get a solid paddle for $60) , it will make your life much easier

![](upload://vRNlnmiwt2qOVr1eMMI5UHJwMj4.jpeg)

I got this one awhile ago. works fine but the ore is garbage.

TGP - 

Anyone got an inflatable kayak? Pretty much convinced myself to buy a three seater one so me and my two boys can get some river kayaking in this summer... a rigid one is pretty much out of the question due to logistics of getting to and from suitable rivers....

I have two.

One is a single and the other is listed as a two person.

I highly recommend NOT getting the three person inflatable one. They track like shit and don’t comfortably fit three people.

We have the Sea Eagle double and the Challenger single.

You can fit 2 people in the double one, but it’s more comfortable when you pull the extra seat out an do it as a single.

We’ve had them for about 3 years and they’re doing well.

Mainly lakes and slow rivers.

billyball2 -
TGP - 

I have two.

One is a single and the other is listed as a two person.

I highly recommend NOT getting the three person inflatable one. They track like shit and don’t comfortably fit three people.

We have the Sea Eagle double and the Challenger single.

You can fit 2 people in the double one, but it’s more comfortable when you pull the extra seat out an do it as a single.

We’ve had them for about 3 years and they’re doing well.

Mainly lakes and slow rivers.

Will be me and two kids… if we like it I will only keep it for a couple or 3 years until they can have their own and ill get three singles… they do look cramped, but I figure 1 adult and two kids wouldn’t be too bad…

1 Like

Looking at the Sevylor range... seem to be decent without spending stupid amounts..

I have 3 Intex kayaks.  2 single person and 1 two person.  I like the portability and not having to strap 3 kayaks to my SUV, not even sure if it's possible.  They aren't the easiest to control when there is a current but you do feel safe on them.

1 Like
RocG -
Mountain Medic -

That's at a much higher price point than the other suggestions. I'm sure it has much better materials. Are there other stand out differences?

Its Aire's lower priced brand. Aire is a top tier maker. Same material and pattern, 5 year warranty instead of 10. Not american made.

They are super tough. And they are easy to repair. Aire runs and inner bladder system instead of just pumping up like a basketball.

Had a set of their cat tubes for 10+ years. No leaks or holes and I beat the living shit out of them learning 4&5 water. I gave them to a buddies kid and he's now treating them the same, lol. We had one of their duckies (inflatable) for 3 years and only sold it because MrsMedic wanted her own cataraft. I wanted to keep it as a loner and for some hunts that require river crossing to access but I lost that debate.

Picked up a tributary tomcat tandem recently. Haven’t been in whitewater for about ten years. Holy crap this thing is fun. River flows are still above average but dropping fast. Having fun relearning old skills.

Anyone raft the Tieton in September? Booking a day or two on a raft but want to throw my boat in somewhere less treacherous.