Injuries/making the come back

What type of injuries have you had and how did you make the come back? Did your game change? Did you cut down your amount of classes? Etc. recently I had a MRI and I have two bulging disc in my neck area C5/6 C6/7. I had the ESI injection last week. What cautions should I take? I love jiu jitsu but I don't want to further eff myself up. How do I approach getting back on the mats? Phone Post 3.0

I had the same thing at the beginning of this year. I ended up being completely off the mats for two months, had 3 ESI and the first 4-6 weeks I ended up getting a bunch of minor tweaks, etc and just tried to take it slowly, only going 2-3 times a week instead of 5-6, taking a week off when things didn't feel great. I just didn't do any standup or take throws in judo and tapped early to any kind of neck pressure during the first couple of weeks.

So far so good and it seems like I'm finally getting my cardio back.

Yes I will definitely not be doing take downs and I will be tapping early to any kind of crank or discomfort to myself. I just have to control my adolescence ego Phone Post 3.0

Torn ACL-MCL & Meniscus. They used a cadaver ligament in my reconstruction. They call that method ALLOGRAFT. Im 54 yeras old so Im DONE for sure competitively. I choose not to go through that type recovery again. Its been a long road back, but my ROM is OK, just no lateral stability whatsoever. I do enjoy Tng still. Will have to go SUPER SLOW FLOW ROLLING even though its been a year since surgery. But with the right Tng partners I trust I can stay on the mat on a limited basis. CANT STOP, WONT STOP...JUST TRAIN SMARTER!!

Rick T - Torn ACL-MCL & Meniscus. They used a cadaver ligament in my reconstruction. They call that method ALLOGRAFT. Im 54 yeras old so Im DONE for sure competitively. I choose not to go through that type recovery again. Its been a long road back, but my ROM is OK, just no lateral stability whatsoever. I do enjoy Tng still. Will have to go SUPER SLOW FLOW ROLLING even though its been a year since surgery. But with the right Tng partners I trust I can stay on the mat on a limited basis. CANT STOP, WONT STOP...JUST TRAIN SMARTER!!

You sir, are an inspiration. Phone Post

Let's see...tore both shoulders, broke my nose (re-broke it a week later rolling. That really sucked), hyperextended both elbows, popped my ankle, sprained my back, messed up my finger, tore my groin, and I recently had surgery to repair a blown disk. Except for this last one, I trained through the injuries, and most happened at blue belt. I'm pretty old too, so stuff takes forever to heal.