INNOVATE OR DIE.

. Phone Post 3.0

Itdoesntmatter - 
CaptainAhab - 
Itdoesntmatter - 
CaptainAhab - And somewhere in Libya an ebola corpse is getting skull fucked by a hyena.

Again? God damn it all...

Yes. Those hyenas are lascivious.

Well, call the compliant line or something man... that shits reprehensible...

Meanwhile, back in Libya..."Did you mean the ebola corpse helpline or the skull-fucking hyena helpline?"

Maybe when people stop paying for blue names he will do something about it. This sites technology needed to be updated about 6 years ago. Phone Post 3.0

NorthernIrishZombie - I didn't renew my blue name because of outages like tonight.
Same here. I didn't even need a blue name when I bought it but I wanted to contribute cos this site has given me a lot of entertainment over the years.

It's just gone downhill so much especially the last year that I refused to get another one until it's fixed. Phone Post 3.0

Amazon Web Services

This place could be fixed in a heartbeat.

Should have no problem with event traffic Phone Post 3.0

Ttt Phone Post 3.0

I do iOS Dev... I'd be down to start a clone/better version on Github. Phone Post 3.0

Gilbosh - 

Dealing with developers can be a fucking nightmare, I know, But I've noticed a change in the tone across the whole community. The jokes about getting your 'top guys' are now replaced with REAL serious concern for the website. To the point where members are actually posting up links to sdog, reddit etc....there's even calls for a creation of a new website by ug members

Be truthful with the progress, honesty would help bring us together as a community. At the moment the community feels fragmented on this issue...2 sides..... Kirik and vague updates / Everyone else...when it should be 1 side.........Kirik, honest updates and the community.

I love this site, I love the community, Kirik, I know you've heard this a million times but fuck it...just give us an honest in-detail update on the current plan, just like everyone who creates something..they think it's there baby..but thats not true.....Sir Tim Berners-lee DIDN'T invent the web...Society did....he just created the main protocols and principles for it to thrive ....Just like here....TheUG is the product of the community, the social, no community no ug.....when things get questioned...NEW changes are adopted...and that new change could be a community member creating a place for all current ug members to go....leaving this place collecting dust.

It's simple, innovate or die. It's not to late to innovate Kirk, but fuck it's getting close. 

Thank you for the intelligent and deeply appreciated post.

First we decided that the site needed to be redone. Then we needed to lay out the changes. Then we needed to decide on a developer. Then the developer needed some specialized training. That alone was 5k and this is a very low profit business.

Then we broke the project apart and started with something pretty straightforward, where if things went wrong, it was not too earth shattering. So we did mobile. That went well.

Then the company we use had the use the developer on some other, better paying projects.

The next thing tackled was the back end for event results. That seems to have gone well.

Next apparently we going to start on the forums. I got an email 90 mins ago about it.

Please understand something. The other sites out there are either owned by companies with many sites like SB Nation (Mania, BE, MMAFighting) or CraveOnline (Sherdog) or USA Today (Junkie) or they are on some OTS platform like WordPress.

We are a small company on a custom platform, with limited development resources. In short, unless some billionaire is reading this, we are you. We are not a big company. We are huge MMA fans just like you are, working hard at this.

Some people are under the impression that I don't care. I spend 70 hours a week at this. It is my livelihood. No one this board cares as much as I do. We are working on correcting this. We have been working on it for the last 90 mins actually, and it will continue.

I am supremely grateful to everyone who bears with us as we make these corrections.

http://www.gofundme.com

Kirik -
Gilbosh - 

Dealing with developers can be a fucking nightmare, I know, But I've noticed a change in the tone across the whole community. The jokes about getting your 'top guys' are now replaced with REAL serious concern for the website. To the point where members are actually posting up links to sdog, reddit etc....there's even calls for a creation of a new website by ug members

Be truthful with the progress, honesty would help bring us together as a community. At the moment the community feels fragmented on this issue...2 sides..... Kirik and vague updates / Everyone else...when it should be 1 side.........Kirik, honest updates and the community.

I love this site, I love the community, Kirik, I know you've heard this a million times but fuck it...just give us an honest in-detail update on the current plan, just like everyone who creates something..they think it's there baby..but thats not true.....Sir Tim Berners-lee DIDN'T invent the web...Society did....he just created the main protocols and principles for it to thrive ....Just like here....TheUG is the product of the community, the social, no community no ug.....when things get questioned...NEW changes are adopted...and that new change could be a community member creating a place for all current ug members to go....leaving this place collecting dust.

It's simple, innovate or die. It's not to late to innovate Kirk, but fuck it's getting close. 

First we decided that the site needed to be redone. Then we needed to lay out the changes. Then we needed to decide on a developer. Then the developer needed some specialized training. That alone was 5k and this is a very low profit business.

Then we broke the project apart and started with something pretty straightforward, where if things went wrong, it was not too earth shattering. So we did mobile. That went well.

Then the company we use had the use the developer on some other, better paying projects.

The next thing tackled was the back end for event results. That seems to have gone well.

Next apparently we going to start on the forums. I got an email 90 mins ago about it.

Please understand something. The other sites out there are either owned by companies with many sites like SB Nation (Mania, BE, MMAFighting) or CraveOnline (Sherdog) or USA Today (Junkie) or they are on some OTS platform like WordPress.

We are a small company on a custom platform, with limited development resources. In short, unless some billionaire is reading this, we are you. We are not a big company. We are huge MMA fans just like you are, working hard at this.

Some people are under the impression that I don't care. I spend 70 hours a week at this. It is my livelihood. No one this board cares as much as I do. We are working on correcting this. We have been working on it for the last 90 mins actually, and it will continue.

I am supremely grateful to everyone who bears with us as we make these corrections.

Voted up for the honest reply. There are plenty of scaleable DB options out there maybe look into something not so custom or proven service that works? Hope you get it sorted cuz this is a good community of peeps. Phone Post 3.0

TigerMask18 - ^^^ actually, let me change that. It would take a month of downtime.

It would take as long a downtime as necessary for people to get used to checking and/or posting on another site regularly. AND that site would have to have notable industry people posting on the reg.

Kirik, Chris, etc are in a pretty safe place, even if there are notable fuck ups from time to time.

Notable industry people post on r/mma all the time.

Kirik - 
Gilbosh - 

Appreciate your honest reply, and I agree with your points, other websites have huge backers...It maybe worth posting this reply to the main board. There are huge amount of designer / developers and users who i'm sure would love to give some honest, in-detail feedback through surveys etc...which I'm sure would help you when implementing changes etc.

It's posts like these that bring the community together, and wish you all the luck with the changes...do you know why the boards keep going down during events? would a service like Cloudfare help with this?

Kirik - 
Gilbosh - 

More word salad that says nothing man, and typed out so fast its loaded with ridiculous typos . Doesnt really come across as supremely grateful as you wished it did.

Its the same cookie cutter response you post every time the board has an up roar about how poorly it runs.

CruJones - 
Kirik -
Gilbosh - 

Voted up for the honest reply. There are plenty of scaleable DB options out there maybe look into something not so custom or proven service that works? Hope you get it sorted cuz this is a good community of peeps. Phone Post 3.0

This is my thought, too. What is the point of having such a custom platform? Is it just so you can charge people for features that are standard on most other platforms? That is what I've seen some people say. If this is not the case, then why does the UG need a custom platform?

Slingblade tech support reckons the UG ain't got no gas in it...

Do you all honestly think it would take something drastic like this place going down for an entire month, to get people to migrate to another site?  Are people that married to this place?  What if UG legends like 2Jupes, Calo, DamnSevern, El Pescy, Hocky, etc were to all go to another site that was specifically created to rival this one...without the technical issues?  People would still be hell bent on posting here?   The UG is about the community...what does it matter if the community posts on the UG or some other site?

I Wild Each It -

Do you all honestly think it would take something drastic like this place going down for an entire month, to get people to migrate to another site?  Are people that married to this place?  What if UG legends like 2Jupes, Calo, DamnSevern, El Pescy, Hocky, etc were to all go to another site that was specifically created to rival this one...without the technical issues?  People would still be hell bent on posting here?   The UG is about the community...what does it matter if the community posts on the UG or some other site?

Agreed, that's why I voiced my concerns, no community, no ug Phone Post 3.0

Gilbosh - 

Get your thoughts in now before the whole fucking forum goes down again during the main event

Stipe is a Beast...I always knew it

Diaz Bros for life

don_key - 
Itdoesntmatter - 
Kirik - 
Gilbosh - 

More word salad that says nothing man, and typed out so fast its loaded with ridiculous typos . Doesnt really come across as supremely grateful as you wished it did.

Its the same cookie cutter response you post every time the board has an up roar about how poorly it runs.

kirik spends 70+ hours working on this website and he's got his top developers rewriting code line by line for the last 90 minutes

do you really think he's got time for linguistics?

Exactly, just like in one sentence its a very low profit business, and in the next line its his lively hood. Which is it? Or are you living in a dryer box behind 7-11.?

His entire post says nothing, it all leads to somewhere and stops, no facts, nothing to say exactly whats being done or when it'll be complete.

Its another carrot on a string to buy more time and pacify the board.