Installing a fence TMA/TME

Thinking of putting a short fence (3 or 4 feet high) around my house. Watched a few videos and seems pretty straightforward but I’m smart enough to know that even the most straightforward looking tasks sometimes have tricks, tips or nuances that you don’t really know of until you’re knee deep into the task or have done it a couple of times. 

Thinking of maybe going with vinyl fencing or something like that (gotta look into the best bang for the buck) but looking to install it myself to save some cash. 

Anyone ever install a vinyl fence? What’s the hardest part (would imagine getting everything straight)? Tips? Tricks? TME/TMA. 

Make sure the posts are level and in line with eachother. Dig your holes first. dont put one post in at a time.

PJ is our fence expert. 

2 Likes

jukie -

Make sure the posts are level and in line with eachother. Dig your holes first. dont put one post in at a time.

Good tips.  Also be sure to trench the ground so your wite doesnt have huge rolls in it from uneven ground. If you're trying to keep a dog in, or something like that be sure to fun hog wire on the bottom! Good luck!

Man I am doing this also. Going with Vinyl. It's expensive but in the long run there is less maintenance.

Goochy Mang -

PJ is our fence expert. 

Beat me to it. Vu sir

In hate the look of those vinyl fences.   Big plastic walls.   Very tacky imo. 

However, they are easy to take care of so they have that going for them.  

That's it and I don't want to have maintain them every couple of years. In the northeast the weather is brutal on things around here. That said some of the ceder wood looks really >

Get a stringline level. Know your lines are perfect before you start anything. I just used this 2-part epoxy foam instead of concrete for some posts and I was impressed with how it worked. It was WAY easier than mixing concrete. Also, get a posthole shovel or a posthole auger. Digging with a regular shovel suuuucks. 

I bought myself a laser level.   That thing is a game changer.   I used it for installling base and wall cabinets....but it will also be great for fence post work.

Drilling or digging the holes is the shittiest part....you can often pay someone a flat rate per hole to do that part for you then diy the rest yourself having saved yourself much frustration.

good luck my dude.

Yeah, was looking at a laser level for helping out with the posts. Seems like that is the best tool for the job.

I'd get straydog's approval first

2 Likes

TTT. 

jukie - 

To hell with level...Make sure they are plumb.

i.e. Straight up and down vertically.

Level has to do with horizontal.

jukie knows nothing... but is still giving advise. Seems right.

This is the best tool for the job...and some masons twine.

post hole digger tool

post pounding tool

Dryfly -
jukie - 

To hell with level...Make sure they are plumb.

i.e. Straight up and down vertically.

Level has to do with horizontal.

jukie knows nothing... but is still giving advise. Seems right.

This is the most important, the vertical level.  After digging your holes dump the 60lb bag of quick Crete into the hole, add water, mix with stake (don't mix in a tub, just wastes time).  When spacing the railes don't make them spaced out the same distance.  Make the lower railes closer than the upper railes. It looks better esthetically.  Look at the spacing from a distance before cutting your wholes for the rails.  Vinyl fences are the easiest fences to install.  Good luck

Depending on the signs in the alamanac, you may not have enough dirt to refill the holes after you put the post in it.  This is a real deal - not BSing.

Rent a powered post hole digger.

Also, call that pipeline number, so they can come out and mark all the underground utilities BEFORE you use the post hole digger.

My cousin hit a major water line, when he was using a powered post hole digger. The ditch by his house looked like a fucking waterpark ride! I was stunned by the volume of water that was gushing out. They had to shut the water off to his entire neighborhood for about 3 days.

GHTT_Pig Bun - Rent a powered post hole digger.

Also, call that pipeline number, so they can come out and mark all the underground utilities BEFORE you use the post hole digger.

My cousin hit a major water line, when he was using a powered post hole digger. The ditch by his house looked like a fucking waterpark ride! I was stunned by the volume of water that was gushing out. They had to shut the water off to his entire neighborhood for about 3 days.

this

i have seen some pretty shallow buries like natural gas only a foot and some telephone only 6 inches