integrate or take a beating

IF I get someone in the door and they actually see what goes on or watch a sparring session, they instantly fall in love (don't go fayg on me guys), since they are already into fighting or martial arts.

Once they see us laughing, joking, calling each other names, and talking shit while sparring, generally just having fun they usually WANT to join in right away.

I have a small group now, 4 regulars and 4-5 "whenever I can"s. Every one of them except for the one fish that got away watched a workout. The fish that got away still thought it was a bit too much.

It's all relative. Funny story. One time at band camp...

I have a bunch of skater friends. My training partner Russ had snapped his calf in two (yes, in half) going from one half pipe to another a few weeks before. He had a rod, 9 screws and two little pipes in his leg (maybe I can ask him for the x-rays to scan them in!).

Anyhow, we were all hanging out and MMA came up. They wanted to come by and watch.

A few days later they came by. We were doing the usual: unarmed training and some stickfighting, drilling and sparring, and so on. They really dug it.

They then invited me to their indoor skatepark, so they could show me what it is they do, like I had for them.

So when I got there, there were like 15 guys just flying through the air, what seemed like 15-20 feet high! Flipping, going upside down, etc. Just nuts!!

After about a half hour of watching, my friend Phil comes up to me on the top of the half pipe with a skateboard in his hand and asks "You wanna give it a shot?".

I thought "What are you nuts?!?!?!", I wanted to say something to let him know how I reallyfelt so the best I could come up with was "Nah, I'll stick to the safe stuff like MMA and knife, & stickfighting."

Thought I'd share...sorry if I'm hijacking. ;-)

"That's one of the reasons we allow and encourage everyone that walks in to take a free trial class.
By joining in they learn a few things right away:

1- They can do this. . .they just did.

2- Everyone here is cool, friendly, and not elitist, or a meathead. It's a comfortable place to be.

3- Nobody will hurt them, and it's safe.

4- It's FUN.

5- It actually works. . .as they usualy experience success with a headlock escape, basic gillitine, or CM boxing structure on day #1.

It's signs itself after that."

Sounds like the perfect place to train. Safe, fun and no egos. Too bad that happens pretty infrequently in real life...

Mark,

You saying you don't have that or that you wish he was there to train with you as well?

It may sound rare but that really is the way it works at my place.

Mike,
Basically any time they put an arm under your leg or let go of your hands in anyway, you hit them. That sets it up, from a steering wheel type pass, ie; one under, one over, you hit them until their grip loosens on the underhook side, grab that hand so they can't get it back, switch your hips like going for a simple scissor sweep, shin kick them in the head, hold on to the hand so you can land as many as needed. Its a short shot but it really takes a toll on them. Especially if they know that every time they move they will get hit.

Got it!

Thanks,

Mike

"Chicken...you shoulda tried it just like they tried your class."

My reply: "a rod, 9 screws and two little pipes"

" snapped his calf in two "

Boarding is for the CRAZIES!! The fucking LOONS!

I have seen the footage, T. It ain't pretty. His shoe was aiming towards the ceiling. Snapped clean in two. Ever heard a grown man scream like a girl?

I just got out of the gym. We did some full contact stick stuff with some gear. I'll take this ringing in my ears, burly bruises up and down my arms, busted fingernail (smashed and seperated from the skin), fat lip, and cut on my forehead over a "snapped calf". I'll take 3 days a week GLADLY over that shit.

I ain't crazy.

THis is an important thread. Some people think " I do some boxing, thai, and jiujitus and I am doing NHB". No. We have done NHB with pro boxers, collegiate wrestlers, and good jits guys and they all have tthe same thing to say aterwards "IT's not the same as I thought"

Exactly.

"These blackbelts had impressive jits records but when they started getting punched in the face, kneed in the head it all went out the window."

I have a blackbelt in getting punched in the face and am currently crosstraining in kneed in the head-do.

The first time I met Matt Lindland I went up to him and said, "Hey Matt, this (MMA) is right up your alley with your years of wrestling experience." His reply, "Oh no! This is a whole different game!" He had already won two UFC fights at the time.

Nice thread.