Interested in SEO?

This is relevant to my interests...

BLACK HAT WARNING

Here is a tactic that the bad guys used to use for local based results.

Say I wanted higher google rankings for the term "chicago MMA gym".

One of the major indicators to google was where the locations "pin" was on Google Maps in regards to what they deemed the "center" of the city.

You could just spend a few days moving your google places pin until you figured out the location and boom, higher ranking.

was silly, people would be miles from where their pin would show on google maps, but they would take the calls and just tell the customer where there address was.

simple yet pretty effective. Phone Post

Garv -

Fair points.  I am talking about people with their own personal sites, like me, who get emails from SEO experts who promise the world.  But out of the box SEO isn't really too bad.  Definitely not worth the crazy prices they want to charge.

Yeah those are hilarious. I get them and then I ask them what they do, they not realizing our agency is a giant seo agency.

After the pitch I tell them what they are doing wrong and send them an invoice.

fuck those guys. Phone Post

Hywel Teague - Sub a dub dub Phone Post

. Phone Post

Subbed for disinformation lol. Phone Post 3.0

Roman Monstrum - BLACK HAT WARNING

Here is a tactic that the bad guys used to use for local based results.

Say I wanted higher google rankings for the term "chicago MMA gym".

One of the major indicators to google was where the locations "pin" was on Google Maps in regards to what they deemed the "center" of the city.

You could just spend a few days moving your google places pin until you figured out the location and boom, higher ranking.

was silly, people would be miles from where their pin would show on google maps, but they would take the calls and just tell the customer where there address was.

simple yet pretty effective. Phone Post

Another one that used to work years ago was comments on Wordpress sites, you would make your name link to your own site, and then go out and comment everyone elses.

The best way was to use a "text spinner" which is essentially a thesaurus like automated system where you can write one paragraph, then add variables for every word in it. You would then "spin" the paragraph for every site you commented on, so the text was different enough to read like am original post, each comment like this reading as a new backlink to your own web property due to the profile name hyperlink.

Then ESL teams got a hold of this tactic and this is one of the reasons you get those terrible comments that say things like badly written haiku.
"The comment in blog that was scribed by thou good post learned to love your writing-thank you for post and will follow intelligently." Posted by viagara99 $ Phone Post

Ill write some more later, then I can just combine them all into another blog post Phone Post

This was pretty funny, I keep getting recruitment emails, SEO agencies are growing quite a bit, this one was really poorly done. 

After the last round of updates, here are a few things you will help you:

-check the anchor text distribution on all of your links and make sure nothing looks 'unnatural'

-check all content on your site to see of it has been scraped. If it has, trash it.

-use Google authorship on all new content to let google know that you are the original author Phone Post 3.0

In for learning Phone Post 3.0

Sub Phone Post

Sparkplug303bjj - After the last round of updates, here are a few things you will help you:

-check the anchor text distribution on all of your links and make sure nothing looks 'unnatural'

-check all content on your site to see of it has been scraped. If it has, trash it.

-use Google authorship on all new content to let google know that you are the original author Phone Post 3.0

Good tips spark, vtfu.

Oh, to clarify, I am the OP, I had a name change operation. 

Roman Monstrum - 
Garv -

Fair points.  I am talking about people with their own personal sites, like me, who get emails from SEO experts who promise the world.  But out of the box SEO isn't really too bad.  Definitely not worth the crazy prices they want to charge.

Yeah those are hilarious. I get them and then I ask them what they do, they not realizing our agency is a giant seo agency.

After the pitch I tell them what they are doing wrong and send them an invoice.

fuck those guys. Phone Post

haha, nice

+3 OP

buckshot44 - 

+3 OP

Thank you good sir. 

BLACK HAT WARNING

These tactics are very dangerous and can lose you your online income if you use them. 

That being said, its good to know what can be done to you. 

Since people seemed interested in the dastardly black hat tactics (and I havent written any new posts regarding best practice this week to share)  so I'll share another one. 

Google ranks websites for various keyphrases using an incredibly complex algorothim, which uses tons of different "indicators". One of these indicators they use is backlinks, links to a given site from other websites. 

Google polices and monitors the amount of backlinks that are pointed to a particular page, as well as the content surrounding the actual link itself, and the anchor text (the clickable text in a link). They analyze all of these things in efforts to detect when links have been created simply for SEO purposes, rather than actual references to a page because of that pages inherent  value to potential readers.

One of the major things Google watches for is large increases to a site in a given period.

Say I want to move my site up one slot. When someone searches for "chocolate cake" and my site appears 4th in google, and I want to be 3rd. I find the person in thirds website. 

I go to fiver.com or some other place where I can get cheap work done, and order 5,000 backlinks or some other very large number, large enough that it would be a HUGE gain given what my competitor had previously. 

I use the anchor text "chocolate cake" in the 5000 links, and I order them created in a 24 hour period. 

Then i go to google spam report http://support.google.com/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=35265 and report the offending site, OR, safer, I just wait and let Google notice themselves. 

They deindex the competitor(take them out of the search result) and my site moves up one space.

This is not only ethically sour, it also can backfire if it is found out you are the one doing the purcashing to screw over a competitor. Additionally, these things only bring you up one space, where a really well written article or other white hat tactic can increase you much more, and will remain a boon to your business. 

That being said, there are lots of things like this that give SEO a bad name.

Ttt Phone Post

Ttt Phone Post

In Phone Post 3.0