Intermediate Escape Problems

I think my basic escapes are okay, but I've been running into two types of problems.

1) Quick transitioners. These are the guys who "float". They are very good at moving from side to modified scarf to knee on stomach to north/south. It is hard to work a systematic escape game against them. Should the strategy be to find space in transition? (I've had some success with this.) Or should I be sitting down and really try to see how to flow from one positional escape to another seamlessly?

2) Escape counterers. These are the guys who give you a certain kind of space and trap you when you escape (usually to knees). I was caught numerous times today with a choke used against a roll inwards to knees. I just couldn't see a way out. Also, watching Marcelo Garcia compete, you see all his opponents rolling into knees just to have their backs taken. I know the broad answer is just higher perception, but I wonder if one needs to know specific counters to these situations. In other words, is the game to chain escapes? Meaning, when you escape a pin and run into a choke, you have to know how to escape the choke and be ready. Or is the game more about being very aware of where the opponent's hands are when you escape so you can (somehow) control them while you are escaping?

If you have to think about your basic escapes, you
are still several hundred reps away from
KNOWING your basics are solid.

With regard to the students who move quickly, you
will have to move as quickly as them. Hopefully,
your movements will be more subtle and efficient.
When a person moves quickly, the key to catching
up to them and surpassing them is timing and
awareness. You must learn to FEEL the
opponent's intentions. This can only come by slow
and deliberate repetitions that progress to the
higher speeds.

Awareness will help you before the transition.

Timing will help you during the transition.

After the transition occurs and a new position is
obtained, you must start the process all over again.

Does this make sense?

Good training to you,

Roy Harris