Intersting TUF10 Abe Wagner Comment from Blog

Some things about the experience of fighting on The Ultimate Fighter:

You fight in the middle of the afternoon, in the place you train every day, in front of 20-30 people, against a guy that you live with. It honestly didn’t feel that much like a real fight to me, more like a sparring session. My training partners and coaches can tell you I’m nothing special on a Tuesday afternoon, but when it’s Saturday in the arena, that’s when the best comes out of me. For whatever reason, I just didn’t feel “up” for the fight. It just felt more like the excitement level of a sparring session rather than a fight.
I’m not going to make excuses for my performance, I knew that my wrestling needed work coming into the competition, so the fight didn’t really illuminate anything for me there. But it did add a sense of urgency to learning it, and I’ve been working diligently on that aspect of my game since then to become a more well-rounded fighter.

That’s my take on the first episode of the season. Trust me, there’s still plenty more show to watch and a lot can (and did) happen in the next 11 episodes.

I have noticed this about the TUF show. It seems you see many of these guys get home, workout at home, get back for the finally and fight like a different fighter, even if they lost 1 or 2 weeks before they went home.

I could see the mentality that they cannot get their head into a hard core fight that feels like a training session.

i heard fedor sucks shit in the afternoon also. but saturday night...

^^Fedor is a badass 24/7.

Too bad so sad ... When its your time you have got to bring it son.

He did not make any excuses for his fight, if you read through his whole blog at fightmagazine.com you can see that.

I think he was talking just about the atmosphere of having to fight where the contestants fight each week.

sounds like excuses to me...

sometimes you loose not becouse you are not there mentally, but becouse the other guy is better.

You have to remember that these TUF fights are happening on 48 hours notice (if that much).  Of course guys are going to look like shit when they have no preparation, no gameplan, unfamiliar coaches, are sleeping in a strange environment with 15 other dudes, etc.

It should come as no surprise that everyone looks much better once they can get a full eight-week training camp in, sleep in their own beds, and train with their own coaches.

crazydave - Too bad so sad ... When its your time you have got to bring it son.

I don't know about you guys, but I have always found that the fights on TUF never really seemed that intense, and the fighters don't seem to fighting at 100%...

I've always felt, watching these fights, that the fighters don't really get into the fight, mentally, as they do when its a 'real' MMA match.

So I am definitely not surprised by this comment, they generally do look like glorified sparring matches.

I wonder if someone has some statistics on finishes in TUF fights vs real UFC events. I believe that there are significantly less knockouts on TUF (proportionally of course) than there are in live events.

ndenis - I don't know about you guys, but I have always found that the fights on TUF never really seemed that intense, and the fighters don't seem to fighting at 100%...

I've always felt, watching these fights, that the fighters don't really get into the fight, mentally, as they do when its a 'real' MMA match.

So I am definitely not surprised by this comment, they generally do look like glorified sparring matches.

I wonder if someone has some statistics on finishes in TUF fights vs real UFC events. I believe that there are significantly less knockouts on TUF (proportionally of course) than there are in live events.

^^ could be, but judging from the puking beforehand I'd say the pre-fight moments were pretty intense for Wagner.

they always look overtrained on the tuf fights

gassin all early and shit

Kind of dopey that a guy with wrestling that bad only now feels any urgency to improve it.

Must of been that great coaching:

"Stand up.

Stand up.

Do something.

Stand up."

Abe just looked like a bodybuilder in there, nothing else..he had no hands or speed, no jiu juitsu...it was a terrible fight overall...Abe the type of guy that doesnt eevn seem like a fighter.....

he sucked... hard. And I like to give people the benefit of the doubt.

travenbjj - Abe looked terrible.

sadly

Oh wait a second here. He says he felt like it was just sparring, didn't get amped up to fight, etc.....

Yet pre-fight he is in the back PUKING. Seemed like he was feeling like it was real fight right about then, doesn't it?

Maybe he is just bulimic and pukes before every sparring session.

Not to make excuses for my performance, but heres an excuse, which doesn't seem true.

on another note

heavyweight tuf sucks