Interview with OG'ers regarding gluten

When you take an OG'er away from Google, look what happens to the knowledge level.

Lol!!!! Phone Post 3.0

n2bateyou - Why does the world have such a hard on for gluten? I've not paid much attention to the whole anti gluten craze because I'm generally healthy and I don't give a fuck, but what horrible thing is it supposed to do to you? Phone Post 3.0

A small percentage of the population has Celiac disease which is 100% legit.

However, for the vast majority of gluten-free douchebags, it's nothng but a fad diet based on bro science and the desire to be special.

Haha, yeah. This is fantastic, yet extremely sad all at the same time.

We truly live in the age of Mr. and Miss "Me Too!"

Yikes, I know what it is Phone Post 3.0

http://jonrappoport.wordpress.com/2014/02/21/study-monsantos-roundup-causes-gluten-intolerance/

Its Monsantos fault

Bread makes me poop, whereas cheese locks me up for a bit, then unleashes a torrent of poop unexpectedly. Phone Post 3.0

I don't know about a gluten intolerance but bread and pasta makes me shit 12+ times a day. When I wasn't shitting I felt like I had to shit.

Since I've replaced them with gluten free sources my shitting went down to twice a day. Phone Post 3.0

Gluten fucks up your body, whether you show outward signs of an intolerance or not. Most people who have developed celiacs disease did so from years of eating gluten and growing an intolerance to it over time. But if you don't have celiacs, it doesn't mean gluten isn't doing bad things to you, or that you won't eventually develop celiacs disease, or an auto-immune disease, from continuing to eat it.

Ask any nutritionist or trainer worth his weight in salt and they all agree. Countless studies also confirm. Gluten causes tissue inflammation, primarily in the gut, but also just about anywhere else in the body depending on how much you are eating. And inflammation is arguably the root of nearly all diseases. It is also super high on the glycemic index, which triggers your bodies fat storage mechanisms and makes you gain weight. It also has addictive properties, because it attaches to the same receptors in your brain as heroin, which tends to make people over eat foods with gluten in it.

All this shit is backed up with science. And all professionals who have done research in this area agree.

Many nay sayers think that because gluten is a relatively recent trend, and that since people have been eating bread for years, that it is nonsense. What they mostly don't know is that the wheat in our bread and most products with gluten in them, was genetically modified back in the 50s so that the wheat plant would yield more per acreage. This genetically modified version of wheat is the basis for gluten intolerance, as it took a process that normally would take thousands of years of natural evolution and sped it up to a few years. Thus not allowing for humans and other animals to evolve our tolerances along with it.

The rise in celiacs disease, and many auto-immunte diseases, directly correlates to the rise in genetically modified wheat in our food supply.

It's the amount of people that jump on it because they overheard someone else talking about it. This is what happens in America. No one does their own research anymore. They just pick up on a new fad and run with it.

I don't think this is a fair statement that you can back up. You don't know how many people are gluten free because they want to be part of a fad and don't care about the science, or because they heard about it, did the research and made a decision.

Even if they don't know what gluten is, and don't know the science behind it, they could still have been directed by a doctor, a nutritionist, or a trainer. And if so, it does not validate your statement. Nor does it invalidate the gluten free movement.

Man, you really have a hard on for these gluten-free bandwagoners

bartos - Gluten fucks up your body, whether you show outward signs of an intolerance or not. Most people who have developed celiacs disease did so from years of eating gluten and growing an intolerance to it over time. But if you don't have celiacs, it doesn't mean gluten isn't doing bad things to you, or that you won't eventually develop celiacs disease, or an auto-immune disease, from continuing to eat it.

Ask any nutritionist or trainer worth his weight in salt and they all agree. Countless studies also confirm. Gluten causes tissue inflammation, primarily in the gut, but also just about anywhere else in the body depending on how much you are eating. And inflammation is arguably the root of nearly all diseases. It is also super high on the glycemic index, which triggers your bodies fat storage mechanisms and makes you gain weight. It also has addictive properties, because it attaches to the same receptors in your brain as heroin, which tends to make people over eat foods with gluten in it.

All this shit is backed up with science. And all professionals who have done research in this area agree.

Many nay sayers think that because gluten is a relatively recent trend, and that since people have been eating bread for years, that it is nonsense. What they mostly don't know is that the wheat in our bread and most products with gluten in them, was genetically modified back in the 50s so that the wheat plant would yield more per acreage. This genetically modified version of wheat is the basis for gluten intolerance, as it took a process that normally would take thousands of years of natural evolution and sped it up to a few years. Thus not allowing for humans and other animals to evolve our tolerances along with it.

The rise in celiacs disease, and many auto-immunte diseases, directly correlates to the rise in genetically modified wheat in our food supply.

The recent gluten-free diet fad is just another in a long line of silly diet fads. Your so -called "nutritionist" doesn't know WTF he/she is talking about. "Paleo!!!"

Read this:

http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/health-fitness/healthy-eating/know-your-nutrients/is-non-celiac-gluten-sensitivity-for-real

It summarizes the following study:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23648697

"In a placebo-controlled, cross-over rechallenge study, we found no evidence of specific or dose-dependent effects of gluten in patients with NCGS placed diets low in FODMAPs."

Boom.

Where is your gluten-free god now?

http://www.andjrnl.org/article/S2212-2672(12)00743-5/fulltext

"Despite numerous health claims and the exploding popularity of gluten-free products, there are no published data to support a weight loss claim for a gluten-free diet.3 Results of several studies of patients with celiac disease suggest that a gluten-free diet may actually worsen BMI status in some overweight and obese individuals. Gluten-free baked goods can be high in fat and total energy.9 Moreover, whole-grain intake is inversely associated with BMI, and wheat is the most widely consumed grain in America. Thus, going gluten-free for purposes of weight loss may have unintended consequences. Randomized-control trials are necessary to establish the effect of a gluten-free diet on weight loss in overweight or obese individuals for whom a gluten-free diet is not medically indicated.

Gluten-rich grains, especially wheat, may have health benefits attributable to naturally occurring fructan-type resistant starches as well as gluten itself. By creating a healthy composition of colon bacteria, whole-grain wheat products may protect the gut from some cancers, inflammatory conditions, and cardiovascular disease. Gluten, and one of its component proteins gliadin, may contribute to blood pressure control and immune function. Because wheat is the main source of gluten in the American diet,2930 these studies may help explain the consistent findings of health benefits of whole-grain consumption.25264344

There is no evidence to suggest that following a gluten-free diet has any significant benefits in the general population. Indeed, there is some evidence to suggest that a gluten-free diet may adversely affect gut health in those without celiac disease or gluten sensitivity.31 Additional research is needed to clarify the health effects of gluten, and potential consequences of avoiding gluten-containing grains."

SUPERJEW!! Phone Post 3.0

BTW, I must hi-lite your first few sentences:

Gluten fucks up your body, whether you show outward signs of an intolerance or not. Most people who have developed celiacs disease did so from years of eating gluten and growing an intolerance to it over time.

This is 100% bullshit. Celiac is not caused by gluten. Total bullshit. Perfect example of broscience. Amazing. Celiac is an autoimmune disorder that causes a reaction to gluten, but it is simply untrue to say that people got Celiac from eating too much gluten.

Also, gluten does not "fuck up" your body if you do not have gluten intolerance.

That's great, The People's Knee, you can use google. Will this turn into a thing where you cite a study that shows gluten is safe, and I cite a study that shows gluten is unhealthy, and we endlessly do this until one of us runs out of links?

If you intend to find studies that show gluten has no ill effects, I am sure you will find them. It doesn't mean the study was not biassed, or that it controlled the parameters for a predetermined outcome, or that it was narrow in it's scope and doesn't apply to most individuals, or that it simply wasn't conducted properly.

If you want I can go on pub med and find all kinds of links that show gluten causes inflammation, and thus serves as a potential root cause for disease. And with regard to it's weight-gaining properties due to it's position on the glycemic index scale, I don't think that is even debatable, is it?

Causes

By Mayo Clinic Staff

"The precise cause of celiac disease isn't known.

When the body's immune system overreacts to gluten in food, the immune reaction damages the tiny, hair-like projections (villi) that line the small intestine. Villi absorb vitamins, minerals and other nutrients from the food you eat. Normally, villi resemble the deep pile of a plush carpet, on a microscopic scale. The damage resulting from celiac disease makes the inner surface of the small intestine appear more like a tile floor. As a result your body is unable to absorb nutrients necessary for health and growth.

A study done by Mayo Clinic and the National Institutes of Health estimates that about 1 in 141 people in the U.S. have celiac disease, although the disease often goes undiagnosed. Celiac disease is most common in Caucasians.

Some gene changes (mutations) appear to increase the risk of developing the disease. But having those gene mutations doesn't mean you'll get celiac disease — meaning other factors must be involved.

Sometimes celiac disease is triggered — or becomes active for the first time — after surgery, pregnancy, childbirth, viral infection or severe emotional stress."

Real science (not broscience): http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/celiac-disease/basics/causes/con-20030410

This is 100% bullshit. Celiac is not caused by gluten. Total bullshit. Perfect example of broscience. Amazing. Celiac is an autoimmune disorder that causes a reaction to gluten, but it is simply untrue to say that people got Celiac from eating too much gluten.

Also, gluten does not "fuck up" your body if you do not have gluten intolerance.

So you use your bro-science to offset my bro-science?

bartos - 

So you use your bro-science to offset my bro-science?

I used the Mayo clinic. (see above)

Look, if going glutten-free makes you happy and feel good, that's great. If you think cutting off the head of a live chicken removesthe curse your ex-girlfriend put on you, that's also great. 

I have no desire to stand in the way of your happiness.