invention help

if i have an awesome idea for an invention, but someone else has already come up with the basic idea, how far can i take it?

basically, i would like to create a slick little device that would look at home in anyone's car, and even in a high-end vehicle... that serves a specific, functional purpose.

there is a company in canada that makes this device. but theirs is ugly, clumsy, and not as user-friendly as my idea would be. there would be at least two additional functionalities in my product, in addition to upgrades.

is this a feasible thing to do? i dont have any idea how international patent laws work. any advice?

Patent attorney. Phone Post 3.0

Government Cheese - Patent attorney. Phone Post 3.0

This. And delete the details of your invention or someone will jack it. Probably me.

Charles Barkley - call invent help the caveman commerce with geroge Forman lol need help cal invent help lol its all there Phone Post 3.0
You're on a roll tonight. Phone Post 3.0

Ask BIGWHITESEXY, he has invented many things over the years including the following...

-Turd Smasher
-Pumpkin Smasher
-Fried Chicken mayonnaise
-Tranny Bookmark
-Water Bed repair kit Phone Post 3.0

I think the mod trust is a patent attorney Phone Post 3.0

Hey trust why dont u do an ama. That would b way cool Phone Post 3.0

Even if your idea is patentable, are you going to have the resources to design and manufacture this device? It's a very expensive game and just getting a patent will cost you thousands. The rest could cost hundreds of thousands. What's your end game? Phone Post 3.0

Charles Barkley - call invent help the caveman commerce with geroge Forman lol need help cal invent help lol its all there Phone Post 3.0
Da fuq you just say? Phone Post 3.0

wooderson76 -
He said "i wild each it" Phone Post 3.0

In for ideas Phone Post 3.0

Is it or some element of it patented? If not no issue.

You have a few options if patented. Basically a patent boils down to set of very specific claims that are nothing more than ammunition for a civil court case in the jurisdiction the patent is taken out in.

Even if you are infringing, they have to go to the trouble of winning a civil court case to get you to stop or pay them. If they don't hold the patent in another country you can just sell it there and the patent doesn't amount to shit.

Get a patent lawyer to look at the claims. If they are embodied in some older thing that isn't patented you free to use them. Otherwise you can change things just enough so the claims don't apply.

Trust - 
cadeswallows - Hey trust why dont u do an ama. That would b way cool Phone Post 3.0

I've thought about it

Woot

I watched a Shark Tank re-run today, and some kid and his family spent 300k developing a thermos that housed real fruit on the bottom level and water on the top...I guess it infused it somehow.

I came away thinking the notion of inventing can be VERY expensive

wooderson76 -
I think that was the most normal sentence he has cever posted.

Must be an imposter. Phone Post 3.0

Trust -
cadeswallows - Hey trust why dont u do an ama. That would b way cool Phone Post 3.0

I've thought about it

Well stop thinkin and start doin.

Plez Phone Post 3.0

irony

cadeswallows - 
Trust -

I've thought about it

Well stop thinkin and start doin.

Plez Phone Post 3.0

do it, please! we can do away with this crappy thread, and get our answers there!