Investment guys...need help

Me and my wife are teachers so we have the teachers’ retirement and we can also invest money pre taxed in mutual funds through Voya . They offer a product that guarantees 3% , is now a good time to move our money into that and when the market drops, go back in? Thanks.

1 Like

I don’t know much about Voya, but I’d be reluctant myself. My thought is that the overall market averages ~6.8% adjusted for inflation or 10.9% un-adjusted over the last 50 years; it’s even higher over the 10- and 30- year periods. There are a lot of talking heads spouting off about inflation and where it will go in the next couple of years, I’m less concerned about it, but I also have fixed assets which benefit in higher inflation periods, but if inflation is =>3%, than a 3% return means you’re even or losing money overall. I’d take my chances investing in the overall market

I 10000% understand being worried about the market being too high and investing at the top of the market in case there is a pending crash, but there is no way to predict it. The market could go on another 10 year bull run and waiting would just further reduce the power of your money.

An important question on what to do is your time horizon. If you have 20+ years, I’d trust the market. even if you go in at the top and then if drops the next day, you’re fairly assured over the 20 years it’ll recover and grow fro you.

Last question I’d ask myself is, how are they guaranteeing me a 3% return they have to be making more than 3% with my money - how? I bet they use broad market funds.

I did find this: Independent Review of the VOYA Fixed Plus Account III - Independent Annuity Reviews

[quote=“DaddyO4, post:1, topic:3674847, full:true”] They offer a product that guarantees 3%
[/quote]

Nothing is guaranteed when it comes to investments

A 3% price performance for a mutual fund?

Get an index fund that is tracing the S&P500. If you’re getting something underperforming that benchmark you’re going to miss out on a lot of gains longterm.

1 Like

Can you afford a mortgage? The inflation is upon us and debt is actually a good thing

1 Like

are you even looking at the market?

It sounds like you’re talking about an annuity. Maybe not. (Edit sounds more like a fixed account in your 403(b), regardless doesn’t matter that much).

Typically products with guarantees aren’t very liquid. They typically have redemption fees, surrender charges, or other ways to keep you from moving money out when the market goes south. Think about it, if everyone did what you’re proposing, insurance companies wouldnt be in business.

As a government employee, are you eligible for social security? Do you have a 401(a) or 457(b) plan available? Those are typically better options than products with guarantees. Do you have a pension? Also, do you plan to teach forever? Any plans for administration or a industry change at some point?

Well, you’ve already made the very important first step: to eschew needless advice from a professional financial advisor/ fiduciary, in favor of that from strangers on an MMA discussion board.

Next, pick some advice on this thread and put your life savings and future in the hands of some random OG’er, who may or may not be living in his mom’s basement.

I think that’s probably the best way to proceed.

2 Likes

so you have nothing but snide bullshit to push in to the open.

you going to address the points presented in the video or just more bullshit to spew?

do everyone a favor, shut the fuck up.

here comes the intelligent retort.

hurry up and form complete sentences. i have get some sleep.

keep getting your information from paid shills Shen. TV does wonders for the ability to communicate.

I had no right to bring your mom’s basement into this. That was obviously hurtful.

I didn’t watch the video.

I have a fantastic financial advisor and I don’t take advice from random dudes on the internet --and encourage OP to do the same.

predictable.

it would have been nice to engage you on salient points.

fuckin shame. cracker jack black belt too or is it just your understanding of how information flows today?

Rected

It’s like getting bitch slapped. The shame must be unbearable

Financial advisors are biased salespeople with very little training/education. Probably worst you can listen to.

1 Like