IOC Officially Cuts Wrestling from 2020 Olympics

Sad news. Phone Post

Well there goes medals for the US and Russian. Complete bullshit though without the lame jokes

No reason or justification given as to why. What a joke. Some of the things in the Olympics I wouldn't even consider a sport and they drop a sport that has been there since the genesis of the Olympics. Phone Post

HitchieG - 

No reason or justification given as to why. What a joke. Some of the things in the Olympics I wouldn't even consider a sport and they drop a sport that has been there since the genesis of the Olympics. Phone Post

WE NEED MO PING POONG

-Asia

IOC is a complete joke

As long as we still have Equestrian I'm cool with not having wrestling. Phone Post

Stupid idiots must be sniffing petrol. Phone Post

Thats fucking ridiculous.

More here

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/ioc-drops-wrestling-2020-olympics-18473870

"Wrestling will now join seven other sports in applying for inclusion in 2020. The others are a combined bid from baseball and softball, karate, squash, roller sports, sport climbing, wakeboarding and wushu. They will be vying for a single opening in 2020.

The IOC executive board will meet in May in St. Petersburg, Russia, to decide which sport or sports to propose for 2020 inclusion. The final vote will be made at the IOC session, or general assembly, in September in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

It is extremely unlikely that wrestling would be voted back in so soon after being removed by the executive board.

"Today's decision is not final," Adams said. "The session is sovereign and the session will make the final decision."

"

Huh? Is synchronised swimming still in there? Phone Post

Add Combat Sambo and we'll call it even.

Pancake Syrup - 
HitchieG - 

WE NEED MO PING POONG

-Asia

thing is wrestling is 'big' in asia participation wise too. China & Japan do well, even countries like Mongolia, North Korea and India (the most unathletic country in the world) have good participation and success.

wrestling has the perfect olympic credentials, it dates back to the original games, there is widespread participation all over the world, the olympic gold is the sport's main prize, instead we increasingly get 3rd rate tennis, football, baseball (wtf), golf (WTF!!) competitions 'for the ratings' which noone even cares about the olympic gold in.

anyway... olympics just jumped the shark for me. =P

Wrestling has been part of the Olympics since Day 1, 1896.
This is some bullshit Phone Post

Fuck IOC.

Ping Pong is something you do with friends while downing countless beers not in the Olympics. I've never seen a High School Ping Pong Team or some type of Youth League for Ping Pong? Phone Post

Skip2MyLou - Wrestling has been part of the Olympics since Day 1, 1896.

/real day 1, Ancient Greece Phone Post

They are looking at adding:

Baseball / softball
Karate
Squash
Sports climbing
Wakeboarding
Wushu (Kung-Fu)
Rollerskating / Skateboarding

In 2014 (Rio) they are adding golf and rugby.

I think the reason for removing wrestling is purely based on audience numbers for the sport, unfortunately.

Hired Gun - Ping Pong is something you do with friends while downing countless beers not in the Olympics. I've never seen a High School Ping Pong Team or some type of Youth League for Ping Pong? Phone Post

This. Along with a lot of the other bullshit kept in.

And don't give me the ratings arguments, because a lot of the bullshit they have there does poor ratings. Just think about some of the shit they kept in. Phone Post

This is not a bad thing.

FILA Wrestling in modern time has had to kowtow to the IOC. This is why there's weight classes 12kg apart (3 styles means lots of medals so weight classes have to be broad) and in the name of casual appeal you end up with 2 minute rounds and silly stuff like compulsory par terre in Greco Roman that lasted a couple of Olympic cycles.

Skip2MyLou - Wrestling has been part of the Olympics since Day 1, 1896.

. Phone Post