Iole: Cormier as close to perfect as we have seen

Iole: Cormier as close to perfect as we have seen

/go=news.detail&gid=443956

Yahoo Sports Kevin Iole argues that Daniel Cormier is as close to perfect as you will find in mixed martial arts.

It's math.

If you count the rounds he won in as winning rounds, after 28 rounds of MMA across 14 fights, one single judge has ever awarded even a single round to his opponent (it was the fifth round vs. Josh Barnett). His winning percentage is thus 98.8%.

However, Daniel Cormier has never been the best. As a teenager he did not win gold at the cadet world championships. As a college student he did not win Div I nationals. And as an adult he did not win worlds and he did not win an Olympic gold medal.

Cormier fights Dan Henderson on May 24 at UFC 173, live on PPV. It is believed that the winner may get a shot at the winner of Jon Jones vs. Alexander Gustafsson, which will take place sometime this year.

If he won the UFC light heavyweight championship, a lifelong dream would be realized.

"Athletically, I can say I've finally won," he said of that imagined moment. "I didn't win the Olympics. I didn't win the world championships. I didn't win the NCAA tournament. I always have been one of the best guys, but I have never been the best guy.

"It will be great to be 35, 36 years old and to finally achieve what I strived so many times in my life to be: The absolute best at whatever it is I'm doing. I've always been close, but I've never been the best, and winning the UFC championship would be the completion of an athletic dream that started when I was fricking 8-9 years old."

If Cormier is as close to perfect as it gets, Dan Henderson's hand is as close to weapon of mass destruction as it gets. And first of course Cormier needs to beat Hendo.

"When you're preparing for a Dan Henderson, you know everything has to be in order," he said. "If it's all not in order, you're going to get beat up, simple as that. I've been thorough in my preparation and I've worked hard to cover all of my bases so I'm ready for everything that Dan brings."

Read entire article...

O rly fuckface? Phone Post 3.0

Loll Phone Post 3.0

Meh, I see his point but someone like barao deserves that title 1000x more than Cormier at this point.

Both are great fighters, but which one would you say has accomplished more? Which has looked more impressive against top 10 fighters?

Does anyone know when the last time baraoost a round was? Phone Post 3.0

I give Cormier a 65-70% chance of beating Jones. I think he's got all the tools and I think his stockiness, power, and wrestling will match up well against Jones' length.

Kazp306 - Lole is a shitty writer. Its well documented. Phone Post 3.0
He sure is. Iole on the other hand is okay. Phone Post 3.0

I always said that if you can beat Pat Cummins, you are pretty much the perfect fighter.... Phone Post 3.0

Didn't read. However, in today's mma game Cormier is as close to perfect as a coach could want a fighter to be. Phone Post 3.0

I'd kind of want to see him fight Spitsbing if he beats Stann.

Lmao!!! Phone Post 3.0

Cormier is a legit threat to Jones. First of all it's not his fault Evans pulled out of the (Cummings) fight. Second, he's an undefeated fighter and former Olympian wrestler who trains and spars with the UFC heavyweight champion at arguably the best camp in MMA. While anything can happen chances are when Jones kicks or does his spinnin shit he'll probably go for a ride. He dumped Josh Barnett with ease FFS. Perfection isn't a fair comparison but he is a threat to anyone.

Did he just admit Fedor was perfect?

Lole is skeins I really don't enjoy in mm a journalism Phone Post 3.0

Are we talking about the same Cormier who couldn't put Jeff Monson away? Phone Post 3.0

sockeye - Are we talking about the same Cormier who couldn't put Jeff Monson away? Phone Post 3.0
Yes the same one who put on a boxing clinic. He was shoe shinning Monson. Phone Post 3.0

FlowWithTheGo -
sockeye - Are we talking about the same Cormier who couldn't put Jeff Monson away? Phone Post 3.0
Yes the same one who put on a boxing clinic. He was shoe shinning Monson. Phone Post 3.0
Yeah. Owned him like he was sparring. Cain is the better choice, though. Phone Post 3.0

FlowWithTheGo -
Yeah. Owned him like he was sparring. Cain is the better choice, though. Phone Post 3.0

sockeye - Are we talking about the same Cormier who couldn't put Jeff Monson away? Phone Post 3.0

It was like what, his 6th fight? Cut the dude some slack

Sounds like Iole wants that BBC. I bet he's got the queen of spades tattooed somewhere on him. He wants to color with the purple crayon, if ya know what I'm sayin. Phone Post 3.0

allforroy -
FlowWithTheGo -
Cormier would beat Cain Phone Post 3.0