iPhone alternative - coming Oct for T-Mobile

Google Introduces a Phone With PC Features

In the latest of a string of challenges to Apple’s popular iPhone, Google and T-Mobile on Tuesday introduced the first mobile phone powered by Google’s Android software, which they hope will bring PC-like features to millions of cellphone users.

The $179 T-Mobile G1, as the device is known, has a large color touch screen that slides out to expose a full keyboard, as well as a 3-megapixel camera. The phone’s software provides an Internet browser and easy access to many of Google’s services, including search, Gmail and YouTube. Although several applications come preloaded on the phone, the G1 is also designed to encourage third-party developers to create programs to run on it.

The G1, which is manufactured by HTC of Taiwan, will be available in the United States on Oct. 22 and in Britain in early November, the companies said. It will be available in other T-Mobile markets in Europe early next year.

“This is as good a computer as you had a few years ago,” said Google’s co-founder Larry Page, who along with the company’s other co-founder, Sergey Brin, arrived on roller blades at the New York stage where the companies held a news conference.

Google has invested tens of millions of dollars in developing the Android operating software and is giving it away for free to cellphone makers and carriers. The company hopes that many companies will build phones based on Android.

Android is one of several efforts by Google to extend its dominance from the PC-Web to the mobile Web. The software is its effort to ensure that its consumer services — as well as its advertising systems — are widely available on mobile phones..

T-Mobile, the No. 4 wireless carrier in the United States, is hoping that the G1 will help it compete more effectively against larger carriers like AT&T, Verizon Wireless and Sprint. The company said that the G1 was primarily aimed at the consumer market, but expected that business users would also find the device compelling.

“I think frankly this device will have mass appeal,” said Cole Brodman, chief technology and innovation officer of T-Mobile USA.

The G1, which will run on both high-speed 3G networks and older cellular networks, also has Wi-Fi access, GPS navigation and Bluetooth connections. T-Mobile said the batteries will support five hours of talk time and 130 hours of standby time.

Much like Apple has done with the iPhone, Google and T-Mobile plan to offer a store where users can download applications, which they are calling the Android market. Access to Amazon.com’s MP3 store will be preloaded on the device.

The $179 price in the United States requires a two-year voice and data plan and is $20 cheaper than the iPhone. Data plans ranged from $25 to $35 a month, T-Mobile said. Pricing for Europe was not immediately known.

img src =http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2008/09/23/technology/23googlephone.L.jpg
img src=http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2008/09/23/technology/23googlephone.3.190.jpg

thx jimmy, but pretty sure fearmir was all over this the past couple o days...

pretty sure i'm gonna go this route.

Oh I see... I'm not on the board too much. Sorry about it being a repost.

This might make me lean towards T-mobile. If there is something that'll be a good alternative to the iPhone, it will be whatever Google comes out with.

wtf that's an ugly ass phone.

ugly is cool. it's like the A10 of telephones!

the phone looks ugly

Functionality over fashion for my phone.

www.t-mobileg1.com to place your orders now for existing customers.  $179.99 on a two year renewal if you qualify for upgrade.  No 3G in hawaii so you can still use the regular unlimited data plans.  IF you are in a 3G area, the data plans will run 25-35 bucks a month depending if you want unlimited text or not.

Going to play with one when I go to Vegas next week for T-Mo convention and then when I get back we have training on it so I will examine it more.

FearMir - www.t-mobileg1.com to place your orders now for existing customers. $179.99 on a two year renewal if you qualify for upgrade. No 3G in hawaii so you can still use the regular unlimited data plans. IF you are in a 3G area, the data plans will run 25-35 bucks a month depending if you want unlimited text or not.Going to play with one when I go to Vegas next week for T-Mo convention and then when I get back we have training on it so I will examine it more.

Make sure to give us a heview. thanks!

What are the 3g markets? I looked at the coverage locater but it doesn't talk about 3g specifically on the map.

kanotoa - Can't wait till Cingular gets the android. Fuck Jobs.

There is no such thing as Cingular anymore!   Last I heard At&T would be slow to have an Android OS because they enjoy charging for their own applications as opposed to having ones created for the Android open source OS.

•  

Wutang - What are the 3g markets? I looked at the coverage locater but it doesn't talk about 3g specifically on the map.

Wutang - What are the 3g markets? I looked at the coverage locater but it doesn't talk about 3g specifically on the map.

• what i said up there! 

Thanks FearMir! Once the reviews and Android 2.0 comes out it may seal the deal for me.

kanotoa -
FearMir -
kanotoa - Can't wait till Cingular gets the android. Fuck Jobs.

There is no such thing as Cingular anymore! Last I heard At&T would be slow to have an Android OS because they enjoy charging for their own applications as opposed to having ones created for the Android open source OS.

I read the same thing. The thing Google has that might change things is huge advertising revenue. Some people think that mobile phone ads might exceed the regular web ads because they would be proximal. If Sprint makes $$$ ATT will change their greedy little minds.

It's just a matter of time before you get spammed via mobile advertising.