Iraq:We were looking for somebody’s ass to kick

PETER BAKER, chief White House correspondent for the N.Y. Times, is out Tuesday with his tour de force, "Days of Fire: Bush and Cheney in the White House" (Doubleday; 816 pages – 650 pages of text, plus footnotes, etc.).

Here are a few notes from early readers: By the time they left office, Bush and Cheney were on opposite sides of almost every major issue, including North Korea, Syria, Lebanon, Russia, Middle East peace talks, gun rights, gay rights, climate change, surveillance, detention and the auto bailout. And that was all before the Scooter Libby pardon.

There were more doubts about invading Iraq inside the Bush team than were publicly known at the time. Karen Hughes, one of the president's closest confidantes, worried that it would be a mistake to go to war and brought up her concerns with Bush. The president sent her to Condoleezza Rice for reassurance, but she was never fully convinced and at several points tried to keep Bush from feeling trapped into going to war.

As one senior official who came to rue his involvement in Iraq put it, "The only reason we went into Iraq, I tell people now, is we were looking for somebody's ass to kick. Afghanistan was too easy."

Iraq took more of a toll on Bush than he was willing to let on. As violence worsened in his second term, one adviser said Bush was discouraged "almost to the point of despondence" and at some briefings "it was almost as if he was pleading with us not to give him any more bad news." It got to the point that Bush was grinding his teeth so hard they hurt. Laura Bush took to inviting his brother, Marvin, to the White House on weekends to distract the president from his troubles.

What really sank the Harriet Miers nomination to the Supreme Court was not opposition among conservatives but secret murder boards by administration lawyers who discovered how little she understood about constitutional issues like Fourth Amendment search and seizure rules or the Fifth Amendment bar on self-incrimination. "She literally knew nothing about it at all, nothing," said one official. Cheney could only shake his head.

"I tried to tell him," he confided to an aide.... When Bush first met Vladimir Putin and declared that he had "a sense of his soul," Cheney's staff was "rolling our eyes." Cheney told people that when he looked into Putin's soul, he saw: "KGB, KGB, KGB."

http://www.politico.com/playbook/1013/playbook11964.html

Yeeeeah, that's what I've always thought. In reality, that's all Afghanistan was too. It's really sad. I can kind of understand going to Afghanistan. Sort of . . . However, our involvement in Iraq is unforgivable. There was no real justification. All that weapons inspector stuff was obvious bullshit. Especially, since I know for a fact that SF was prepping it in the summer of 02. They could have been doing it longer. Phone Post 3.0

The ol' Buddy Revell approach. Phone Post

Someone needs to post the autotune classic with Obama " I talk to the experts, so I know who's ass to kick".

DO IT FAGGOT! Phone Post

Sounds like a weak minded man was allowed to be Potus.

Hessian - Sounds like a weak minded man was allowed to be Potus.

Nah, we wouldn't do that... Phone Post

A-Stan was too easy ... lol love that comment.

A-Stan is very clearly about the heroin trade and the US wants that extra income. Well that and trying to stop Russia from building a pipeline.

How the men and women of the armed forces have not revolted or had a coup by now is mind boggling.

I'm just glad the US has such a well thought and competently executed foreign policy. Three thousand US dead in a bullshit war.

The Bush admin has basically gotten away with it. There should have been a lot more retribution directed towards the individuals involved.

I fear the Bush and Obama administrations have started us down a path of no return as a nation. I would be shocked if the U.S. is still a superpower in another 50 years. Phone Post

I would be surprised if a Super Power in 5 years once the World drops the US Dollar as the currency of oil trade.

The World has had enough of the printing money without a value.

After 9/11, 99% of America wanted to kick someone's ass and Iraq fit the bill. Bush might have initiated the act, but the rest of the country followed with pitchforks and torches. We were all part of the mess.

Stupidnewbie -

VTFU BROTATO!!! Phone Post

IP - After 9/11, 99% of America wanted to kick someone's ass and Iraq fit the bill. Bush might have initiated the act, but the rest of the country followed with pitchforks and torches. We were all part of the mess.
Yup. Funny how easy everybody tends to forget that and just points fingers.. I'm sure everybody posting on this thread were the true 1%ers though Phone Post 3.0

IP - After 9/11, 99% of America wanted to kick someone's ass and Iraq fit the bill. Bush might have initiated the act, but the rest of the country followed with pitchforks and torches. We were all part of the mess.
Horse crap. It was just about the exact same day when all media, seemingly out of nowhere, changed headlines from bin Laden to Hussein. We went for no good reason and destroyed our nation so conservators like Cheney could profit on the blood of middle class Americans. He should be prosecuted first for treason for destroying our economy as an act of war, then for crimes against humanity in world court. That's fact.

Obama has been continually stymied by the childish antics of John nowhere and the right wing crybabies who blame him for everything bad in the past 150 years . I'm not saying the guy is the best Potus we've ever had, but he's certainly better than that nutless coward Bush. Phone Post 3.0

Soup and Beer - 

I fear the Bush and Obama administrations have started us down a path of no return as a nation. I would be shocked if the U.S. is still a superpower in another 50 years. Phone Post

50??

lol the events that are happening right now are degrading America's health as a nation by the minute. Its already happening.

the government used a national tragedy to push their agenda. they did the same thing with Sandy hook. someone could make money off going to war with irag (cheney) so that is what we did.

if we gave a shit about getting revenge we would have nuked saudi arabia into 700 AD...about 10 years ago for them.

jettdogg - 
IP - After 9/11, 99% of America wanted to kick someone's ass and Iraq fit the bill. Bush might have initiated the act, but the rest of the country followed with pitchforks and torches. We were all part of the mess.

You're speaking for yourself. It wasn't hard to recognize 2 years of insane bullshit propaganda in the run up to invading Iraq. It's hard to believe it all actually happened, but it did. Disgraceful and criminal.

You may be right ("You're speaking for yourself") but I remember everyone I knew, congress, and the media.....everyone..... was chomping at the bit. Iraq seemed to materialize on a silver platter. More people were volunteering for military duty than I'd ever seen.

My point has nothing to do with right or wrong, but I stand by "we were looking for someone's ass to kick," and most of us were guilty.

mendelson - 
Horse crap. It was just about the exact same day when all media, seemingly out of nowhere, changed headlines from bin Laden to Hussein. We went for no good reason and destroyed our nation so conservators like Cheney could profit on the blood of middle class Americans. He should be prosecuted first for treason for destroying our economy as an act of war, then for crimes against humanity in world court. That's fact.

Obama has been continually stymied by the childish antics of John nowhere and the right wing crybabies who blame him for everything bad in the past 150 years . I'm not saying the guy is the best Potus we've ever had, but he's certainly better than that nutless coward Bush. Phone Post 3.0

You disagree that most of us wanted to storm troop into Iraq during that time period?

IP - 
mendelson - 

You disagree that most of us wanted to storm troop into Iraq during that time period?

I don't think it started off that way. I remember a process of evidence being presented that convinced people and congress over time that Iraq was actively up to no good. Eventually people got on the bandwagon, but I don't think people were thinking "who's next" till Iraq became a nuclear power overnight.