Irish/Scots heritage in the USA

Genuine question: Why do so many Americans claim to be of Irish and, to a lesser extent, Scottish descent?

I'm certain there would be a lot more Americans with English heritage ahead of the aforementioned two. As for Wales, I've never heard of an American speak of their proud Welsh roots. Phone Post 3.0

Is that a genuine question or not?

What if your like third generation with no mixing,your irish in dna.

Maybe those countries sought the land of opportunities, whilst the English were happy in their Kingdom. Phone Post

Scot on my mom's side. Welsh and English in my dad's side. Grandma was researching our genealogy until she got to some family members that got ran out of Tennessee for horse thieving (so my dad says). Phone Post

From what I remember Scots/Irish are usually considered the Scottish Presbyterian's that originally went to colonize northern Ireland, then left to america in the 16- 1700s after a few generations when shit went down there. A lot of the original "English" colonists were Cromwell supporters that fled england as were the Scots Irish. Phone Post

So they're basically white guys that want some type of heritage other then being the bad guys in all the U.S. and Irish movies and history books. Phone Post

I am Irish but claim to be from NYC - does that count...

JJSFC - Genuine question: Why do so many Americans claim to be of Irish and, to a lesser extent, Scottish descent?

I'm certain there would be a lot more Americans with English heritage ahead of the aforementioned two. As for Wales, I've never heard of an American speak of their proud Welsh roots. Phone Post 3.0

Because many of them left or got kicked out of their motherlands and kept a chip on their shoulder that kept them close to their heritage and their Anglophobia, which dove tails nicely into the bit Americans in general always have.

They go too far often in silly ways, but the Welsh never experienced the same thing.

It's much the same with Irish/Scottish people in Canada, only we're more subdued, as to be expected, while some of us know better than to blame all our ills on the English.

My family clan, MacFarlane, was driving out of Scotland by the Scottish government, not the English, because we just wouldn't stop blackmailing, murdering people and stealing their cattle as we'd always done and did even more eagerly when people would complain about it.

St. Patrick's day. Every one of my white people, every fucking one, claims they are Irish. Phone Post

sycotik - St. Patrick's day. Every one of my white people, every fucking one, claims they are Irish. Phone Post
I'd confidently say 3/4s of them are lying/don't have a clue. Phone Post 3.0

Because Irish people are a fun and non threatening people. When was the last time you heard of Ireland invading anywhere? Phone Post 3.0

Lol I'm welsh scotch and Irish Phone Post 3.0

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotch-Irish_American

HATERS

sycotik - St. Patrick's day. Every one of my white people, every fucking one, claims they are Irish. Phone Post
How many white people do you own? Phone Post 3.0

JJitsu - So they're basically white guys that want some type of heritage other then being the bad guys in all the U.S. and Irish movies and history books. Phone Post
Seems that way. Saying that, us Englishmen make a great villain in films. Phone Post 3.0

JJSFC - Genuine question: Why do so many Americans claim to be of Irish and, to a lesser extent, Scottish descent?

Read about Scottish and Irish history to answer your question. Phone Post 3.0

Americans of British heritage will almost invariably refer to themselves as 'Americans', because it's not exotic enough to be a prefix.

Squatdog - Americans of British heritage will almost invariably refer to themselves as 'Americans', because it's not exotic enough to be a prefix.
I did think that. Shame. Phone Post 3.0