"Iron Sights" for AR---what are good options ?

Been a few years since I looked.

What are decent options for iron sights or "back up" sights for AR these days ?

What are the cool kids using ?

What are some decent priced options ?

Last couple of sets I bought were the Troy Industries HK style sights.

Will need some for an upper on the way, don't need the best.

diamond

I still like the Magpul Pro BUIS but there’s a lot of good options out there.

RocknRolla - diamond

Great reviews and don't seem crazy priced

Would have to make sure can get used to rear sight

Iron sights? Is that the peasant scope the commies put on their guns?

whats your price range? $20-200?

I have Troy canted flip ups.  

Magpul mbus pro's are nice.  Troy and Daniel defense make good options too

TTT

invalid - Iron sights? Is that the peasant scope the commies put on their guns?

Good point they are probably not really needed these days

Especially using Nighfotrce and similar quality optics

This weekend I was having trouble effectively engaging steel target hiding in the woods.

Switched over to the backup iron sights and had no problem hitting the mark.

These are great. I have the metal version but they do make a polymer set but I have never used them.

Trijicon RMR

I like the Troy flip-ups. They work fine. 

Do you want folding or fixed?

Fixed- I like the DD sights and Scalarwors 

Folding- Geissele, MBUS Pro, KAC, Troy

williepep -
invalid - Iron sights? Is that the peasant scope the commies put on their guns?

Good point they are probably not really needed these days

Especially using Nighfotrce and similar quality optics

This weekend I was having trouble effectively engaging steel target hiding in the woods.

Switched over to the backup iron sights and had no problem hitting the mark.

I get that logic but unless is just a competition gun or something I’ll always run a set of back up irons. They weigh basically nothing and if you don’t have rail space of a set of irons you have too much shit on your gun. 

honestly I think too many folks never spend time shooting irons. 

KAC, LMT, Troy (I know, I know).

Polymer is the way to go. I saw a test a few years back. The plastic Magpul ones were actually the most durable. Instead of bending, the plastic flexes and then flexes back. Also the cheapest.

The point about not really being needed anymore is a very valid one.Pat Rogers mentioned that years back. The need for BUIS is questionable at this point considering the reliability of modern optics. An Aimpoint is more reliable/harder to damage that standard irons were. You didn't have backup irons for regular irons.

Moreover, vis laser can handle that function. I have BE Meyers MAWLs on my guns.

And FUCK Troy. Less for hiring than the lying/coverup afterward.

"And FUCK Troy. Less for hiring than the lying/coverup afterward."

I know, I know. LOL

My brother put the offset MBUS sights on his AR.  45 degree canted sight similar to what Y Not has on the gun on the left.  THat way you don't have to choose between optics.  You get both, now you can go with a higher power on  your scope and use the same gun for clearing rooms and shooting 400 yds.

“The need for BUIS is questionable at this point considering the reliability of modern optics.”

1) I’ve had a CCO go down on me in Afghanistan. I know another who’s ACOG was destroyed when a bullet hit it.

2) I’ve had an until then reliable Trijicon red dot start jumping on every shot quickly losing zero. By the time I realized what was happening my zero was off by about 3-5 feet.

Any electronic sight can go down for any number of reasons. BUIS are and will always remain a necessity on a fighting gun.

1 Like