Is a casting punch legal in boxing?

Is a casting punch like Fedor throws where the back of the hand makes contact legal in boxing? Thanks.

Casting is pretty common among eastern european ammys, def legal for pros. Not sure what you mean by back of hand?

Thanks, Kirik. I mean the back of the hand in that, at least in some of the videos/pictures I've seen of Fedor, he's landing punches with his thumb down, pinky up, and his palm facing away from his opponent.

pic to illustrate?

Has Fedor ever said he throws a "casting" punch? From what i see the fighters who do well with punches usually credit standard boxing training, and the claims of secret techniques usually come from outside sources trying to claim credit.

This video describes what I'm talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JISgLclfX3c

Ah I see.

Yes such a punch is legal in boxing.

No it isn't, you have to hit with the knuckle area of your glove. Back hand strikes are illegal.

But again, has Fedor ever said that he's throwing a casting punch? It looks to me like people trying to cash in on Fedors name.

Does a 'casting punch' even exist? I've only ever heard it mentioned when people are talking about Fedor and as HULC mentioned I don't ever recall hearing Fedor talking about it.

If you google 'casting punch -fedor' (pages that include casting punch, but don't include the word fedor) then you got no relevant results.

It's like it's just some made up thing that Fedor fanboys created.

It's usually spouted off by the Systema guys claiming Fedor is using systema. Fedor himself said he trained in boxing and kickboxing for his standup. His punches always looked more like wild overhands than anything I see from vids of "casting" punches. Hitting with the back of the hand is a great way to break your hand, which is probably why Fedor had so many hand issues in his career.

Scott Sonnon shows casting punches in his Fisticuffs videos. If I remember right he claims that involving more joints in a strike leads to greater power.

To me it seemed like suicide since I was always taught that straight punches beat looping punches every single time.

My 2 pennys.

Casting punches originates from bare knuckle boxing. So, travelers (I suppose you guys would call them gypsys) use 'casting' when they box.

The idea is to connect with the first two knuckles nearest your thumb (same as pretty much every 'boxing' or 'martial art' style). However, your fist is twisted 90 degrees from a traditional horizontal fist. So the knuckles run perpendicular from the ground with the index finger being lowest and the little finger (pinky in american) highest.

Casting doesn't originate in the bareknuckle boxing of the old days, and i've never heard a traveller, tinker, gypsy, pikey, etc, use the word casting. Only sambo guys ever mention that word in regard to throwing a punch.

Traditionally in boxing and in Kung Fu, you land with the lower three knuckles. Landing with the upper two knuckles comes from Japanese martial arts and only came into vogue amongst some boxers back in the 60s and 70s.

I've seen Shogun and JDS do this as well Phone Post

HULC - Casting doesn't originate in the bareknuckle boxing of the old days, and i've never heard a traveller, tinker, gypsy, pikey, etc, use the word casting. Only sambo guys ever mention that word in regard to throwing a punch.

Traditionally in boxing and in Kung Fu, you land with the lower three knuckles. Landing with the upper two knuckles comes from Japanese martial arts and only came into vogue amongst some boxers back in the 60s and 70s.

They don't use the word 'casting' but that is how they box. Since when do 'Sambo guys' speak English anyway?

pe0 - 
HULC - Casting doesn't originate in the bareknuckle boxing of the old days, and i've never heard a traveller, tinker, gypsy, pikey, etc, use the word casting. Only sambo guys ever mention that word in regard to throwing a punch.

They don't use the word 'casting' but that is how they box. Since when do 'Sambo guys' speak English anyway?

Since they started targeting English speaking countries, and probably before that as well. You seriously think Sambo fighters only speak Russian? Is there some sort of language bar up that they are not allowed to cross?

The punch you're describing just sounds like a sloppy overhand right, and they've been around donkey's years.