Is BJJ safe for older adults

When I was in my 20's I had all the time in the world to lift weights, do cardio and attend BJJ 3 -5x week.Fast forward 20 years. I'm almost a ripe 40. I am married with obligations like work, bills, mortage etc. I don't really have the time to lift weights, join a gym, or do supplemental training, but I still want to take BJJ. The question I ask myself is: IS BJJ safe for us older guys who are limited with time?I notice my desire to workout is a lot less than what it used to be, my desire for a family man's life is a lot greater. yet I find myself missing a hobby which defined my young adulthood.Am I headed in the right direction by thinking in a non competitive (competition) venue I can still do well and enjoy myself with this art? Will I learn enough in class to get fit?How many other 40 years old are in my same boat? Do they all throw in the towel, or have they accepted a more reasonable objective -- to have fun in class while playing a game of chess, and at the same time avoiding injury.I know Roy harris has a dvd out on this exact matter but I bought it let's say , unsatisfying for my thirst.Well any thoughts on this matter greatly appreciated.grappler 2010

Ask Helio.

I'm a couple of months shy from 39, with a lot of non-martial arts related injuries over the years that left me needing several surgeries.  I STILL enjoy training BJJ, and while I don't compete like I used to, it's really the one thing that holds my body together!  You can train light, or you can train hard.  You can train as a hobby, or decide to jump into the "old timers" brackets (usually there IS a 40-50 years old division) if you want to test your skills in competition without taking on the 20-something young studs.

This line pretty much says it all: "to have fun in class while playing a game of chess, and at the same time avoiding injury."

That's what my training is about, these days.

Adam

I think it can be.

Just be observant of who else is rolling when you go to BJJ class, try to roll with people who don't spazz out and avoid complete newbies if you can help it.

Still though, us younger guys get hurt too man, it's part of the game.

My instructor is in his 40s and teaches six or seven days a week. He can also kick all of our asses. He easily kills 25 yr olds who out weigh him by 20-40 pounds.

Im 41 - you can do it. I would rather be sore from doing BJJ, than just being sore from being old.

"I don't really have the time to lift weights, join a gym, or do supplemental training, but I still want to take BJJ"

But you have time for BJJ? 

I am almost 41, box 2x/week, and do BJJ 2x/week.

I have to say that I have had tons of injuries the past couple of years including dislocated ribs (broke them in my 20s), torn knee ligament (not sure what it is yet as I am waiting to go for an MRI), and a pinched nerve in my neck (just happened about a month ago). I can not stop! My wife thinks I am stupid (my kids think I am cool), but I still have to go fight 4 nights a week! I feel that most of the injuries are my own fault, as I tend not to tap out, and thus cause all the little tweaks to my body to happen. I am trying to change this NOT TAPPING OUT HABIT, but it is a hard habit to break.
In boxing, we try to go light, but sooner or later, we start throwing bombs. I could ask the other guy to go lighter, but instead I hit him with a haymaker to make my point. I think it is all ego, and as stated above, I am trying to change.

In other words, if you leave your ego at the door, you will have less injuries. I am trying, but unfortunately my ego follows me onto the mat and into the ring.

As TJMITCH says above "I would rather be sore from BJJ, than just being sore from being old".

I am in the same EXACT boat as you. I am almost 40, haven't trained in almost 5 years (I trained for fun, not to compete), but still want to go back.

Here is my problem. I work 60 hours a week on average, have a wife and two kids, have a bulging disc and so on and so on.

Plus, I FEEL friggin 40 right now because I am so busy with work and family that I don't even work out at all right now.

with my current list of priorities in life, training is at the very bottom of the list unfortunately. I have been nothing more than a fan for the past 5 years.

JUST DO IT

" I feel that most of the injuries are my own fault, as I tend not to tap out, and thus cause all the little tweaks to my body to happen. I am trying to change this NOT TAPPING OUT HABIT"

Translation: Im trying to sound tuff by capitolizing "not tapping out habit",but in the process,Im pretty sure that I`m sounding stupid.    

It all depends on who you roll with.  

I agree with EK, It has everything to do with who you are rolling with. If your training partners roll with caution and respect, chances of injury are very minimal.

As long as you don't feel it's bad for your duties at home or relationship with your family, just do it. Do yoga to counteract the pain you get from rolling. That's what works best for me at 38, and I compete in adult and masters advanced divisions every few months or so (not as often as I'd like because of work and family obligations, and my cardio always sucks).

Dude, Helio is going to be godamn 96 years old on October 1st and he still rolls around. 

You are a baby infant compared to Helio.

I will chime in too that your training partners are the primary factor, as they are the ones who raise or lower your risk of injury. I am very choosy about who I roll with now. I used to roll with anyone, and, as usual, I sustained lots of minor injuries through hard rolling with young athletes. Now, as I am 46, I roll mainly with Egan Inoue and a few of my trusted students. That helps me to stay healthy, continue to improve, and have a lot of fun.

I'm 53 and i train 4 times a week.

I'm lucky i train at a place where everyone cares about each other.

I'm also quick to tap, well, i will fight chokes till the end, but any kind of joint lock and i may bruise a mo fo from tappin, if you get my drift.

I am 42 years old & just got my black belt in judo. I am enjoying class but have been cutting back on competing. If you enjoy it-do it. It will keep you young. When my body doesn't like taking the break falls I will probably switch to BJJ. I can't imagine not doing it. I think everyone's advice on staying away from the spazes & hungry young stud's is a good idea. Work out with some good people & you will always improve your game.

Grappler2010

I'm 41.
I've been rolling for 8, maybe 9, years.
I've never competed in a grappling tournament and have no plans to.
Yes, you can still enjoy training with no eye towards competition and when you aren't in your late teens/early 20s.

Is it safe? Stay away from the lunatics and know what your body can/can't take. Tap early; tap often.

Mark