Is BJJ safe for older adults

BJJ and gay sex have the same injury rates...Coincidence? I think not!!

Do you guys go to a chiropractor?

You will be hurt...

I had this same question when i decided to start training BJJ when I was 30. This past weekend I turned forty and also received my black belt. So, hell yes - start training.

At my gym we have three older gentlemen,

one 43 yrs old, College proffessor with a PHD

one 45 yrs old, who is an MD

one 41 yrs old, who is in a PHD program.

all are very tough and having the times of their life. they are realistic though and train very safely,

Go for it.

ashtanga yoga + occasional Advil > chiropractor

TrainJudo - BJJ and gay sex have the same injury rates...Coincidence? I think not!!

waits on retard to copy and paste the crap about BJJ techniques being rougher than Judo

JRS3

"Do you guys go to a chiropractor?"

I don't.

"Walk as a warrior for all your days"

This quote comes from the Dog Brothers and, at the age of 28, I already find this inspiring!

Dont ever stop training mate!

ODM.

Its going to be very hard to get hack into (of begin) if you are way out of shape at 40.

If you were at a medium level (past the point of beginner spazzing and using strength to make up for lack of technique) then it would go a lot easier on a 40 year old body.

A lot will also depend on individual genetics. Are you closer to Randy Couture or Stephen Hawking :) How was your rate of recovery and injury in your 20s or 30s ? Its only going to get worse of course....

Yeah at my schools theres a few 40+ dudes there and its mixed marital arts not just bjj

I'm 34 with a wife and 2 kids. Been training off and on since 2000 and have had a few nagging injuries over the years, but the worst one happened when I was cleaning my freakin garage. Tweaked my knee and was out of commission for several weeks. My point is you're getting older and you're bound to get hurt doing mundane things in your everyday life so you might as well get hurt doing something you enjoy. Just try and get to class early to warm-up/stretch and that should help minimize the risk.
My $.02

Soup1 - I had this same question when i decided to start training BJJ when I was 30. This past weekend I turned forty and also received my black belt. So, hell yes - start training.

There you go bro. No better answer than that.

Am I headed in the right direction by thinking in a non competitive (competition) venue I can still do well and enjoy myself with this art?

Yes, that's what I do and, I'm 41.

Will I learn enough in class to get fit?

A Doctor once told me that to stay in shape, you needed to do at least 1 hour of sweaty exercise each day. When you aren't in BJJ class, you can do warm up exercises in your back yard, go for brisk walks, etc. I like to do forward rolls, bear crawls, spiderman crawls, etc. The types of movements that mimic grappling. I also started mowing the lawn with a hand mower and, have tried to keep up a steady pace, which makes for a good 90 minute workout on my half acre.

I also have the Roy Harris DVD and, found that I'm in much batter shaope than the people he is addressing, but it's a good place to start.

I'm 21 but work in a hospital (cardiac telemetry). From what I see, you are better off DOING BJJ rather than not. Even if you can't lift and workout outside of BJJ, the sport itself will increase your cardio tremendously and it is all body-weight movements. Like everyone else said, watch out for the 20 year old young bucks, but for the most part, the big reason why all these patients are here is because they sat on their butt, ate junk and never worked out. I KNOW there are exceptions, but for the average american, we can use more exercise!

IMO do it and just know when to sit out, take a round out and once you do it you will feel great as your body gets used to it again.

Local sign at the park where I live: "You grow old because you stop playing. You stop playing because you grow old"

of course you can do bjj at your age. You will probably get crushed by alot of the bigger younger guys but oh well. I don't think it will get you in that good of shape unless you do it 4+ times a week.

35 and in the best shape of my life. I'm busy as hell w/ my work; get in tere and do it, friend. The art helps you in every aspect of life.

51 rolling 6 years,fun

A lot of great advice on here.

I agree that you can train , and one of my best training partners is 44.

I would shop around the gyms and watch how they train and treat their students.

You could also decide that as a beginner you are going to focus more on fundamental drilling and learning than sparring/rolling.

As said before ...try to choose who you will roll with. Stay away from the meatheads and spazs.

----

I have a question about the Roy Harris Over 40 video. I was thinking about buying that , but you said it was not satisfying. Could please tell my why ?

Thanks and good luck !