is conditioning enough???

I was watching a UFC All Access with Tito Ortiz (I'm sure you guys have seen it) and was impressed with how hard Tito works out...I've always heard how much and how hard he trains, but I never knew first hand...

I can't figure out why he can't beat Chuck...Aside from the "big brother" syndrome, is there any other reason why Tito can't beat Chuck?

Do you guys think a poke to the eye as Tito suggests was the reason for the KO last time?

Do you think it could be a lack of game plan?

I'm just curious as to how so much preparation could still allow Tito to fall short of victory against Chuck...

Does anyone know what kind of training Chuck does...? I haven't been able to locate anything of Chuck's training regimen...

He tries to engage with Chuck and understandably so...He trains boxing and kickboxing like crazy...

Maybe he could use an intense muay thai coach...?

"The eyepoke was not why Tito lost. Tito lost because Chuck was better."

I agree with you on that...

It seems like he was coming up with an excuse for why he got KO'd...but I didn't believe that the poke is what did him in...

THE SULTAN!!! Finally I can give YOU some replies, rather than me "using" you for a knowledge fountain.

I've heard (or perhaps read somewhere) that LIDDELL does plyo exercises. for his explosive strength and whatnot.

My Krav Maga instructor tells me that Chuck does the following exercise regularly.

20 pushups, 1 sprawl
1 minute of shadow boxing (and kicks as well)
19 pushups, 2 sprawls,
___ seconds of shadow boxing and kicking
18-3

and so on and so on.

When we are dying towards the end of our circuits, my lead instructor always says "COME ON! Liddell does it up to 20 and he's got a belly!!! Push it!"

(about this fight, I think Tito's gameplan will have more of an impact. I think it's safe to assume that Tito has more stamina and pep, but he's gotta know that the first fight was too much brawn, not enough brain for actually standing up with Chuck. He's gotta realize what's gonna win the fight for him, and do whatever it takes to win. Whatever it takes, Tito. I've got money on you!

^Thanks for the reply Johnny...

I've been trying to find out Chuck's training regimen...

Deep down inside I've always thought that conditioning is great and a necessity for fighting MMA, but I don't think it is enough...

My reasons for starting this thread was that I was curious as to what other people think is missing in the Tito workout that could be hindering him from beating Chuck...

"I'm just curious as to how so much preparation could still allow Tito to fall short of victory against Chuck... " maybe Chuck trains just as hard and is the better fighter.

Chuck is ...

A. Not getting taken down much, and

B. Hits historically hard, much

Regardless of how they match up, the fact is Chuck did not hurt Tito in the last fight until Tito took a thumb to the eye.

Thanks for the response guys...

I asked some rhetorical questions to see what the UG thought about the specific effect "conditioning" can have on a fighter when you are fighting at that caliber...

I was also curious as to what type of training chuck does specifically as I haven't been able to locate any vids of him training...

I just don't think Tito's wrestling ability is good enough to takedown Chuck and keep him there for any length of time.Alot of people disagree with me,but I've always said that Tito's wrestling is rather average,especially when compared to guys like Rashad,Randy,and Babalu.

On the feet it's just a matter of time for Chuck.

ditto with the fact that he can't get taken down. Chuck so far has been able to keep the fight where he wants it, and not where Tito wanted it or his other opponents. Look at randy, Randy had a hard time taking him down and it's randy.

p.s. Chuck hits like a brick wall, tito, not so much.

good thread

Do you guys think a poke to the eye as Tito suggests was the reason for the KO last time?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was the reason Chuck went ballistic and finished him off; but he was going to get KO'ed anyway.  He gave up trying to take Chuck down in the first round (only tried twice, and only ONCE with ANY kind of conviction IIRC).

Samoa.

Chuck works out like a madman too.My little brother ran track for Cal Poly SLO and told me about "some crazy guy that does that UFC shit comes out here everyday doing sprints and punching bags and shit till he vomits.". My brother told me this before the first Jeremy Horn fight.

Why Chuck owns Tito: He just matches up well with him.Tito cant take him down and Chuck is better standing up.Its as simple as that.Even though Tito always SAYS he wants to stand with Chuck,he ALWAYS shoots.When his shot fails, he gives up on it and tries to stand.The whole fight depends on his ability to take Chuck down and keep him there.If he does that he wins the fight.If he cant do that he loses.No matter how hard he trains,the his ability to win the fight depends on this.

yup, anything else...

vids on chuck training?

I just don't think Tito is good enough at any one thing to beat him. His strength is wrestling but he only seems to out-wrestle smaller guys and/or guys with less wrestling experience. His work ethic and size keep him competative but he doesn't have a size or wrestling advantage over Chuck. I think he's going to be a good coach and trainer for along time but I don't see him ever holding a belt again.

Chuck is definitely one of my top favorite fighters...

Tito grew on me later through his coaching ability and his motivational skills...

He seems like he would always be a great coach...

I'd have to agree, though, that I think he'll always have problems with the Iceman...