Is fighting 1-6 guys to build record really Fair ?

I noticed a few fighters building records against guys with terrible records as well as inactive then get offers to fight in shows like WSOF. If this was really fair, hell i would be 10-1.. and these fighters are from reputable camps !!! best in the world even.....I am boggled...

Seen this happen a lot when they train under someone who also happens to be the promoter.

It's the boxing model

If its in the regional circuit then of course it is

I've got a couple on my record that don't look good, but I've fought who was offered. I WISH I had such a beautiful record. They basically tell people to pad now. Phone Post 3.0

Leghound -

It's the boxing model

This Phone Post

I've always said that in a sport where you have a choice of opponents, records don't mean that much.

I fight for a promotion where the owners of the mma gym I train out of are the promoters and my coach is the matchmaker. Despite this, I've never fought anyone in my hometown with a losing records. My opponents have come in w/ records like 5-2, 3-1, etc which is competitive considering my record. Phone Post 3.0

Morally, maybe not. But those higher promotions (wsof,ufc,etc.) Only look at the record, not who you've fought. So I can see why its done. As stated it comes from the boxing model.

but aren't a lot of pros having A LOT of difficulty finding opponents?

I hear of fights falling through all the time when on the regional circuit.

I would understand if a fighter took all it could in those circumstances?

YHTOMIT2001 - I've always said that in a sport where you have a choice of opponents, records don't mean that much.

I fight for a promotion where the owners of the mma gym I train out of are the promoters and my coach is the matchmaker. Despite this, I've never fought anyone in my hometown with a losing records. My opponents have come in w/ records like 5-2, 3-1, etc which is competitive considering my record. Phone Post 3.0
This completely. I've only had one mma fight and it was the other kids debut as well and right after that my coach put me in my first kickboxing match two weeks later with a guy that's record was 25-5. It just comes down to what kind of person your dealing with and sometimes you just gotta fight who is available to fight at the time being. It's either that or sit on the shelf. Phone Post 3.0

I call it Poppies Martinez syndrome.Although he did step up twice (for a title of course)

crowbar -

I call it Poppies Martinez syndrome.Although he did step up twice (for a title of course)

LOL!!! I was talking about Poppies with my friend the other day. My buddy said he used to go watch fights at the Tachi Palace and saw Poppies fight guys that looks straight off the street. I guess he brought fans in the Palace though. Phone Post 3.0

OP you fighting tomorrow? Phone Post 3.0

I stopped calling him on his bullshit,but he went back to his old ways after he fought David Mitchell.

I think there was a TUF audition where Dana said something similar to "Don't complain about guys padding their record. Go out and pad yours." Phone Post

its hard as fuck to get fights, i've done about 10 camps in the past 1.5 years for fights that got cancelled 12 days before all the way up to 5 hours before.  

as long as i'm not fighting guys with a bunch more wins and experience than me i'll fight almost who ever 

If people don't fight 1-6 fighters, then how will the 1-6 fighters be able to make money and compete?

Not everyone can be a 10-0 monster who had only faced top-tier opponents, much l9ve and respect to the guys who clearly aren't winners but still get in there and scrap it up. No hate from this fan if you have some losers on your record

kill joy -

its hard as fuck to get fights, i've done about 10 camps in the past 1.5 years for fights that got cancelled 12 days before all the way up to 5 hours before.  

as long as i'm not fighting guys with a bunch more wins and experience than me i'll fight almost who ever 

This is why I gave up on fighting. I hated training only to have someone pull out or the fight mysteriously get cancelled.

I was doing it for fun and that shit made it not fun. Phone Post 3.0

Nothing wrong with a palooka or two on your record.

Ryan Williams - 
kill joy -

This is why I gave up on fighting. I hated training only to have someone pull out or the fight mysteriously get cancelled.

I was doing it for fun and that shit made it not fun. Phone Post 3.0

You couldn't make up some of the wacky shit we've seen over the years.