Is God loving if He is jealous?

P1: 1 Corinthians 13:4 "Love is not jealous."

P2: 1 John 4:8 "God is love."

C1: God cannot be jealous.

P3: Exodus 20:5 "I, the Lord thy God, am a jealous God."

P4: God cannot be jealous. (From C1.)

C2: Such a God cannot logically exist

It's a weasel word argument (Equivocation). The weasel word is jealous.

Jealous has more than one meaning. Open MS Word and type 'jealous.' Then right click on the word and click synonyms. You will get a list of 8 words that are synonymous with jealous. The list goes like this; envious, green, green-eyed, covetous, resentful, desirous, and protective.

The context of Corinthians is one of a person to a person. In that context jealous is the reflexive failing of a fear that is suspicious, wary, disbelieving and distrustful. So envious, green, green-eyed, covetous, resentful and *especially* invidious would fit. It is wrong to be that way to a person.

The context of Exodus is one of a creature to its Creator. In that context jealous is God rightfully protective for the honor of his name, and responds with terrible wrath against those whose hearts should belong to him but go after other things. So desirous, and protective would fit. It is right for God to be that way.

For man to be loving he *must not be* jealous. For God to be loving He *must be* jealous.

-Tom Bombadil

See what happens when you mix metaphors with reality?

This is what happens when you apply double standards to deal with inconsistencies. It´s not pretty..

It is in no way an inconsistency to say that what is true for the creature is not true for the Creator. A double standard is an ethical or moral code that applies more strictly to one group than to another equal group. If I were to say that it is ok for me to be jealous but it is not ok for you, a man equal to me in every sense under God, to be jealous; that would be a double standard.

But for God to be jealous is not the same as it is for man to be so. For man to command all allegiance would be to the benefit of that man more so than for any other man, but that is not so for God!

What is the most loving thing God could give us to enjoy? There is only one possible answer. Himself. Nothing created is greater that its creator. No matter how beautiful man is, or how splendid this world is, or how amazing this universe might be, God is more so. If God would give us what is the best and most satisfying of things, if He were to love us perfectly, He must offer us no less than Himself to have fellowship with. As Psalm 16:11b says: "[I]n your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore."

God has no need of our allegiance. It is us that have need of Him.

Allow me a quote from C. S. Lewis:

"But the most obvious fact about praise - whether of God or any thing - strangely escaped me. I thought of it in terms of compliment, approval, or the giving of honor. I had never noticed that all enjoyment spontaneously overflows into praise [...] The world rings with praise - lovers praising their mistresses, readers their favorite poet, walkers praising the countryside, players praising their favorite game - praise of weather, wines, dishes, actors, motors, horses, colleges, countries, historical personages, children, flowers, mountains, rare stamps, rare beetles, even sometimes politicians or scholars. I had not noticed how the humblest, and at the same time most balanced and capacious, minds, praised most, while the cranks, misfits and malcontents praised least [...]

I had not noticed either that just as men spontaneously praise what ever they value, so they spontaneously urge us to join them in praising it: 'Isn't she lovely? Wasn't it glorious? Don't you think that magnificent?' The Psalmists in telling everyone to praise God are doing what all men do when they speak of what they care about. My whole, more general, difficulty about the praise of God depended on my absurdly denying to us, as regards the supremely Valuable, what we delight to do, what indeed we can't help doing, about everything else we value.

It is love because the only eternal happiness for man is happiness focused on the riches of God's glory. 'In your presence there is fullness of joy; in your right hand are pleasures forever more' (Psalm 16:1 1). God's self-exaltation is loving, because it preserves for us and offers to us the only all-satisfying Object of desire in the universe – the all-glorious, all-righteous God.

I think we delight to praise what we enjoy because the praise not merely expresses but completes the enjoyment; it is its appointed consummation. It is not out of compliment that lovers keep on telling one another how beautiful they are; the delight is incomplete till it is expressed."

-Tom Bombadil

Anybody have the Hebrew to English Translation bible software??

Because there are sometimes words that could be the same in English but mean a different thing in Hebrew/roman.

Just like the word Love. You got Agape, Eros, umm. Can't remember the rest.