Is "Honor" important in MMA?

TMAs heavily incorporate honor, and growing up, athletic competitions ingrain it in young people by having competitors abide by rules, and - win or lose - show some type of respect towards one another.

Honor is a part of life. We teach our kids to be respectful to others, and act in ways that will earn respect from others as well. Honor is incorporated in our work lives to varying degrees, probably more prominently demonstrated in the military and public safety. We all have our own standards.

Do you care if one fighter MFs anther, refuses to shake hands at weigh-ins, fights dirty, is generally disrespectful, or, as we saw recently, runs out of the arena?

Would you want your kids to emulate that kind of behavior or is it not that big a deal to you?

Is honor important to in MMA?

I say it's very, very important and what separates a true mixed martial artist from a mixed martial arts fighter.

At the same time, I generally use the terms interchangeably, but there is a big, big difference.

Just because you don't have honor doesnt mean that you arent a martial artist is just means that you are probably an asshole.

Or a ninja.

Jahmal -  Just because you don't have honor doesnt mean that you arent a martial artist is just means that you are probably an asshole.

Uhhh, I agree with the asshole part, but part of being a martial artist is living a positive existence in all ways, of which being an asshole isn't part of.

It's like the difference between Peyton Manning and T.O. Both excel at football, but one is to be looked up to, the other should be used as an example of what not to act like on and off the field, personality-wise...

No, being a martial artist means to be trained and skilled in the art of fighting.  You do not have to have budo or honor to be a martial artist.

Sorry to inform you that not all martial artist are great people and that fact does not make them any less skilled in the martial arts.

TMA has far less honor than MMA.  Trust me on this.  Go to any TMA competition and you will see some of the worst sportsmanship and biggest scumbags on the planet.  Don't mythologize TMA and villainize MMA based on some perception of what a martial artist should be.

Guys, the TMA reference was just an example. The main focus lies with how some fighters in MMA carry themselves. Again, we all know examples, and a recent one was Forest running out of the arena. The question was - is honor important (to you) in MMA?

koreviewz -  TMA has far less honor than MMA.  Trust me on this.  Go to any TMA competition and you will see some of the worst sportsmanship and biggest scumbags on the planet.  Don't mythologize TMA and villainize MMA based on some perception of what a martial artist should be.

There's a lot of ritualistic respect that goes on in TMA schools. Self-control and self-discipline, respect ("Bow to your sensei!), and hierarchy (belt system) are routinely enforced.

No doubt there are real-life examples to the contrary, though.

Even Anderson Silva tried to help Forrest up after he knocked him down.

Not important to me, I follow fighters because of how they fight, not what kind of people they are. They arent going to be my friends or anything. Heck I love cro cop but the guy punched barnett a few times way after he tapped lol.

Jahmal -  No, being a martial artist means to be trained and skilled in the art of fighting.  You do not have to have budo or honor to be a martial artist.

Sorry to inform you that not all martial artist are great people and that fact does not make them any less skilled in the martial arts.

In some sense you are right, but if you take two people with equal fighting ability and one has honor and respect and the other doesn't and you had to label one as being more of a martial artist than the other, which would you pick?

Which would Dave Camarillo pick? Anderson Silva? Bruce Lee (if you wanna go that direction with the argument)? Other authorities on the martial arts or mixed martial arts?

I'm saying that to be a COMPLETE martial artist, you have to have honor, at least in my opinion. Otherwise you're just a fighter.

IP - 
koreviewz -  TMA has far less honor than MMA.  Trust me on this.  Go to any TMA competition and you will see some of the worst sportsmanship and biggest scumbags on the planet.  Don't mythologize TMA and villainize MMA based on some perception of what a martial artist should be.

There's a lot of ritualistic respect that goes on in TMA schools. Self-control and self-discipline, respect ("Bow to your sensei!), and hierarchy (belt system) are routinely enforced.

No doubt there are real-life examples to the contrary, though.

Yeah.  TMA tought me respect and restraint.  But I think that MMA fighters on the whole, show great respect.  I think even TOO much at times.  I think there is a misconception that TMA is like Mr. Miyagi and MMA is like a bar room brawl.  I hate those stereotypes because TMA competitors in my opinion are on the whole less sportsmanlike and honorable than MMA fighters.

Absent the discipline and self control I believe should be inherent to martial arts...a majority of today's MMA competitors are more "mixed style" fighters than they are martial artists.

I don't consider boxers to be martial artists.
Fighter? Yes.
Athlete. Yes.
Martial artist? Not IMO.

I don't even consider golfers "athletes".

I think most have a certain honor with training and respect

A lot talk smack for purposes of marketing, but again, I think most have a certain respect and honor

Or course, there are always the idiots, but there are those in every profession and hobby

But usually when you have someone that attains a HIGH professional level at something, there is also honor and respect there

No Honour in cheaters... ahem GSP...Margarito...

figure four - No Honour in cheaters... ahem GSP...Margarito...

LOL!

YOOS IS A MASHAL ARTEST IF YOOS WARES PAJAMAS TO TRANE!!!!!

It is important to many martial artists, but it is not a requirement to be one. It's in the eye of the beholder.

americans need to learn how to lose. its part of the game. these tantrums are not mature. A real fighter must adopt the japanese philosophy of respecting your opponent and in turn accepting the loss with dignity. Americans trane the martial arts but never quite get the whole picture.