Is immortality possible?

I believe in the not so distant future I've seen it in my thoughts and in my dreams, the day will come when all of your memory,personality, and everything that is the essence of you will be available to be downloaded on a memory card and plugged into a new flesh body or a combination of bone and machine.

If any body organ is faulty or damaged it will be replaced by a mechanical one. It is already happening to some degree with joint replacements and artificial heart valves.

But how much of an actual person will be lost in the process of having a new mechanical body? Will we eventually drive the soul out of man? Phone Post 3.0

Prob

I don't think there's enough demand. Most of my friends & relatives that made it to ~80 made it very clear to me that they were ready to go.

That'a not immortality though. If you replace more than 50% of your body with mechanical parts, your no longer human. Not to mention, even with robotics they still degrade over time. Might not be for a 1000 years but there is no way to create a real immortal.

"Immortal" jellyfish exist. Scientists could possible use them as a basis for future research on immortality. I'm sure there are plenty of extremely wealthy people out there willing to fund this to extend or prolong their own lives. Phone Post 3.0

No one lives forever, no one. But with the advances in modern science and your high level of income, it's not crazy to think that you could be 245, 300. Phone Post 3.0

zetti -

There are some who theorize that when man reachs his highest point in evolution that he will become pure energy, and that pure energy doesn't die, but continues on in one form or another.

What is "pure energy" exactly? I never understood this concept. Phone Post 3.0

RGS87GN - No one lives forever, no one. But with the advances in modern science and your high level of income, it's not crazy to think that you could be 245, 300. Phone Post 3.0
It's more probable that humans will become cyborgs with major organs being replaced by machinery thus prolonging life or some kind of "matrix" is developed where people's minds can "live" forever in cyber space. Phone Post 3.0

StevetheWeasel - 
BarkLikeADog - I don't think there's enough demand. Most of my friends & relatives that made it to ~80 made it very clear to me that they were ready to go.

God, that's depressing.

I can't imagine ever getting tired of being alive.

I will happily live forever, given the option.

Your penis stops working.

Your hearing and sight go.

Your mental acuity fades.

You're old and gross. Even if you could get it up- never mind finish- no one wants to touch you.

Everyone you've ever known and loved is gone. It's just you. Still want more?

How about the inability to feel pleasure. Everything hurts and the only people that care are paid to.

You also cannot earn money. You're too old. No nice things for you. Just people wondering when you're going to finally die.

And if you could afford a prostitute with bad enough eyesight and no sense of smell, she reminds you of a great-grand daughter.

RGS87GN - No one lives forever, no one. But with the advances in modern science and your high level of income, it's not crazy to think that you could be 245, 300. Phone Post 3.0
Heck, I just read in the newspaper that they put a pig heart in some guy from Russia. Do you know what that means? Phone Post 3.0

Scientists have created an electronic device that fits over your heart to keep it beating forever.That combined with telomere reverse aging might be the answer.

zetti -

There are some who theorize that when man reachs his highest point in evolution that he will become pure energy, and that pure energy doesn't die, but continues on in one form or another.

Man is already made of pure energy just like everything in the universe is. That energy is constantly being recycled and turned into new forms of matter.

The immortality that we seek already exists for these physical bodies, but we want that which experiences to become immortal and that's not going to happen. Phone Post 3.0

"God, that's depressing."

I don't think so. I guess I did when I first became the guy they wanted to tell. I see it as healthy now. I really love Saints Row 4 but at some point I want to put the controller down.

I can't imagine ever getting tired of being alive. "

You say that now.

BarkLikeADog - I don't think there's enough demand. Most of my friends & relatives that made it to ~80 made it very clear to me that they were ready to go.
There would be.plenty of demand if they could keep people fully functional while they were immortal. Phone Post 3.0

BarkLikeADog - I don't think there's enough demand. Most of my friends & relatives that made it to ~80 made it very clear to me that they were ready to go.

Life doesn't really give you a choice, and it's something you spend your whole life gradually accepting.

Then you factor in that your body wears down, your mind is no longer as sharp and you can no longer do 90% of the things you once enjoyed.

I'm sure people would want to live longer if their body remained say 30 or 40.

David@accu - 

That'a not immortality though. If you replace more than 50% of your body with mechanical parts, your no longer human. Not to mention, even with robotics they still degrade over time. Might not be for a 1000 years but there is no way to create a real immortal.

Not unless you take his head, and with it, his power.

"factor in that your body wears down, your mind is no longer as sharp and you can no longer do 90% of the things you once enjoyed."

Out of the personal anecdotes I have to go by, none of them had anything at all to do with physical or mental capacity. Mostly it was "I've done everything I want to, & I'll never stop missing so-&-so."

I had one 92 year old relative who was active every day, mostly doing charity work; she probably could have gone on forever if a drunk driver hadn't taken her out. Everybody else, they just have a seat & think nostalgically for X decades until they can't stand it anymore. It's not that they can't keep living life; they just don't. I think we're hired wired to check out mentally eventually without regard to our physical health.

Statistically, if it were all about not being able to do the shit you like anymore, we should be seeing a decline in elderly suicide rates as the radio, television & videogame generations enter the final leg of the race, but we're not.

There was an excellent documentary in the 80's about a police officer that was killed in the line of duty and was brought back to life with cybernetic technology. Phone Post 3.0

^Just one?