Is it insurance fraud to take money and...

Is it insurance fraud for someone to take the money from their insurance company given for body work repairs, not get them done, and just keep the money? Phone Post 3.0

nope, it's your money do with it as you wish.

No, you don't have to repair the car, you can just take the money.

not fraud but I would suggest doing some sort of repair,in case another accident happens and you cannot prove that you repaired the car the first time, you may run into an issue where they give you zero money on the next accident.

I think I'm going to use the money to buy another car then! Thanks! Phone Post 3.0

If there is a bank loan on the vehicle you have to pay to fix the vehicle I believe. Phone Post 3.0

No... You are entitled to be made whole by receiving payment. Double dipping is insurance fraud... Meaning collecting twice. Also.. If it leads to further damage that issue would no be covered since you did not take the necessary precautions to prevent further incident. Just keep that in mind. Also... I was a claims adjuster for over 3 years Phone Post 3.0

Nah bro.  You're good.  Your choice.  I had a car that was in 3 accidents.  None were my fault.  Never got any of that shit fixed.  LOL.  Just banged it back in place with a sledge hammer.  Cut off the loose shit.  Frame was fine - fuck it.  I didn't care how "cool" my car was.  But I've always loved cash..  Haha.

I've always had the insurance company make the check out to me. I cash it then go to another repair shop and offer them cash to fix it. Usually a lot cheaper then the first estimate and I get to pocket some cash. No it is not illegal. Phone Post 3.0

baj54 - I've always had the insurance company make the check out to me. I cash it then go to another repair shop and offer them cash to fix it. Usually a lot cheaper then the first estimate and I get to pocket some cash. No it is not illegal. Phone Post 3.0
Right they do that if their is not a bank lien right? My step own a few garages and whenever the owner has a loan through the bank the insurance company makes the check out directly to the shop or to the bank and the bank cuts the check. Phone Post 3.0

• there^ Phone Post 3.0

If there is a bank lien on the car typically they will be on the check.

Also.. The further damage is in reference to if you have a dent with rust then get read ended they can argue it was pretty existing and deduct money from the repairs you need for the new accident. Phone Post 3.0

Thatswhatshesaid_ - If there is a bank lien on the car typically they will be on the check.

Also.. The further damage is in reference to if you have a dent with rust then get read ended they can argue it was pretty existing and deduct money from the repairs you need for the new accident. Phone Post 3.0

pretty existing = pre-existing Phone Post

I'm a claims adjuster and basically what everybody said above is correct.

I own the car outright so no bank involved.

The car was hit by a deer and while I was making plans to have the body work done the cam shaft adjuster got fucked up and it's just not worth it to try to fix the engine IMO.

That deer made my junk car into a 2500 trade in value! Thanks Obama!

Do I just tell the insurance company, "hey, I changed my mind, please make the check out to me now?" Phone Post 3.0

Just tell them you would like to take a payout. They will lower your payment by your deductible and cut you a check.

Source, have done this on the 4 vehicles j have had damage on in my life (3 were hail damage) Phone Post 3.0

Alco Hauler -
Thatswhatshesaid_ - If there is a bank lien on the car typically they will be on the check.

pretty existing = pre-existing Phone Post

Lol. I was tired. I mind as well wild each it Phone Post 3.0