Is John Kavanagh a good coach?

He won the 2017 coach of the year at the MMA awards and gets a lot of media attention and press time. However, he only really has two notable fighters in Conor and Gunner. None of which are particularly well rounded. Can’t help but think that he just got lucky with McGregor.

Whats your thoughts on him?

He is a solid coach who built UFC level fighters from the ground up and raised the level of MMA and BJJ in Ireland.

When Conor first started reaching superstar status, he got hyped as being ‘next level’ in a way that was never accurate.

He runs a solid camp and has produced good fighters.

wiggum - He is a solid coach who built UFC level fighters from the ground up and raised the level of MMA and BJJ in Ireland.

When Conor first started reaching superstar status, he got hyped as being ‘next level’ in a way that was never accurate.

John is an excellent coach. He’s had countless pros pre-TUF.

He started from scratch. Nothing in Ireland. No playbook no local mentors. Even promoted his own shows.

He created his own way. Very intelligent. More than just a BJJ coach.

Best grappler I’ve ever rolled with to date.

Anyone who gets a sleeve tattooed at the same age would normally be ran out of this place.

nowaydo - 
wiggum - He is a solid coach who built UFC level fighters from the ground up and raised the level of MMA and BJJ in Ireland.

He started from scratch. Nothing in Ireland. No playbook no local mentors. Even promoted his own shows.

I hope my word choice was interpreted correctly.

By ‘solid’ I meant solid for world class coaches. He is rightfully seen as one of the better coaches around.

But he was not and is not levels above the Matt Humes and Trevor Whittmans of the world.

He’s definitely raised the bar in Ireland. Even guys that don’t train at SBG are better than a lot of the UK mainland fighters. They’re smashing the amateur scene in the UK.

wiggum - 
nowaydo - 

By ‘solid’ I meant solid for world class coaches. He is rightfully seen as one of the better coaches around.

But he was not and is not levels above the Matt Humes and Trevor Whittmans of the world.

We really don’t know what he could have done with the access to the athletes and resources guys like Trever, G. Jackson, Zahabi and Matt have in the states. But I have a good idea.

nowaydo -
wiggum - 
nowaydo - 

We really don’t know what he could have done with the access to the athletes and resources guys like Trever, G. Jackson, Zahabi and Matt have in the states. But I have a good idea.

So if he was here in the US he would have a stable of current and former champions is what you’re saying?

How did he win coach of the year for 2017? Nelsons coming off a knockout loss, conor didnt fight mma just lost a boxing match, artem lost, etc.

Not trying to be a dick but what am i missing here?

good mma coach,

thinks he understands boxing a lot better then he actually does

fade2007 -

How did he win coach of the year for 2017? Nelsons coming off a knockout loss, conor didnt fight mma just lost a boxing match, artem lost, etc.

Not trying to be a dick but what am i missing here?

This was my thoughts
boxingman - good mma coach,

thinks he understands boxing a lot better then he actually does

And conditioning.

What other fighters from his camp have been successful? What would he have been had Conor not walked through his doors?

Sir Psycho Sexy - What other fighters from his camp have been successful? What would he have been had Conor not walked through his doors?

Lots of international success outside the US.

PeterIrl - 
Sir Psycho Sexy - What other fighters from his camp have been successful? What would he have been had Conor not walked through his doors?

Lots of international success outside the US.