Is Jones fight really that big?

I keep hearing the narrative that Jones vs the champ is such a big fight. I don’t see it honestly. Yes it’s a interesting fight but I don’t understand the idea that this will break every record.

Do you think this is truly a mega fight?

2 Likes

I think the most dominate LHW in UFC history challenging for the HW title is a pretty big fight. Is it the biggest selling PPV of all-time? I don’t think so.

5 Likes

I think it is bigger than his other fights because people believe Francis can win and lots want to see him lose.

I dont actually know any Jones fans in real life.

I would bet it does like 700k buys.

1 Like

I agree.

The hyperbole around this is insane.

A relatively new guy who either KOs people fast or loses fighting against shitty person, constant drug cheat who has been fading over the years and arguably losing fights.

Ali-Frazier this is not.

Doesn’t mean it wouldn’t be entertaining to see, just eons always from the biggest fight of all time.

2 Likes

Yeah this ain’t the huge fight Jones thinks it is

3 Likes

It’s as big as the UFC wants it to be.

1 Like

i’ve been saying this since he said 10M isnt enough to fight Francis. Its a huge fight from a historical perspective, but from a money generating perspective, Jones just doesnt draw as big as he thinks he does. Has never hit 1M buys, ever. If he feels like its a huge seller, he should have no problem betting on himself like Conor does and get paid off PPVs…but instead he wants a ridiculous amount guaranteed because he doesnt really believe people will pay to see him fight

1 Like

Why is this so huge historically?

Why any bigger than DC winning both?

Historically Ngannou is nothing right now. Brand new champ. Jones is past his best days.

1 Like

Will do 1m to 1.2m buys. Maybe more if they stack the card…

probly 700-800k max

1 Like

This. Big fight, but prob not mystic Mac #s.

More significant than any Conor fight.

Because the greatest fighter of all time is going up a weight class to fight for the title against a scary fucker straight out of a comic book.

2 Likes

Disagree. JJ vs whoever is HW Champ is the biggest fight period.

UFC shills like Rogan and Cormier are telling us that Ngannou is going to be the biggest thing ever, yet neither of his fights against Stipe for the HW championship drew. Jones is a decent enough draw, but if his fights with Cormier, which were grudge matches couldn’t hit a million no way is a with Ngannou going to.

To each their own I guess.

It’s fun for sure, but Ngannou is nobody. He might be great one day, but not now.

In the decades I’ve been watching this sport, scary fuckers out of a comic book have come around a million times over. He needs to do more over time to be anything more than the latest muscular scary KO machine with a couple of very lacklustre losses.

I only watch Jones 'cause i want to see him get KTFO’d.

1 Like

1 Like

So getting kneed in the balls by a massive muscular dude isn’t scary to you?

Sorry for the FRAT…

The fight would be very big, yes. Jones has had several PPV buys between 700-900K, and did 600K with Anthony Smith. Think about that for a minute…Stipe vs DC 1 did less than 400K buys, and Jon did 600K with Anthony Smith. It’s not going to smash PPV records and do 2.5 million buys or anything like that, but 700K is HUGE, and I think this does over 1M for sure. Outside of Conor, Ronda and Brock, here’s the UFC PPV’s that did 1M or more buys.

Masvidal vs Usman 1.3M
UFC 92 Griffin vs Rashad along with several other great fights
UFC 114 (evans vs Rampage after the TUF season) 1M
UFC 168 Weidman vs Silva 2 1M

In their entire history, they have 4 events total that did 1M or more buys that didn’t include Conor, Ronda or Brock. Diaz vs Masvial was said to be huge also, along with Poirier vs Khabib, but no numbers were reported that I can find. I may be missing 1 or 2 that were big but didn’t report numbers, but the totals above were the ones that were reported.

So GSP never headlined a show that sold more than 1M buys, Anderson Silva headlined 1 that did, and it was after he lost the first time. 1M buys is FUCKING MASSIVE for the UFC, and 700K buys is still a huge event for them, often their 2nd or 3rd best event of the entire year, and that’s if you get a Conor fight mixed in there.

So it really depends on your argument. I think it would do somewhere in the range of 1.2-1.5M buys. It would be the lead story on sportscenter, would get a huge media push, and I have no doubt it would break 1M buys. Even if it didn’t and was just slightly bigger than Jon’s other fights and did 850K buys, that’s a fucking huge show for the UFC that they make an absolute killing on. Part of the problem here is that people think when someone says the fight will be huge, they go right to “will be break the 2.4M that Khabib vs Conor did?” And if not, it’s not THAT big of a deal…but if the fucking fight does 1M, it’s bigger than any PPV GSP ever headlined, and he was universally viewed as a huge star for the UFC…because a shit PPV sells less than 300K buys, so 700-900K is still a fucking massive event.

I think that’s what Jon’s problem is. His PPV against Rashad sold 700K buys, and he said he was paid less than $2M for the fight. (he might have said 2M, but I’m 90% sure he said less than 2M). Then he sees what guys like Khabib made to fight Gaethje (I’ve seen 10M reported, and one website had 5M…but either way, it’s a big pile of $) on a PPV that sold like 660K buys, and he’s like “I’ve been getting fucked for a decade” because he’s won more big fights, sold many more PPV’s outside of the huge night Khabib had with Conor, and he’s not getting paid like some of these other guys.

He’s pulling the same numbers against Anthony Smith that Khabib did with Gaethje, and it’s looking like he’s making less $. Jon says he’s making about 5M now, but was making less than 2M for winning title fights for much of his run. The Rashad fight was Jon’s 4th title fight. Gaethje was Khabib’s 4th. People act like Jon isn’t a “star” for the UFC, but having several PPV’s topping 700K buys puts him in that top tier of stars, just under Conor, Rhonda and Brock. Fucking guy has headlined 15 PPV’s with several being over 700K buys…given how long he’s done it, and how short the careers of Brock and Ronda were (Ronda only headlined like 6 PPVs) Jon is likely 3rd in terms of total career buys behind Conor and GSP, and he’s talked about by guys like Dana as a guy that “makes plenty of money when you consider what he actually sells.”

Think about that for a minute…you have Dana chasing Khabib around the globe begging him to fight when his last fight did 660K buys, and Jon has done bigger events than that several times and said Dana has never even taken him out for a fucking steak and a whiskey to talk business. Jon has been a big and consistent performer for the UFC, in the cage and outside of it, and he wants that star treatment for once.

1 Like