Is judo really effective/important

Like in the whole scheme of things... will learning judo be effective/important in the making of a nhb fighter? I ask you guys cause everywhere else on this forum its the whole bjj bandwagon. I thought judo players would have more insight.Im looking to compete mma down the road, if i don't do that im looking for effective self defence techniques.

Judo wasn't even a option till i realized i couldn't do wrestling cause of my work schedule so i thought id take up judo till march (when my work is done) but im kind of liking it now.

Is judo just as important as wrestlig (if i continue it after march itll be instead of wrestling, there on the same days). But id still try and incorporate some bjj or sambo along with it of course.

p.s im not trolling if anyone says i am!

Thanks,
Jason

I think that Judo is very importand in MMA. You just have to train without the gi though.

I used to be a straight up judo guy but have now made the transition to gi-less grappling without a whole bunch of trouble.

It will give you some trouble switching to and from gi but it is better to go from gi to no gi than vice versa.

I think you have some fair questions. Let's tackle MMA first.

If you are training for MMA, have limited time available due to other commitments, and are looking to start an MMA career in a short period of time, I don't think judo is your best choice.

The biggest advantage of judo over other grappling arts is the sophistication of the high amplitude throws. However, that advantage is somewhat nullified in MMA, partially because of the environment and partially because of the rules.

MMA is conducted on a surface that allows a competitor to absorb the impact of high amplitude throws. If MMA was fought on a hard surface, throws would be much more important as the impact of the throws would be far more effective. The difference in effect of throwing a person on a mat vs a hard surface like a floor or concrete, does not need further explanation.

Secondly, the MMA contestant has the option of avoiding throws by falling to the ground in a defense position or by pulling guard. This decreases the value of throwing for position. Judo throws are beneficial for those fighting against a fighter who likes to fight from a clinch. Example, Yoshida threw Silva a few times because they fought from the clinch. Yet, he didn't throw Royce because Royce was looking for an opportunity to fall to the ground and avoided clinching with Yoshida.

Lastly, judo is pretty difficult to learn and hard to get good at in a short period of time. If you were going to learn judo for MMA, I would stick with a couple basic throws like o-soto-gari, koshi guruma, o-uchi-gari.

Regarding self defense, yeah I think its good to learn, but the caveat again is you have to put the TIME into it. Judo gives you great balance, so its easier to stay on your feet. Also, throwing a guy on concrete or a hard surface will have an impact on the tone of the confrontation. Lastly, even if forced to the ground you will most likely be much better there than your assailant.

Good luck.

Unfortunately an orthodoxy has developed about what is "required" to compete in MMA.

MMA is a fairly good reflection of real fighting, insofar as it demonstrates the need for standing, clinch, and ground training against all kinds of resistance.

However, mma is predominantly done No-gi these days. Just as there is prominent discussion of the need to engage in BJJ groundwork both with AND without the gi, control of the clinch range, including takedowns, strikes and defenses, needs to be practiced with AND without the gi. Judo, Sambo, and Shuai Jiao come to mind as the best places to learn how to control the range, with takedowns and defenses, while wearing a jacket. Greco is a great thing to learn for clinch without the jacket (and freestyle for leg takedowns). And try adding striking with a gi, it's fun!

~TT

Before you practise judo without a gi, you should learn it first (with a gi).
Like BJJ, you learn all the intricasies of position and grips from a gi. That way when you transition to no-gi, you are aware of how the movements should feel and are executed.

If your goal is MMA, and want judo to apply, learn judo, then randori HARD without regard to the throw or pin ippon (meaning if you are thrown, keep fighting, if you are pinned, keep fighting), you WILL be a good fighter.

Quincy,

You and I both know you don't just 'learn judo'. To even have a good base I'd recommend 2 - 3 years in it.

I think for a good MMA fighter, Judo/Boxing would be a very effective combination.

I've never taken boxing, but I'd assume it would take less time in it to have a good base. Straight, linear movements can't be that hard. Hard on the hands/arms yes, but not hard to learn.

times not really an issue. Im goin to university in sept and most of the ones i applied to have judo so i could continue my stuides there. Im more worried about if i should put MY time into learnin it.

Is judo just as important as wrestling (if i continue it after march itll be instead of wrestling, there on the same days). But id still try and incorporate some bjj or sambo along with it of course.

You didn't quite read the answers did you? The usual opinion would be: No, you need thai for the standup, wrestling for the clinch and bjj for the ground, parroted endlessly by folks who never train. If thats what you want then go for it. Its most important to do something you like doing. Thats mostly why people do what they do.

If MMA is your ultimate goal, Judo is not important...MMA training is important.

That's not to say that Judo can't help. But it certainly wouldn't be the most efficient use of your time.

However, Judo is tons of fun.

Judo isn't something you will "learn" in a short period of time,if by learning you mean be proficient at it and be able to apply it well in MMA. This will depend of course on your present background and innate abilities, as well as the abilities of the coach you end up with.

If you want to be a professional MMA fighter, the you'ed probably better off going to a school that specializes in training for MMA. It would be easier (and probably cheaper) than doing Judo, Muy Thai/Boxing, wrestling and BJJ.

Ben R.

There's people that have done judo before there was MMA so they went to MMA comps with mostly judo and IMHO were/are doing ok.
These days however everybody crosstrains. It would be unwise to go to a MMA comp with pure judo.
But then, what do I know...

Tomas

Im not sayin i want to beocme a pro mma fighter. Its liek hockey a sport you do on your free time, you do it for fun and stuff. IM not concerned with going pro unless i for some freak reason am extremly good at it. Thats why i asked if judo would still be good for self defence and worth spending time doing.

chance - i think YOU DIDNT read the replys. Mrjingles just wrote judo and boxing is a good combo. So don't type things so quickly and not read things yourself!

You guys need to understand that sport judo and mma are two different animals..Sport judo takes forever to get good at, fighting dosnt!! You learn the basics and randori hard, day after day..That is all..To over complicate it, does exactly that..

I stick with my post above.

I think one would be wise to drill the leg trips and such (Ouchi gari, o soto gari,kosoto gari,double leg).

Quick question: I see a lot in MMA and wrestling where one of the combatints will do a Kosoto gari, but don't sweep, they more or less hook the leg. Is that still considered a Kosoto gari

Theres a couple mma schools around me but id be training every single day and sometimes 2 classes a day just to get muay thai, bjj and wrestling exp. Im not interested in doing that just yet. Id like to get a base in a grappling art then when im in university get more serious. Thats why i mentioned mma cause it might be a goal down the road kind of thing, you know keepin options open and stuff. Lets forget this whole mma thing then. Im not goin to fight for pride or ufc anytime soon. Besides mma, i was concerned with its effectiveness in a street fight or if itd help for when i become a police officer.

I just found out i will be able to also train wrestling 2 x a week along with the judo. If that helps with anyones suggestions, also bjj once if i chose to do it.

sorry for all the questions lol... just want to make good use of my time. Lifes to short to make wrong decisions

MitsuyoMaeda has a very interesting take on the situation. I equated the frustration at becoming a good competitor in judo to equalling the frustration of learning judo for the benefit of MMA. Not necessarily true, and food for thought.

Good post.

I love competitive judo, even though I suck at it... But honestly, it's a lot like a game of chicken. Most Judo matches end quickly and brutally, one tiny slip, one mental mistake and the match is over.

Your tactics and gamesmanship all can take place in a heartbeat or a breath.