Is McGregor prepared for someone like Mendes?

Serious question, no ill intent. I realize he has an immense height and reach advantage in this fight, but is anyone besides me still waiting to see McGregor defeat a wrestler before we annoint him the next big thing?

I think he will have to much time to KO mendes even if he gets taken down Phone Post

I'm not trying to compare the two because Conor has not yet become a UFC champion, but Mendes had nothing for Aldo. Absolutely nothing. Though this is hypothetical, I'm willing to bet that Conors pure grappling ability is better than Aldos.

I don't see chad winning that fight under any circumstance.

I just want to believe the hype of McGregor because he's the most exciting young talent in years, but so far we haven't seen that suffocating wrestler matched against him (probably intentionally) and seen how McGregor would respond. I'd feel much better if he fought Mendes, maybe gotten taken down, scrambled back to his feet and KO'd him, at least then I could say alright, this guy can beat any style and is on his way to true superstar status. For now, it seems that while he has beaten a couple quality opponents, they sort of fall into his wheel house.

Barrington Levy - I'm not trying to compare the two because Conor has not yet become a UFC champion, but Mendes had nothing for Aldo. Absolutely nothing. Though this is hypothetical, I'm willing to bet that Conors pure grappling ability is better than Aldos.

That's not true. Mendes was doing fine. Aldo grabbing the fence to stop the takedown is what turned everything around for him. And a hella knee. Phone Post 3.0

FadeToBlack - Serious question, no ill intent. I realize he has an immense height and reach advantage in this fight, but is anyone besides me still waiting to see McGregor defeat a wrestler before we annoint him the next big thing?

They will all try, and one by one they will all fall. McGregors collection of heads will grow along with his legend.

BeatonHauff - I think Mendes has too many tools to shut him down, but its not crazy to imagine Chad getting caught though. I think Bermudez would be a solid fight.

That would be a great fight. I think the UFC really, really fucked up with this division. Bermudez should be fighting Mendes right now and Cub should be fighting Aldo, with Conor next in line. Instead we have this complete mess where Conor is next in line, but he's going to be skipping ahead of Bermudez and Swanson / Edgar.

blakemp -
BeatonHauff - I think Mendes has too many tools to shut him down, but its not crazy to imagine Chad getting caught though. I think Bermudez would be a solid fight.

That would be a great fight. I think the UFC really, really fucked up with this division. Bermudez should be fighting Mendes right now and Cub should be fighting Aldo, with Conor next in line. Instead we have this complete mess where Conor is next in line, but he's going to be skipping ahead of Bermudez and Swanson / Edgar.
We'll see how it plays out. If Chad or Aldo gets injured Connor with definitely get the shot in that circumstance. Connor brilliantly positioned himself as the understudy.

Sans a situation like that, I can't seem him jumping in line over the Frankie / Cub fight.

Oh and I think Connor beats Chad. Chad needs to get inside to win and Connor has a great use of distance and lightening quick sprawl. Did you notice how Connor had the reach difference between him and Chad memorized? He's already broken down how to him this fight in his head. Connor's mental game is up there is Anderson Silva's. Phone Post 3.0

BeatonHauff - I wonder where TKZ fits in the picture, that would also be a great fight.

TKZ would be dealt with like a $25 a day extra on the Walking dead.

The benefit that Mendes has is the coaching of Ludwig. Conor is a masterful display of water like movement and power. Duane breaks down strikers as well, if not better than any coach in the world, so that will be a great fight.
The 145 division is going to ridiculously exciting for the next couple of years. Phone Post 3.0

Conor is ready for anyone at 145 Phone Post 3.0

I think chad might be too basic. Muscle wrestling basic boxing gets the job done against 90% of the field but McGregor accounts for the remaining 10% Phone Post 3.0

McGregor pulls it off. I think he would use his reach effectively and KOs Mendes.

Who does he train with that has good wrestling? Phone Post 3.0

zackthewops#1fan - The benefit that Mendes has is the coaching of Ludwig. Conor is a masterful display of water like movement and power. Duane breaks down strikers as well, if not better than any coach in the world, so that will be a great fight.
The 145 division is going to ridiculously exciting for the next couple of years. Phone Post 3.0
Ludwig left alpha male?
Thought the only guy he still coached was Dillashaw. Phone Post 3.0

I think the "IT" factor is that McGregor more so than most in the 145 division has a great fight IQ and is able to figure out fighter's and expose them better than most.

Length and greater movement mixed with his ever growing arsenal of kicks would suggest to me a fighter of Mendes' size and style would have a tough time getting a hold of McGregor if he gets a minute or 2 to get his timing. I would assume McGregor would use front kicks and the threat of knee's and uppercuts in the early stages to force/persuade Mendes to stand taller.
Would be interesting if Mendes finds a way in though

I believe that McGregor would probably tko Mendes, I believe McGregor will only continue to improve and get better but as stated we don't know how he will respond to a good wrestler Phone Post 3.0

Would watch Conor fight/dismantle anyone. Nothing better than watching hype backed up by reality. Love watching Conor and other guys with unique limber styles.

Mastiff88 - I think the "IT" factor is that McGregor more so than most in the 145 division has a great fight IQ and is able to figure out fighter's and expose them better than most.

Length and greater movement mixed with his ever growing arsenal of kicks would suggest to me a fighter of Mendes' size and style would have a tough time getting a hold of McGregor if he gets a minute or 2 to get his timing. I would assume McGregor would use front kicks and the threat of knee's and uppercuts in the early stages to force/persuade Mendes to stand taller.
Would be interesting if Mendes finds a way in though
I would argue the "it" factor has more to do with having a "bullet proof mind" as Connor would say. His confidence is on another level. He's completely fearless. He truly believes he'll win and doesn't fear losing. You can throw flashy kicks and fight with your hands down if you're not. When he eventually loses, as everyone does, they will all say "he was too cocky", but that is exactly what got him this far. Phone Post 3.0

Barrington Levy - I'm not trying to compare the two because Conor has not yet become a UFC champion, but Mendes had nothing for Aldo. Absolutely nothing. Though this is hypothetical, I'm willing to bet that Conors pure grappling ability is better than Aldos.

I thought Aldo was a high level black belt from Nova Uniao? It may be a bit premature to assume Conor is a better grappler than him.